mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New Carbonfan Wheels

I just received my new wheelset from Carbonfan.com. I am participating in their customer review plan and received a discount on the wheelset. That being said I'll do my best to provide as honest and impartial review. Check out the pictures below and the Youtube video I made here. This review is just for unboxing and setting up the wheelset. Ride review to come at a later date.

Wheelset Details:
    29" Carbonfan XY Asymmetric Rims - 29mm internal/35mm external width, 28H
    DT Swiss 350 Boost, straight pull, centerlock
    Sapim CX Ray and black aluminum nipples
    Weight: 676g (F) + 782g (R) = 1458g (without tape/valves)
    New Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_191913.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_192019.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_192152.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_193316.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_193700.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_193732.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_205235.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_204907.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_205017.jpg
    New Carbonfan Wheels-20170506_145258.jpgNew Carbonfan Wheels-20170507_095922.jpg

Additional Thoughts:
    I emailed with Carbonfan all of my questions and Nathan was very good about answering every question.
    Bike is a large Pivot Mach 429 Trail.
    I had a difficult time deciding between 26mm and 29mm internal width rims for my Specialized Purgatory (F) and Ground Control (R) tires, both 29"x2.3". I decided on the 29mm IW because Specialized specifies 29/30mm IW rims for their trail bikes with the same size tires. My previous wheels were DT Swiss Spline M1700 which were 22.5 IW. The increase in volume with the new rims are pretty noticable and the casing width increased from 2.2" to 2.3".
    I wasn't able to weigh the rims individually but I calculated the rims to average about 411g each using published weights of the hubs/spokes/nipples.
    Initial quality seems good. I didn't see anything that made me concerned about the riding the wheels.
    I placed my order through the Carbonfan website and provided feedback to help make the process more straightforward.
    It took some time for the wheels to finally ship and delivery time was about a week. Shipping cost was included in the price of the wheels.
    The decals on the rims are removable for those who prefer a stealth look.
    I can't speak to the durability of the rim but it seems pretty robust. No tools were necessary to put the tires on and both aired up with a floor pump. The beads clearly popped into place.

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    thank you, looking forward to see your feedback later.
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review
    Carbonfan Bicycle Industry Co., Ltd

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    subscribed as also keen to hear feedback

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoao View Post
    thank you, looking forward to see your feedback later.
    Is your customer review plan still looking for additional participants? I might be interested.

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalgorn View Post
    Is your customer review plan still looking for additional participants? I might be interested.
    hi Bhaalgorn, would you please send us mail at info@carbonfan.com .
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

First Ride Impressions

So I was able to get a first ride on the new wheels and Iím happy to report that I was impressed with their performance. Bike setup was the same except for the new wheels and slightly reduced tire pressures. Old wheelset was DT Swiss Spline Two M1700: aluminum, 22.5mm internal width, DT Spline hubs with 28 DT Competition straight pull spokes and centerlock; New wheelset is Carbonfan XY AM: carbon, 29mm internal width, DT 350 hubs with 28 Sapim CX Ray straight pull spokes and centerlock. Wheelsets are similar except for differences in the rim and spokes.

The ride was approximately 12 mile loop with 1800í of climbing according to my Garmin Edge 500 computer. Itís a trail Iíve ridden lots of times so Iím familiar with the sections of the trail that are challenging for me. The trail I rode was mostly dirt singletrack with some exposed roots but not really rocky. Throughout the ride, three characteristics seemed to be the most noticeable to me as described below.

Increased traction: Just that. The combination of wider rim and lower tire pressure results in a larger contact patch between tire and trail resulting in increased traction. I had plenty of climbing traction and never felt the rear tire slip, even when I thought it might.

Increased sidewall support: I was concerned that riding such low pressure (18 psi F, 20 psi R) would result in tire squirm but I didnít experience that. Granted my tires are Specialized Grid casing so they do offer increased sidewall support. The tires felt more stable in off-camber sections of the trail where I normally would exercise some caution. Also the bike felt like it was more stable cornering at speed.

Increased stiffness: I noticed a more distinct transfer of power to the wheels from the cranks. DW Link bikes already exhibit this trait but I seemed more pronounced with the carbon wheelset. This could also be attributed to the decreased rotating mass of the carbon rims. I also remember some pretty brake-rutted sections of the trail where the wheels held their line admirably well, probably better than my aluminum wheelset would have. While stiffer, I didnít feel the rims were overly stiff. In fact the ride quality on the new wheelset felt pretty normal. Increased tire volume and lower pressures probably helped in this area.

I realize my observations are probably typical when going from a narrower aluminum rim to a wider carbon. Furthermore, I donít have any quantifiable data corroborating my experiences. I am only relaying my perceptions of the differences in my bike's handling that specific day, while riding a trail I was familiar with, changing only the wheelset and tire pressures. Your mileage may vary.

New Carbonfan Wheels-trail-pic-1.jpg

New Carbonfan Wheels-trail-pic-2.jpg

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    this is the most value able review We have never seen, we have translated this and send to ours engineer team actually. hope You enjoy your riding all the time .
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

Dropshot Champ!
    looks like auburn, thanks for the review!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    this is the most value able review We have never seen, we have translated this and send to ours engineer team actually. hope You enjoy your riding all the time .
    Happy to hear you found my review valuable. Thank you for offering a nice product at a competitive price point! I'm enjoying the new wheels so far and am looking forward to putting more miles on them! I'll provide updates with how the wheels are holding up after more extended miles. Sorry you hadn't seen my review. I thought you might have been subscribed to the thread since you posted here prior. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    looks like auburn, thanks for the review!
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the review. Yep, Foresthill Divide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This is timely as I received a set of Carbonfan wheels myself recently. Not part of the customer review plan, did not know they had that, but here's my short term review. Ordered 27.5 XY asym wheels, 34id/40od to run 2.8 tires on my Canfield EPO. Went with Hope Pro4 hubs and Pillar bladed spokes. I came up with about 1600g just ballparking weights on their website and wheelset came in actual at 1616g so that was impressive. Got regular AM layup and not the DH version.

Delivery time was 2.5 weeks from order and arrived well packaged and undamaged. The wheel build is spot on and perfectly true. I requested 3x vs standard 2x build which they did. The included tape fit perfect and mounted up Maxxis Rekon 2.8's with zero problems, Beads seated in with a reassuring pop. Aired up to 35 PSI and rolled around to spread the sealant, checked the next day and still holding.

I've got 100 ish miles now through rocky AZ terrain with minor jumps and drops, they have been perfect thus far. No pops, pings, flex or other unwanted stuff and still perfectly true. Very solid performance and hard to beat the price.

I did have an issue getting system emails from them (no order confirmation or shipping notice) but Nathan answered my queries very promptly an apologized for the email issue. One suggestion I have is to include manufacturer instructions for whatever hub is chosen if possible. I ran into an issue mounting SRAM XD cassette and had to go to Hopeís website to figure out the end cap has to come off to tighten down. Never ran Hope hubs so wasnít aware but helpful if the instructions had come with the wheels.

Iíll report back longer term but so far so good and would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Some pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_173932.jpg  

New Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_173713.jpg  

New Carbonfan Wheels-20170504_173744.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice review. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    It was time for me to get another wheelset - and these intrigued me. I currently have bikes on LB carbon wheelsets, DT swiss 1501 spline wheelsets for comparison.

The setup I went for from Carbonfan is as follows:

27.5 XY asymmetric rims, 35mm od / 29mm id, 28 holes
    mounted up onto DT swiss 240s 100/142 6 bolt straight pull hubs
    pillar spokes and brass nipples

Selecting the configuration on their website was fairly straightforward - except their automatic weight estimator was not functioning - not a big deal, but it warranted an email to see what their customer service was all about.

Email sent, and Nathan responded in a timely fashion (especially considering time differences between Canada and China. He provided the approx weights of my items and was looking at 1200g total - alarm bells going off, no way it could be that light. Re-checked and only one rim had been calculated in - I need both!

So estimated weight was then reset at 1450 (ish) g.

Price looked good, and shipping from China to Vancouver was included.

A few more emails, back and forth, and I was willing to place the order now button on the 16th of May. Paypal order went smooth, and then I waited.

I knew it would take a bit of time - "custom" build and shipping, plus getting through Canadian customs.

By the 4th of June, I still had not heard anything about the build/wheels being shipped. So I sent another email to Nathan - he responded within an hour, advising that the wheels had been shipped a few days before - and he then provided me with a tracking number. For some reason their automated system failed to send me the tracking number ahead of time - No harm, no foul, and the wheels appeared on my doorstep on the 6th of June.

I did have to pay $60 taxes to the Canadian government - That is no fault of Carbonfan, and like death, taxes are unavoidable.

The wheels arrived fully intact, and I am very satisfied with the initial quality of both the wheelbuild, and the apparent quality of the carbon rims. Into the truing stand - they are running true / no hopping, dished properly, and spoke tension on all spokes was checked with satisfactory results. The bladed spokes gave no indication of spoke windup during the build process.

Wheelset weight, with no rim tape and no valves came to 770g rear, 669g front - 1439g total.

Now for the bad news - I am going to be out of town for the next few days, and am not going to be able to test ride these until mid next week. I hate having shiny new parts waiting to be used.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice! Please provide your thoughts once you're able to ride them. I'm curious how they compare to your other wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Finally had a chance to get a ride in on the carbonfans.

Did a 15 km loop out my backyard on the hardtail with the XM1501 spline wheelset, back home, swapped the carbonfan wheelset onto the same bike , and did the same 15km loop.

Same model / size of tires (carbonfans had brand new rubber on them). Immediately noticed the rotational mass of the carbonfan rear wheel being a bit lighter - for certain it spins up a bit easier (not huge amounts) - more noticeable on smooth surfaces then on tech climb.

On rough decents, I notice either the carbonfan wheelset being stiffer, or maybe I need to run a bit less tire pressure as the bike seemed to skip around / deflect off stuff more then the XM1501 wheelset did. Maybe I was more tired and that was it.

I am going to do the same thing on Sunday, except will run the carbonfan wheelset first.

Did not hear any spokes making noises during the ride. Re-checked the tensions, and they were all where they were from when I unpacked the box. Am happy with the product so far. Next weekend I will probably migrate the wheelset to the FS bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    ...On rough decents, I notice either the carbonfan wheelset being stiffer, or maybe I need to run a bit less tire pressure as the bike seemed to skip around / deflect off stuff more then the XM1501 wheelset did. ...
    When I switched from 21mm IW rims to 29mm IW Carbonfan wheels I had to drop tire pressures a pound or two to get the same ride quality, which I attributed the the wider effective tire width with the wider rims.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    When I switched from 21mm IW rims to 29mm IW Carbonfan wheels I had to drop tire pressures a pound or two to get the same ride quality, which I attributed the the wider effective tire width with the wider rims.
    I am not entirely convinced on this as I have done a comparison between the XM1501 wheelset and a easton arc30 wheelset - and did not have the same experience that I have had between the xm1501 and the carbonfans.

It could be that the lighter wheelset does not plow through stuff the same way (gets deflected off of objects more) or it could be that the carbon wheelset is stiffer and instead of absorbing the impacts it is deflecting slightly?

Either way, it is not a deal breaker - more a matter of adjusting tire pressure and / or suspension settings slightly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    This is timely as I received a set of Carbonfan wheels myself recently. Not part of the customer review plan, did not know they had that, but here's my short term review. Ordered 27.5 XY asym wheels, 34id/40od to run 2.8 tires on my Canfield EPO. Went with Hope Pro4 hubs and Pillar bladed spokes. I came up with about 1600g just ballparking weights on their website and wheelset came in actual at 1616g so that was impressive. Got regular AM layup and not the DH version.

Delivery time was 2.5 weeks from order and arrived well packaged and undamaged. The wheel build is spot on and perfectly true. I requested 3x vs standard 2x build which they did. The included tape fit perfect and mounted up Maxxis Rekon 2.8's with zero problems, Beads seated in with a reassuring pop. Aired up to 35 PSI and rolled around to spread the sealant, checked the next day and still holding.

I've got 100 ish miles now through rocky AZ terrain with minor jumps and drops, they have been perfect thus far. No pops, pings, flex or other unwanted stuff and still perfectly true. Very solid performance and hard to beat the price.

I did have an issue getting system emails from them (no order confirmation or shipping notice) but Nathan answered my queries very promptly an apologized for the email issue. One suggestion I have is to include manufacturer instructions for whatever hub is chosen if possible. I ran into an issue mounting SRAM XD cassette and had to go to Hopeís website to figure out the end cap has to come off to tighten down. Never ran Hope hubs so wasnít aware but helpful if the instructions had come with the wheels.

Iíll report back longer term but so far so good and would not hesitate to buy from them again.
    What size was the perfect fitting included tape?

I ordered wheels with the same same OD40/ID34 rims but didn't order the tubeless tape.
    I have 24 mm tape at home but wonder if I should get something wider or get the tape from Carbonfan....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    I am not entirely convinced on this as I have done a comparison between the XM1501 wheelset and a easton arc30 wheelset - and did not have the same experience that I have had between the xm1501 and the carbonfans.

It could be that the lighter wheelset does not plow through stuff the same way (gets deflected off of objects more) or it could be that the carbon wheelset is stiffer and instead of absorbing the impacts it is deflecting slightly?

Either way, it is not a deal breaker - more a matter of adjusting tire pressure and / or suspension settings slightly.
    Going to a 29mm iw rim gives your tires sidewalls more support so they don't foldover anymore when you hit a rock in a corner. The sidewall just crinkles. This means you can run less air pressure and get more traction and more bump compliance. You can go down to just above where the worst spot on your ride creates rim hits.

So the point is you should forget how your old wheelset felt. Push the new one farther and you'll still be ok. But with a lot more traction and slower slide-out with time to recover. You can use that traction better with a faster rolling smaller shorter knob tire.

Try 16 front and 19-20 rear. Get a gauge and pack a hand pump for testing. My front was still holding at 11psi by mistake. In fact it had the best cornering traction but the rim hits were the limiting factor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    On the site I see the description of rims available includes 65mm, 55mm, 50mm outer width I presume. So likely 59mm, 49mm and 44mm. I can't find those sizes. 29 preferably. 27.5 and 26 for others.
    In the wheel build section I'd like to see Sapim Laser spokes instead of or in addition to the CX Rays. Lasers could be used at no extra cost instead of $120 upcharge and they are the same specs as the CX Rays, just not flattened. I'd like to see Sapim brass Polyax nipples. Aluminum for others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakoo View Post
    What size was the perfect fitting included tape?

I ordered wheels with the same same OD40/ID34 rims but didn't order the tubeless tape.
    I have 24 mm tape at home but wonder if I should get something wider or get the tape from Carbonfan....
    I believe their tape is 25mm, but I'm not near home right now to confirm. Just has to cover the spoke holes and sit down in the middle channel so if yours does that should be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    I believe their tape is 25mm, but I'm not near home right now to confirm. Just has to cover the spoke holes and sit down in the middle channel so if yours does that should be good.
    So their tape doesn't cover the whole inside of the rim, only the middle channel?

mtbr member
    IDK about their tape, but that's what I do with my tape, just cover the holes.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I was also planning just to cover the holes but was told by some people to cover the whole inside of the rim if nessecary with two layers..

When you are waiting for your new wheels you think to much about these things.

I mailed Nathan info@carbonfan.com and he said they use 27mm for the 34ID rim

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Sorry our store www.carbonfan.com need to make the description more specific.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk Pro
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sorry our store www.carbonfan.com need to make the description more specific.
    So what's the answer for the 65mm, 55mm, 50mm rims. Which I assume are 59mm, 49mm and 44mm inner rims.

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    So what's the answer for the 65mm, 55mm, 50mm rims. Which I assume are 59mm, 49mm and 44mm inner rims.
    yes you are right . The inner width is 6mm less then outer width .
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    I could't find any 65mm, 55mm, 50mm rims on the carbonfan website,

Can you give us a link?

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    You mean the out wider is 65mm,55mm,50mm rims? that would be fat wheels. right? We will update fat wheel soon
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Actually those sizes work for 29 and 27.5 Plus tires 2.8" to 3.25" wide that are available now with other new tires coming out often. And 2.6" 29 tires are now coming to market that could use a 49 or 44mm inner width rim depending on the tire roundness profile. Asymmetrical rims like the versions you now offer only wider would be the way to go.

This is from your website.-

"Talking about MTB carbon rims, we cannot imagine where on earth in the world, or in China if to be somehow modest, can make out such a lots rims with different size (29er, 650B, 26er), and with different width (65mm, 55mm, 50mm, 45mm, 40mm, 38mm, 35mm, 27mm...), and with normal and asymmetric shapes. Here, itís just the real origin of carbon mountain rims. Believe us, people can find every size and every shape in this city, except that you wanna find a "square" rim instead of round one. It's called CITY OF RIMS. Every month, more than 20,000 rims (mountain and road ones) come out of this city. CARBONFAN rims are in them, too, of course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any update on those wider rims on your site, Shoao? That's the listed 65, 60 and 55mm rims.

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    @eb1888 hi, We did update our system now we have

https://www.carbonfan.com/2017-carbo...mm-height-25mm

those two designs available for MTB biker
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I received my Carbonfan wheelset 2 days after they sent me an email that it was shipped.
    It took 23 days from ordering till receiving my new wheels, not bad.
    I ordered :
    DtSwiss 350 Straight Pull Front not Boost 15x100 back boost 148x12 SramXX1
    Front and back 28 spokes Pillar aero x-tba 1420
    Asymmetric XY 29er rims outer width 40mm internal width 34 mm
    Internal nipples
    No decals
    The wheels look great , internal nipples,no decals and straight pull hubs makes them look very clean.
    Front wheel is 730gr the back one 830gr so 1560gr for the set
    I believe that is 3,44 lbs, not bad for an 29er 34 IW wheelset!

I taped the spoke holes with 19 mm TESA 4287 and used tune valves

In the front I put a Maxxis Minion DHF+ 3C MaxxTerra TR EXO 29+ , it didn't loose any air in 24 hours without any milk. Very confidence inspiring. Only thing I donít like about this tire is the size and color of MAXXIS, perhaps use a permanent marker?
    On the rear I have a used Nobby Nic 29x2.6 that was flat in an hour without milk
    Perhaps I have to get another tire for the rear , the new 29x2.6 Addix Nobby Nic is still a bit more expensive.. but it fits so very nice in the back of my Jeffsy
    I didnít put any milk in because:
    -I am injured so I can take my time
    -Perhaps I should use more tape, I have also got 25 mm TESA 4287
    -I just want to know if a tire works without any milk or not , I hate these sweating tires.
    It was no problem putting both tires on by hand without tools and with just a floor pump both tires settled with a bang at 1.8 bar(26Psi) but I didnít manage to get the tires off by hand and that is a good thing I think.
    I will come back with pictures and ride impressions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just received my new wheelset from Carbonfan.com. I am participating in their customer review plan and received a discount on the wheelset. That being said I'll do my best to provide as honest and impartial review. In my initial review, I will be touching on my experience with the ordering process, delivery time, and the product I received.
    Wheelset:
    29" Carbonfan XY Asymmetric Rims - 24mm internal/30mm external width, 28H
    DT Swiss 350 Boost, straight pull, centerlock
    Pillar Aero X-tba 1420
    Weight: 651g (F) + 780g (R) = 1431g (without tape/valves)

The Ordering process is very simple and easy to use. The only thing that would make it a little better is if there was a wheelset weight calculator that updated as you made changes within the wheelset configuration. That being said I used other means to come up with an expected weight for these wheels. I expected them to come in around 1488g and as you can see above in the wheel detail they came in 57g lower. So iím happy with that.
    Next, I will touch on delivery time. My wheels took about 45 days to get to me but we have to consider the rimís needed to be manufactured, all the components of the wheel need to be gathered up and built. The last factor is actual shipping which was surprisingly short once I got the notification. All in all you have to take into fact that the shipping was free.
    Last, I will touch on the wheelset and build of the wheelset. Once I opened the box I was immediately impressed with the weight. The rimís looked clean, had no blemishes in the carbon or anything that made me second guess the purchase. The rest of the wheelset was the just as clean as the rims.
    Before I got to transferring tires, cassettes and rotors I checked the build of the wheels. I found the front wheel to be slightly out of true in one place and out of round just slightly. The rear also had one small spot that was not perfectly true. However, the spoke tension was very consistent from side to side on both front and rear.
    I used Gorilla tape for my rimstrip because I have allways had good luck with it. I mounted a pair of Bontrager XR3 TLR tires to the wheels without Stans to see how the rim, rim strip, and tire worked together. No problem, great seal between the tire and rim.
    In conclusion, I am happy with what I purchased and find them to be a great value at $688 shipped compared to other brands that are several hundred more or name brand Aluminum wheelsets that can not touch the weight. I will update once I have some ride time on them with hopefully more insight for everyone.

carbonfan
    Feb 2017
    Thanks for your guy's review, We are looking for more feedbacks.
    www.carbonfan.com
    Carbonfan wheels review

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    @eb1888 hi, We did update our system now we have

those two designs available for MTB biker
    Those are good additions. Asym versions would be attractive with 5mm wider rims as a second option a further bonus.
    Keep up the good development work.