Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    A wheelist

New BWW Scandium wheelset. (Sob/Cry)

A new Bicycle Wheel Warehouse wheelset arrived this morning and I'm quite upset. (sob/sniff) Why? you ask. These wheels are not for me; they're for The Woman I Mechanic For. I'll never (bawl) get to (sob) ride them.

Andrea's a vet women racer, as light as a bird and she wins most of her races. She really needed a super light set of wheels to do her light body and bike weight justice. Her current wheels - Mavic 819/DT 240/DT Comp - weighed a whopping 2030 grams.

BWW's Chris suggested this build -

• BWW Pure XCR hubs - blue.
    • Alex Scandium rims (a feathery 315g each )
    • Sapim CX-Ray spokes - black.
    • Aluminum nipples - blue

I weighed them -
    Wheelset - 1391g
    BWW skewers - 118g
    BWW rim tapes - 28g

So the difference between Andrea's old wheels and the new ones is -
    Old 2030g
    New 1391g
    Difference - 639g or 22.5oz or 1lb 6.5oz.
    That is a whopping difference and she will feel this.

Here's the linky to BWW's Scandium rim wheelsets with a plethora of custom options. This set prices out at $703.50.

What can I say about the BWW wheels that hasn't been said many times? They are well built, high tension, tensions equal (ping = ping), spoke heads seated and threads lubed. This is the fifth set of their wheels that has passed through my hands and they're all well built and standing up fine to their intended use.

Now I have the task of e-mailing her to tell her that her wheels are in. I wonder if I could sneak a ride on them? Naww, knowing my luck I'd dent a rim. I'll just have to ride vicariously through her. That way I'll get to win a race too.

Many thanks to Chris & Pat at BWW.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike T.; 05-26-2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

ol' dusty lungs
    Nice wheels! She is going to love those. That is the same set that I wanted to build but eventually decided that the scandium rims might not hold up over the long term for everyday riding.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Dee-Ang!

Nice. Have you picked the tires yet?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    Interesting that the rear wheel is laced the "King" way and not the "Shimano" way. I don't think it makes much difference, but I wonder if that is by chance or they specifically lace that way for a reason (other than its easier to lace up symmetrically IME).

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Nice. Have you picked the tires yet?
    I'd forgotten she had some Continental Twisters at 425g each. So they will be going on.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

A wheelist
    They're done the way I like to do 'em - heads-out pullers that leave the drive side puller spoke on the outside of the final cross - which of course pulls the final cross away from the derailer cage. Plus the non-pullers are heads-in which places the elbow on the outside of the flange and IF** the chain derails over the top of the cassette the less stressed non-pullers would take the trauma. I like that BWW spokes them that way.

**I mechanic the bike so the chances of the chain going over the top of the cassette are like NIL!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    They're done the way I like to do 'em - heads-out pullers that leave the drive side puller spoke on the outside of the final cross - which of course pulls the final cross away from the derailer cage. Plus the non-pullers are heads-in which places the elbow on the outside of the flange and IF** the chain derails over the top of the cassette the less stressed non-pullers would take the trauma. I like that BWW spokes them that way.

**I mechanic the bike so the chances of the chain going over the top of the cassette are like NIL!
    I use to insist on lacing my driveside spokes the other way. Now I do not care as long as the valve hole in the right place.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    They're laced the way I have always built wheels but I've seen others built the Shimano way...I was just currious if BWW laces them that way for a reason besides it being easier.

I did build up one set the Shimano way and it was a PIA...probably because I wasn't used to it

mtbr member
    That's an awesome Electric Blue!!! Should make a very nice blur when whizzing by

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one
    That's an awesome Electric Blue!!! Should make a very nice blur when whizzing by
    They have a new color - turquoise - that's really close to availability. We were offered those if we wanted a short wait. I see they're offering turquoise nipples already.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A new Bicycle Wheel Warehouse wheelset arrived this morning and I'm quite upset. (sob/sniff) Why? you ask. These wheels are not for me; they're for The Woman I Mechanic For. I'll never (bawl) get to (sob) ride them.
    [/url]
    I know your pain, holding them and knowing they are not for you is a lot like seeing a big box full of puppies and being allergic to dander, just not fair.
    Last edited by Patsaysjack; 05-27-2009 at 11:11 AM.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsaysjack
    I know your pain, holding them and knowing they are not for you is a lot like seeing a big box full of puppies and being allergic to dander, just not fairl.
    For me it's like seeing a 1/2 gallon of double chocolate ice cream and knowing there is no-way I wanna put back any of the 25lbs I've just lost.

BTW Pat - have the turquoise hubs arrived yet?

mtbr member
    Those are VERY sweet Mike! Make sure to get some pics with them mounted on her bike!
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    For me it's like seeing a 1/2 gallon of double chocolate ice cream and knowing there is no-way I wanna put back any of the 25lbs I've just lost.
    Don't worry 1/2 gallon of ice cream will never make 25lbs. Go ahead and dig in

Good job on loosing 25lbs, though.

apaju

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by apaju
    Don't worry 1/2 gallon of ice cream will never make 25lbs. Go ahead and dig in
    Apaju, a tiny bowl of the &^%$# stuff will put 25lbs on. That's how it works.

Actually my post was carefully worded - "put back any.......". I can't let it get even a toe-hold.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Actually my post was carefully worded - "put back any.......". I can't let it get even a toe-hold.
    I have to admit, I missed that eloquence. Good luck with keeping your weight!

apaju

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Why didn't she just use her existing 240s hubs for the build?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    They have a new color - turquoise - that's really close to availability. We were offered those if we wanted a short wait. I see they're offering turquoise nipples already.
    My girlfriend is going to want a set of these. The rim will be the tough choice.
    i ride bikes

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    Why didn't she just use her existing 240s hubs for the build?
    I think it's a very good idea that she has a spare set of wheels and possibly use the heavy ones for everyday training.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    that blue is awesome, wish i had a somewhat blue bike
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    that blue is awesome, wish i had a somewhat blue bike.

how long was the wait. i ordered a set from this last friday the 22nd. should i expect them this week even with memorial day?
    Honk your horn if im paying for your mortgage!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by russelr
    how long was the wait. i ordered a set from this last friday the 22nd. should i expect them this week even with memorial day?
    These were on order for quite a while. We were waiting for the turquoise to arrive at BWW. Then they found the blue had been shipped from their supplier and not the turquoise. So, rather than wait, Andrea decided to go with the blue. Then shipping up to Canada takes longer. Plus BWW is busier than a one-armed wallpaperer right now. And so it goes. They took a while but it wasn't a problem at this end.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in having a new wheelset built, but they don't carry any really lightweight hubs that are 6 bolt disc specific and they don't accept customer supplied parts. Getting the very expensive DT 190 CL hubs to use them with 30g adapters would make no sense. Tune hubs are hard to get in the US. They could offer American Classic 130 and 225 disc hubs though.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1
    I'm interested in having a new wheelset built, but they don't carry any really lightweight hubs that are 6 bolt disc specific
    What about DT-Swiss 240? I had a weight for their BWW Pure hubs and it wasn't a great deal more than the 240 but I now forget what it was. For the difference in cost between the Pure and the 240 it didn't seem worth it for a few grams. Their web page weights are very accurate so maybe it can be figured from their site.

mtbr member
    The DT 240 hubs are 72g heavier and considerably more expensive than the AC hubs.

Plus I like the AC rear hub better, because the freehub body is equipped with 3 steel faced splines so the cassette will not damage the aluminum (the cassette eating into the aluminium freehub body is a common problem with other hubs).

American Classic
    Disc 130 Front Hub: 130g, $140
    Disc 225 Rear Hub: 225g, $240
    Total: 355g, $380

DT 240 6-bolt Disc
    Front Hub: 154g, $205
    Rear Hub: 273g, $305
    Total: 427g, $510

DT 190 Centerlock
    Front Hub: 105g + 30g (adapter), $385
    Rear Hub: 210g + 30g (adapter), $575
    Total: 375g, $960

BWW Pure XCR
    Front Hub: ???, $140-150
    Rear Hub: ???, $185-195
    Total: 462g (*), $325-345

(*) According to the BWW website, the Pure XCR hubs are 35g heavier than the DT 240's.
    Last edited by sfer1; 05-27-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast