Kid disguised as an adult

New Arch EX 29er wheelset- $500 well spent

Just took my first ride on my new wheelset and was amazed at the difference! I shed more than a pound of rotating weight compared to my old set, but I didn't expect as much improvement as I found. I even have both wheelsets set up with the same tires, skewers and even rotors. Before my regular ride I rode the old wheels around a 1 mile singletrack practice loop, so I'd have a baseline for comparison. Then I immediately did the same loop with the new wheels and oh baby! I guess the people who recommend upgrading the wheels and tires first are right. I'm a happy camper.
    I was originally planning on building my own wheels, but I found that in my price range I couldn't find cartridge bearing hubs that I felt confident in using, and I couldn't afford to step up into the Hope Pro II range. I didn't think I could build wheels any better than the Stan's wheels for the same money, so I bought a set on sale from Tree Fort Bikes (nice folks to deal with BTW). I figure it'll just be a matter of time before I want another set for my other bike. For now I'll switch 'em between bikes.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to decide between the Arch EX's and the Flow EX's. Currently riding Mavic 719's with X9 hubs and their heavy, but bulletproof. Leaning towards the Arch's for the weight gain and since I'm 200lbs with camelpak, they should be fine for my type of trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice.

I ebay'd a slightly used Crest set, and already have some Maxxis Ikon tires here waiting for them. And some Stan's goop to run it all tubeless. After reading this I really am excited for the wheels to arrive and get them put together.

Congrats -

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    I'm trying to decide between the Arch EX's and the Flow EX's. Currently riding Mavic 719's with X9 hubs and their heavy, but bulletproof. Leaning towards the Arch's for the weight gain and since I'm 200lbs with camelpak, they should be fine for my type of trail riding.
    I'm maybe 5pnds heavier and i just mounted the arch ex on my bike,went with the captain
    controls.

Kid disguised as an adult
    I'm running a Captain Control 29x2.2 on front and an S-Works Ground Control 29x2.1 on the rear, both tubeless with home brew sealant.
    After a week and several different rides with two different bikes, I'm still totally pleased with the wheels. I checked the tension when new and a couple times after rides and they haven't needed any tweaking at all.
    If you turn the light on fast enough,
    you can see what the dark looks like.

turtles make me hot
    I laced some Arch EXs to some hope hubs for my buddy and he raves about em. Made me want to buy some Flows.
    I like turtles