Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need Tall, narrow tire for narrow HT chainstays..

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SDizzle 
#1 ·
I need a tall, yet narrow tire for my '98 GF KaiTai rear. I don't run high pressure, so I can get a little more cushion. I don't want to go to 'no tubes'. I need traction and tread similar to a Fire XC pro, also the width or slightly wider. A conti 2.3 vertical pro fits, but is there something taller?. I used a Nokian 2.3 NBX, but the knobs rip off and the knobs would hit the chainstays on the corners. I guess what I need is a tire with the width of a 2.1, tall as a real 2.3, with a tread like a Fire. Black sidewalls running 'yes tubes'. Ride in the NE, all year, and all conditions. The rim is a Rhyno lite.
Any suggestions from you tire meisters out there? :D
Thanks
SB

#2 ·
Spongebob said:
I need a tall, yet narrow tire for my '98 GF KaiTai rear. I don't run high pressure, so I can get a little more cushion. I don't want to go to 'no tubes'. I need traction and tread similar to a Fire XC pro, also the width or slightly wider. A conti 2.3 vertical pro fits, but is there something taller?. I used a Nokian 2.3 NBX, but the knobs rip off and the knobs would hit the chainstays on the corners. I guess what I need is a tire with the width of a 2.1, tall as a real 2.3, with a tread like a Fire. Black sidewalls running 'yes tubes'. Ride in the NE, all year, and all conditions. The rim is a Rhyno lite.
Any suggestions from you tire meisters out there? :D
Thanks
SB
You can search through my site's spec charts to see what may fit. The Kenda Blue Groove 2.10 or Nevegal 2.10 may work for you.

#4 ·
Hey Shiggy.....

shiggy©®™ said:
You can search through my site's spec charts to see what may fit. The Kenda Blue Groove 2.10 or Nevegal 2.10 may work for you.
You have the 2.0's on your site but not the 2.1 Blue Grooves. Can I assume that they are similar in size to the 2.1 Nevegals since the weights the same?
Thanks
SB

#6 ·
2.25 Geaxs...

are HUGE, but gain all their hugeness from height, and not from width. They're very tall, and all except the Sturdy have reasonably narrow tread profiles. The hight makes them cushy, but can lend sometimes to unpredictable cornering, possibly as a result of a higher center of gravity. They're light and [seemingly] long-lasting, too.

I don't know whether the 2.25 would fit for you, and it might not even be worth a try, but I've heard Geax's 2.0s are tall for their size, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.