mtbr member

Need some opinions - DT XR400, Mavic XC717 or ZTR CREST?

I am riding a 2011 Giant Trance X1. I don't race, and I do like to go off jumps occasionally. Running 2.35 tires F/R. Which rim would you recommend?

I was looking at the ZTR Crest from some reviews, but would like your opinions, before I pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Since your bike is going to see airtime, I'd say none of the above unless you're light & smooth. I've used the 717 and XR400 on my own personal bikes and ridden the ZTR Crest on a friend's bike. They do not inspire confidence when I start airing out jumps & drops on my XC hardtail, if I land a bit sideways I can feel the wheels flex and the bike goes off-line, and when used as a rear wheel they get banged out of true too easily. For reference, my usual rims are the Mavic 719, they're stiffer and far stronger, even a week of DH runs at Mont Ste Anne failed to knock them out of true.

If I had to pick a rim in that weight range, I'd go with the WTB Frequency i19. It's wider than the Mavic and resists flat spotting better than ZTR Crests. They're around the same for lateral stiffness but the WTB has better vertical strength & stiffness so it handles impacts better than the ZTR, and overall it stays in true better though not as well as a 719. I still wouldn't use one since I'm likely to do something dumb enough to trash the rims every year or 2, which is why I went with the i23 to replace my existing set of 719s. As for the DT XR400, I'd say it's about even or a touch below the i19 while being a bit heavier and fair bit more expensive where I live. The main difference was ease in building the wheel, the DT needed more fine tuning and de-stressing to get it round & true, it took me about 30% longer to finish the build.

So in order of preference:
    1) WTB Frequency i19
    2) DT XR400
    3) ZTR Crest
    4) Mavic 717

And if you give me a clean sheet of paper, Mavic XM719 Disc rear, WTB i19 front. DT revolution spokes on front non-disc side, DT competitions everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    How about ZTR Flow's? I want to run tubeless, since I have UST tires currently and running tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
    How about ZTR Flow's? I want to run tubeless, since I have UST tires currently and running tubeless.
    AFAIK Flows are not UST rims, so you'd have to use sealant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    AFAIK Flows are not UST rims, so you'd have to use sealant.
    Yea, I understand that I would have to get the Stans rim tape and valve.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    XR400s are not durable at all. Not at all recommended for technical/rocky and advanced riding if you're over 160 lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
    I'd go with the WTB Frequency i23, builds up nicer than ZTR Flows and has a proper UST compatible inner sidewall design. Stronger too.