• 01-19-2013
    jbsmith
    Need a rim recommendation for SS
    Hi,
    I have an older frame that I've converted (in process of) making a SS. The rear rim needs replacing so I'm looking for some recommendations for a strong rear rim that is a rim brake. To give an idea of what I normally ride...I run Stan's Flows on my other bike. I'm pretty rough on wheels (220lbs) but the flows have held up great.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated - obviously with the age of the bike I don't want to spend $300 for a rim so cost is a factor.

Thanks!
  • 01-19-2013
    Bike Whisperer
    Assuming it's a 26" bike, Mavic X719 is very strong while still be fairly light. It's not cheap at $85 a rim but not terrible.

Of course on the cheap, the Sun Rhyno Lite is cheap and durable, but a little heavy for a single speed.
  • 01-19-2013
    hoolie
    I would think the WTB Dual Duty are strong, I always had good luck with WTB. Whatever you go with, I would try to see rim cross section diagram before purchasing.
  • 01-19-2013
    jbsmith
    I was looking at the x719 as I've mostly ridden mavics in the past (before the Stan's)
  • 01-19-2013
    jbsmith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I would think the WTB Dual Duty are strong, I always had good luck with WTB. Whatever you go with, I would try to see rim cross section diagram before purchasing.

What are you looking for/at in the cross section?
  • 01-19-2013
    KTMwoodsrider
    WTB i23 frequency 29r rim.
  • 01-20-2013
    jbsmith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KTMwoodsrider View Post
    WTB i23 frequency 29r rim.

Thanks, that looks like a disc only rim...actually I looked at WTB's site and it looks like all their rims are disc.
  • 01-20-2013
    Shalom
    Seconding the X719 - excellent rim that can build into a very solid wheel.
  • 01-20-2013
    jbsmith
    I'll probably go with the 719.

Is the Mavic x719 easy to build? I've recently taken up that art and have been told some rims are harder to build than others - which I assume means being able to true.
  • 01-20-2013
    Bike Whisperer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    I'll probably go with the 719.

Is the Mavic x719 easy to build? I've recently taken up that art and have been told some rims are harder to build than others - which I assume means being able to true.

Mavic rims have always been some of the easiest rims to build IME. Lace up true, round, and even tension. :thumbsup: