mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Need input on spokes for new wheel build

Going to have a new wheelset built for my bronson. Planning on getting hope pro 4 hubs with dt xm481 rims. Where I donít need help is spoke count 28 vs 32, and double butted vs strait gauge spokes. I am 165 lbs with gear and generally ride a mix of trails, very little bikepark and not much airtime. I do enjoy ripping down the hill and hard cornering.

mtbr member
    Never had a single problem rolling on DT Swiss double butted competition spokes with brass nips.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Elitest thrill junkie
    No good reason to use straight gauge spokes, but on aluminum rims more spokes might be beneficial in keeping the wheel from feeling too flexy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Sapim race or dt comp

eri
    mtbr member
    Good thread here:

How much do rim and hub stiffness matter?

In my opinion: Weight gain going to 32 is totally worth it, get spokes butted as narrow as you can build (revolutions are too twisty). Brass nipples are traditionally the most durable, thinking corrosion in the wet - I've been riding for decades and rim always gives out before my alloy nipples.

My last wheel was lightbicycle, Sapim race and their long alloy nipples, wheel has been great. Use a tensiometer!
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    You'd be crazy not to go with 32 spokes in my opinion. Sapim Race, DT Competition, and Wheelsmith DB14 are all great options for double butted spokes which I would use. Those rims come with DT's aluminum squorx spokes and washers so you might as well use them but make sure that they are built with anti-seize and all the usual caveats about aluminum nipples apply.

mtbpete
    Sapim Race 2.0/1.8/2.0 spokes or DT Swiss competition spokes are a great choice. 28 hole rims will save you about 50g in spokes. With the xm481 rims the durability will be fine at your weight, but 32 hole rims will always give you more room for error.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by fdes View Post
    Going to have a new wheelset built for my bronson. Planning on getting hope pro 4 hubs with dt xm481 rims. Where I donít need help is spoke count 28 vs 32, and double butted vs strait gauge spokes. I am 165 lbs with gear and generally ride a mix of trails, very little bikepark and not much airtime. I do enjoy ripping down the hill and hard cornering.

Which tires you'll run, and at what pressures, will help you to narrow this down yet further.

Short-Change-Hero
    Double butted for sure... as other have said, no reason not to go with them. Can always step up a little and go with DT Swiss Comp RACE spokes (yes different than Comp), if I remember correctly they are 2.0/1.6/2.0 instead of 2.0/1.8/2.0. Been riding them for a while now (at 190+ riding weight) and have had zero problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks all, looks like 32 spokes, DT comp or comp race spokes is what I need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Which tires you'll run, and at what pressures, will help you to narrow this down yet further.
    Planning on running DHF front, Aggressor rear. Usually run 21 psi front, 23 psi rear.

mtbr member
    Wheelsmith spokes beat DT on price and weight right now. Quality and durability are the same.