mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Need help finding the right 29er tires

I purchased a used Giant anthem x-29 last year and over all I love the bike. It just wants to go go go. I am new to 29 inch tires (old bike had 26) and I'm having real difficulty cornering, tires seem to want to slide out on any gravely, sandy, rooty terrain and shoot rocks out their side any chance they get. Happens at any PSI. Bike came with tubeless Clement FRJ, 29x2.25 on Stans Crest rims and they just seem to stink when cornering.

I'm on the east cost so most of my cross country riding involves rooty and gravely terrain with some mud thrown in.
    I thinking I might want to try wider 2.3 tires.
    I just want to feel like the bike is not going slide out from under me at any turn.

Any thoughts?

I'm looking at MAXXIS Aspen 29X2.25 EXO/TR Tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I thought Aspen is a race type tire and I would not choose that style if you're after more control.

When I first moved to riding 29r I had to think about getting the tires on their edges and good riding technique. Light hands, heavy feet and getting the tires on edges is vital. Ride the bike like you carve skis.

As a long time Maxxis fan I ended up loving Bontrager SE4 in front and SE3 in back for faster but lots of control riding and SE4 for both if I need the rear climbing and braking traction. I choose SE over XR because they survive greased sharp rocks better. They are a very nice supple and light for heavier duty tire. They are not as square as some Maxxis tires I like but sure work for all types of riding.

You might need to get more comfy with tires moving under you too. Hurry and get a fat bike and start riding on snow to help that.

No matter what I would not be looking at narrow racy tires at same time you have more control in mind.

If my carve or "light hands heavy feet" stuff makes no sense, think about your move to 29r having more foot print. Get that wheel at an angle and as much of that foot print as you can holding you when you turn. Get your bike seat out of the way and weight on the cranks and when appropriate weight on outside pedal.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You really need wide rims to make the most improvement in traction. 35mm inner would be the minimum,imo, possibly more for a front to take a 2.6 tire.
    What would that do?
    It gives your tires sidewall support making foldover impossible. With no foldover you can run lower pressure. This'll give you a bigger more flexible footprint to up traction from high volume very rounded profile tires designed for wide rims.
    It also makes losing traction a more controlled slower process you have time to recover from instead of crashing.

I believe Crests are 21mm inner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I thought Aspen is a race type tire and I would not choose that style if you're after more control.

When I first moved to riding 29r I had to think about getting the tires on their edges and good riding technique. Light hands, heavy feet and getting the tires on edges is vital. Ride the bike like you carve skis.

As a long time Maxxis fan I ended up loving Bontrager SE4 in front and SE3 in back for faster but lots of control riding and SE4 for both if I need the rear climbing and braking traction. I choose SE over XR because they survive greased sharp rocks better. They are a very nice supple and light for heavier duty tire. They are not as square as some Maxxis tires I like but sure work for all types of riding.

You might need to get more comfy with tires moving under you too. Hurry and get a fat bike and start riding on snow to help that.

No matter what I would not be looking at narrow racy tires at same time you have more control in mind.

If my carve or "light hands heavy feet" stuff makes no sense, think about your move to 29r having more foot print. Get that wheel at an angle and as much of that foot print as you can holding you when you turn. Get your bike seat out of the way and weight on the cranks and when appropriate weight on outside pedal.
    Thanks I'll look into SE4's. I am trying to carve more but that's were the sliding comes in and its feels like I'm going to wipe out. especially since rocks are flinging out. Even when I'm just going straight these tires want to eject rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yeah crests have 21mm. I have to do more research to see what my fork and seat stays can take size wise. The original tires on the bike were Racing Ralph 2.25. Maybe I should just go with those

mtbr member
    I have been riding 2.3 DHF and 2.3 DHR II in CT and VT for 2+ seasons. These tires grip everything. Roots, rocks, flow. Everyone in my group eventually switched over to the same combo from all makes of tires. Maxxis Ardents and High Rollers, Schwalbe Nobby Nics, Bontrager, Continental Mountain Kings. All are extremely happy with the switchover. Mine are EXO casing for better sidewall protection and DUAL compound.

Personally, I had Bontrager XR4s which I liked very much for grip, but they didn't wear well. I also had Continental Mountain Kings which were horrible for performance, leaked profusely as a tubeless tire and gave me pinch flats when I went with tubes.
    AreBee

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maxxis tires were designed for your 21mm rims. But you have to keep the pressure up to avoid foldover.
    Bontrager XR2 Team 2.35 on a 35mm rim at much lower pressure would be an alternative for hardpack with loose.
    Even just a new front wheel would be an option.
    They wear well for me. And they have a 2.6 now.
    RS or Fox forks will take both on wide rims. You have to check your frame clearance for a rear.
    I'd pick a Nobby Nic over a RRalph.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm in SE PA. Here is what I love.

Rear - Ikon maxxspeed/exo/tr. Don't know if I'll ever use anything else on the rear. It's perfect for everything except mud. Option 2 is ardent race. Option 3 is spech ground control.

Front - Hans dampf addix orange or blue. Grips almost everything like glue and rolls way faster than it looks like it should. Option 2 is spech butcher. Option 3 nobby nic addix orange or blue.

Might want to stick to 2.25 with crests though.