mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Need help finding bearings for my hub!

I want to replace the bearings in my Hope Pro 2 rear hub. Its really dragging lately.

Problem is, any "kits" are sold in the UK (im in USA), and I'd rather not wait so long.
    this howto Workshop: Replacing The Main Bearings In A Hope Pro II - BikeRadar lists the bearing type as 61903RS, but thats just for the 2 in the main hub. there are 3 more in the freehub. (not sure if those even need replacement). I've heard bearing manufacturer is pretty important, so id rather not shoot blindly on ebay. If anyone can help out, i'd greatly appreciate it!
    09 spec rockhopper comp disc - charcoal grey

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    oh and I have the original pro 2, not the EVO

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Check boca bearing. Just did a quick search, seems it is 6902, 6802, and 6903. It is definitely easier to just replace the main hub bearings. Have you taken off the freehub to see if they're ok, or just need grease?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the bearings in the freehub seem to spin smooth and fine, and so I didnt remove and open them. Mainly because I dont have the specific Hope pro service tools. (i heard hammering them with a socket can damage them)

and damn those boca bearings are expensive! is it because they are abec5 instead of 3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Universal cycles carries Enduro bearings in those sizes and are what I used in my Pro hub($6-8$ each).

You'll need the correct tooling to change out the hub bearings as well. I cut my own, but I know the tooling is reasonable in cost. Especially if you just order it from the UK along with the bearings. Trying to hammer it in with sockets is just going to wreck the seals and/or races.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The boca bearing thing is because it's a kit and I think they are ceramic ball bearings that ups the cost.

You can make a bearing press pretty easily with a bunch of washers and nut and bolt. Plenty of diy's out there on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by forge55b View Post
    You can make a bearing press pretty easily with a bunch of washers and nut and bolt. Plenty of diy's out there on them.
    That works for a headset, but I'm not sure how'd you work that for this hub without monkeying up the bearings. You need to:
    - Press first bearing onto axle, applying force only to the very skinny inner race.
    - Press bearing/axle into hub, applying force only to the outer race.
    - Support the inner race of the now installed bearing and the hub shell.
    - Press the second bearing onto the axle and into the hub shell simultaneously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Can't you just re-use the old bearings as a slug to press in the new bearings?

That's how I've done it on hubs before anyway. Not sure if the Hope is any different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hope hubs rely on a press fit for outside and inside diameters of the bearing. You could you that method to press the first bearing into the shell without the axle, but that's it. You'd still have to press the axle into the bearing and then the second bearing over the shaft and into the shell.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just replace my bearings on my Fasno hub (I'm pretty sure is the same as the Hope pro 2 just for fatbikes, I got "ceramic" bearing at amazon for $20 a piece Here is the link

So far they spin great, the Hope bearings dye in less than 200miles..

In case you are interested here is a Posting on the FatBike forum in the topic..

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks pat. those were some I was eyeballing!