mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Need Help - Conti Race King and Maxxis Monorail

My local bike shop only has a limited inventory of tires.. The best they have are the Continental Race Kings in the 2.2 size and the Maxxis Monorail in the 2.1 size.

My question is: if I get one of each, which one should I run up front?

Naturally I'd run the larger RK up front, but the Monorail looks like it has more grip. Has anyone used this (or similar) tire combination before? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek43K
    My local bike shop only has a limited inventory of tires.. The best they have are the Continental Race Kings in the 2.2 size and the Maxxis Monorail in the 2.1 size.

Naturally I'd run the larger RK up front, but the Monorail looks like it has more grip. Has anyone used this (or similar) tire combination before? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    I don't know much about the Monorail, but I have a Race King 2.2 and would not even think about running it up front. I liked it in the back for a lightning-fast tire, but there are just not enough side knobs for front use (for my tastes, at least).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek43K

Thanks!
    What are their second best tires?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common