mtbr member
    May 2004

Need better tire than Nevegal 2.1 for corning in sand!

My front tire is washing out in corners that have light to medium sand. I would also like to improve the way my bike handles in deeper sand. I donít want to sacrifice too much rolling resistance, since the sand problem Iím having is only on 10-20% of the trails here in central and southern Florida. Iíve run the Specialized pro 2.0, Pana fire 2.0, and now a Kenda Nevegal 2.1. The Nevegal is the best so far, and great on the hardpack, but it is still washing out more than I would like in the sandy corners.

The terrain I ride in Central and Southern Florida includes rocks, coral, hard packed sand covered in forest debris, and occasional loose sand, all FULL of roots. Iím not racing (yet), but ride a full suspension bike aggressively always trying to improve my lap times.
    I thought of running a Nevegal 2.1 in back, but need a better front tire. My ideas are:

Nevegal 2.3 (wider and deeper tread than the Nevegal 2.1)
    Actual size 2.39, tread depth center 4.0 & side 6.5, weight 748g.
    WTB Weirwolf 2.5 (wider and MUCH deeper tread than Nevegal 2.1)
    Actual size 2.39, tread depth center 4.7 & side 8.0, weight 755g.
    Hitchinson Scorpion Gold Elite 2.3 (much wider; same tread depth and weight as 2.1)
    Actual size 2.41, tread depth center 3.2 & side 5.1, weight 662g.

Would any of these be a good choice to improve corning and sand handling on the front without sacrificing too much rolling resistance? Anything better than these above?

Thanks!

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004

Search is your friend...

mtbr member
    May 2004

Which of the three "sand" tires for aggressive XC riding?

Searching is certainly a good thing, and thatís how I came up with the 3 tires Iím considering. What the search didnít reveal is the difference in rolling resistance between the three. They all seem to be good in the sand, but which of them is best for aggressive XC riding?

Several people mentioned the Mutanoraptor Race 2.4. According to Shiggyís site, it has a smaller casing, tread width, and outer tread depth than the Nevegal 2.1 Iím currently using, so I left it out of consideration for a front tire. Might consider for a rear though.

So I guess the question is, which of these 3 ďsandĒ tires would be the best front tire for aggressive XC riding?

Nevegal 2.3
    Weirwolf 2.5 race
    Scorpion Gold 2.3

Thank!

not so super...
    Have you tried the Blue Groove? A 2.35 BG is quite a large tire. It works extremely well in hardpack conditions but I have no sand time with it.
    Nothing to see here.

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    I love the weirwolf 2.5 race. I ride it anywhere between hardpack and wet condtitions and i have never been dissapointed. People who ride it in arizona and new mexico swear by its handling in sand.

_MK

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mike ryan
    Searching is certainly a good thing, and thatís how I came up with the 3 tires Iím considering. What the search didnít reveal is the difference in rolling resistance between the three. They all seem to be good in the sand, but which of them is best for aggressive XC riding?

Several people mentioned the Mutanoraptor Race 2.4. According to Shiggyís site, it has a smaller casing, tread width, and outer tread depth than the Nevegal 2.1 Iím currently using, so I left it out of consideration for a front tire. Might consider for a rear though.

So I guess the question is, which of these 3 ďsandĒ tires would be the best front tire for aggressive XC riding?

Nevegal 2.3
    Weirwolf 2.5 race
    Scorpion Gold 2.3

Thank!
    I haven't tried the other tires, but the Weirwolf 2.5 Race is one of my favorite front tires....especially in sand.

No longer 26

Racing Ralph 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    I haven't tried the other tires, but the Weirwolf 2.5 Race is one of my favorite front tires....especially in sand.
    I only logged a few rides on it at the end of the season last year but it floats on sand very well and can be run pretty soft to help cornering.
    Greg

mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks everyone!

I've decided to go with the WTB Weirwolf 2.5 Race. It should be a good test to see how such a big jump in tire size effects my handling.

Thanks for the great replies! I'll post my findings ASAP.