nimble biker

need advice on building Enve carbon wheelset.

I need advice on building new wheels. I am a light XC rider who likes trail ride but not downhill stuff.

I saw different DTSwiss 180 ceramic straight pull, 240 hubs.
    I am so confused with straight pull and center lock terminologies.

Are these features necessary on a high end hubs?
    Do ceramic bearings on DTSwiss 180 hubs last long?

I have chosen Enve carbon rims as the main choice.However, after reading the wheelbuilder.com website. There are options for clincher, tubular which cause further confusion for me.

which one should I choose? clincher or tubular. I just want tubeless

74 & 29 pilot
    Clincher rims unless you want to buy special tires and glue them to the rim. "Straight pull" just refers to the way the spoke connects to the hub; The other way is with a "J" spoke that goes through the hub flange. I think "center lock" is referring to what type of disc brake rotor your using; Most commonly used are 6 bolt rotors.

You can probably call who ever your ordering them from and they will probably help you figure it out.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

nimble biker
    I just realized that the wheel builder can't sell the Enve wheels to me due to sale restriction to Canada.

How the hell can I obtain a cool set of Enve carbon wheels?

mtbr member

Re: need advice on building Enve carbon wheelset.

Call Enve?

Formerly of Kent
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't know what the difference between a clincher and a tubular, you probably shouldn't be buying (rather expensive) parts for a wheelset on your own.

Tubeless and tubed setups both use CLINCHER rims, with CLINCHER tires. One has a tube, the other doesn't. They often times use the exact same rim, and sometimes the same tire.

Don't worry about tubulars. That's a whole different box that you don't want to open at this point in time.

Formerly of Kent
    See the attached three images.

A clincher (upper left image, and right side of upper right image) is held in place by a metal or carbon hook, that latches on to a "bead" of rubber and kevlar/wire on the tire. These are the tires on 99.9% of bicycles in the world. They are what you have on your bike. Air pressure, either inside an inner tube, or inside a tire set up for tubeless use, keeps the tire inflated and the beads spread out.

A tubular tire (bottom image), really only found on racing bikes for road, track, cyclocross and MTB, is held on by glue and air pressure. It is completely round; the tube is encased entire within the tire itself. You don't have these, if if you don't know what they are, you don't want them. Tubulars are great for racing applications, particularly in MTB and cyclocross, because you can run very low pressures and still no suffer from pinch flats. Because the previously mentioned "hook" is absent (see left side of upper right image), there is much less material to strike the inner tube or inside of the tire when compressed. And, because of this, not only is it less likely to damage the tire, but less likely to damage the rim as well. Similarly, these rims are significantly lighter than clinchers of similar design. Or, much stronger than clincher rims of like construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

ups and downs
    I bought my Enve factory wheels through my LBS in North Vancouver.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

need advice on building Enve carbon wheelset.

I purchased AM 29er recently from Carbon Connection. Pm if you want details. I'm quite pleased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I just realized that the wheel builder can't sell the Enve wheels to me due to sale restriction to Canada.

How the hell can I obtain a cool set of Enve carbon wheels?
    The distributor in Canada for Enve is On The Edge (Enve Composites - Pivot Cycles - BH Bikes - Turner Bikes - Exclusive Canadian Distributor - On The Edge Canada / Actuality)