mtbr member
    Mar 2004

NBX 2.1 Rear, ??? in front?

Looking for suggestions - I am currently running blue grooves 2.35/ 2.1 Fr/ R. This is a great set up, but I am looking for something a little faster.. I have the NBX 2.1, which I think should work well as a rear with a slightly larger front tire. I greatly prefer sticky rubber tires, esp for the front, which eliminates some good tires like the weirwolf.
    My current thought is to use the Blue groove 2.1 in front, or the nbx 2.3. I also may use the Kinetic 2.3 because I have it already..

Your thoughts and suggestions, please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am running the NBX 2.1 F/R. Its a good rear tire but not enough volume in front for me. Ordered a Schwalbe Big Jim 2.25, if it ever gets here I'll let you know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by icenoir
    Looking for suggestions - I am currently running blue grooves 2.35/ 2.1 Fr/ R. This is a great set up, but I am looking for something a little faster.. I have the NBX 2.1, which I think should work well as a rear with a slightly larger front tire. I greatly prefer sticky rubber tires, esp for the front, which eliminates some good tires like the weirwolf.
    My current thought is to use the Blue groove 2.1 in front, or the nbx 2.3. I also may use the Kinetic 2.3 because I have it already..

Your thoughts and suggestions, please.
    Kinetic 2.35 shouldn't compare to either the Blue Groove or NBX for rolling speed. From the above I assume you own a BG 2.1, BG 2.35, Kinetics 2.35, NBX 2.1 right?
    I'd mount the NBX 2.1 on the rear (it might wear a bit better than the sticky BG), keeping the BG 2.35 on the front and give that a try, then mount the BG 2.1 on the front and go again, see how the grip and speed feel/compare. Because the BG 2.1 is a bit bigger volume than the NBX 2.1 (and the BG corners/tracks pretty well) they might match well F/R. I'm actually thinking of trying that same combo, but I don't own any of those tires/sizes yet (so I have to fork out the dough to try them out). I'd be interested to hear your feedback...

FWIW I'm using a Wierwolf 2.5 race front and it rolls pretty fast (for a big tire), and hooks up well in loose stuff, not a bad option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

thats what my thoughts were

That was my plan, although I may put the BG 2.1 if front right away.. You are correct that I own the tires you listed.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Kinetic 2.35 shouldn't compare to either the Blue Groove or NBX for rolling speed. From the above I assume you own a BG 2.1, BG 2.35, Kinetics 2.35, NBX 2.1 right?
    I'd mount the NBX 2.1 on the rear (it might wear a bit better than the sticky BG), keeping the BG 2.35 on the front and give that a try, then mount the BG 2.1 on the front and go again, see how the grip and speed feel/compare. Because the BG 2.1 is a bit bigger volume than the NBX 2.1 (and the BG corners/tracks pretty well) they might match well F/R. I'm actually thinking of trying that same combo, but I don't own any of those tires/sizes yet (so I have to fork out the dough to try them out). I'd be interested to hear your feedback...

FWIW I'm using a Wierwolf 2.5 race front and it rolls pretty fast (for a big tire), and hooks up well in loose stuff, not a bad option.