mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Is my tire pressure too low? Quick question

After sections of pavement, I can see that the dust is cleared off on the shoulder knobs of my rear tire, but only the center knobs of my front tire.

I'm running about 3-4psi more in the rear as it is. Seems like it would throw things off to create even more of a gap?

This happens with every tire combo I've tried and it just occurred to me that it might be wrong.

Slower But Faster
    Remember though that off road the centre knobs will dig in (unless it's rock or super hardpack dirt) allowing the side knobs to also bite. Your pressure difference front to rear sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Remember though that off road the centre knobs will dig in (unless it's rock or super hardpack dirt) allowing the side knobs to also bite. Your pressure difference front to rear sounds about right.
    But is the fact that I'm riding around on my shoulder lugs (as evidenced by the dust wearing off on them), at least in the rear, bad?

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    But is the fact that I'm riding around on my shoulder lugs (as evidenced by the dust wearing off on them), at least in the rear, bad?
    I would think you'd get better braking and climbing traction that way. If you're not getting rim strikes and it's not squirmy feeling I'd say that's a good pressure. What's your weight and what pressures are you running? I'm about 230 and I run 30f/35r and that seems to work pretty well for me. It's probably a little higher than what I could get away with but the reliability and solid feel makes it right for me.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    I would think you'd get better braking and climbing traction that way. If you're not getting rim strikes and it's not squirmy feeling I'd say that's a good pressure. What's your weight and what pressures are you running? I'm about 230 and I run 30f/35r and that seems to work pretty well for me. It's probably a little higher than what I could get away with but the reliability and solid feel makes it right for me.
    235-240lbs and 25f/28r on a 24mm internal width rim, 29x2.3 tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    just saw this a few days ago, gave me 27f, 35r at 190lbs... 2.25f/2.10r going to try it tomorrow, was just running 30/30.

Art's Cyclery Blog Give ?Em a Squeeze: How to Find the Perfect Tire Pressure for Your Bike

at your weight I'd guess more pressure...
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Add 3 psi per 10lbs you are over the starting range? I usually don't get below 230lbs so even adding 3psi per 10lbs from the upper end of that range gives meat LEAST 40psi in the front, even after subtracting 3psi for my front and subtracting 5psi for tubeless. That sounds way too damn high.

Sweater

Add 3 psi per 10lbs you are over the starting range? I usually don't get below 230lbs so even adding 3psi per 10lbs from the upper end of that range gives meat LEAST 40psi in the front, even after subtracting 3psi for my front and subtracting 5psi for tubeless. That sounds way too damn high.
    Personally I think you're a little low. 40 however, i also think is too high. There's another calculator I remember using that put me at 35 or so. Maybe it was competitive cyclist? I ride the same areas you do (auburn and vicinity) and am a similar weight. At the pressures you're running, the tires felt squirmy and would occasionally burp. At 30 & 35 they feel good and I don't burp or ding very often. If you're not experiencing those things at lower pressures, then run what you've been running. Even experiment with it on a few rides, try higher pressures or lower pressures. Keep in mind though, you run the risk of more damage at lower pressure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Personally I think you're a little low. 40 however, i also think is too high. There's another calculator I remember using that put me at 35 or so. Maybe it was competitive cyclist? I ride the same areas you do (auburn and vicinity) and am a similar weight. At the pressures you're running, the tires felt squirmy and would occasionally burp. At 30 & 35 they feel good and I don't burp or ding very often. If you're not experiencing those things at lower pressures, then run what you've been running. Even experiment with it on a few rides, try higher pressures or lower pressures. Keep in mind though, you run the risk of more damage at lower pressure.
    I'm happy with my performance, just wondering if I'm dragging more of an anchor than I need to up the hills if my shoulder lugs are in full contact the whole time.

How big of hits/drops/jumps do you take in the area? I don't think I ever get more than like a foot off the ground, still adjusting to flat pedals (I recently switched) and feel like I'm gonna fly off the pedals lol

Sweater

I don't hit any big gaps but I'll do 2-3' drops and I generally ride fairly aggressively. Not keeping up with the local expert/pro riders or anything, but their sweat won't be dry at the bottom of confluence either.

But you know, give different pressure a try and see what you like or dislike about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm happy with my performance, just wondering if I'm dragging more of an anchor than I need to up the hills if my shoulder lugs are in full contact the whole time.

How big of hits/drops/jumps do you take in the area? I don't think I ever get more than like a foot off the ground, still adjusting to flat pedals (I recently switched) and feel like I'm gonna fly off the pedals lol
    experiment with different pressures, if you think it's low, add a few psi and see how it goes.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!