mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Are my Tioga Factory XC 1.95's really that bad?

Newbie MTBr here. I replaced my first tube today, after getting a puncture off some thorn brush about 1/4" long. Replaced the rear tube, and went off for a ride, avoiding the area where I thought I picked up the thorns.

Coming back, both my tubes are punctured (same type of thorn), and it seems like the tires really shouldn't be this bad. Of course I am new to all this and don't really know what to expect.

Have any advice for me? Do I put some sealant in the tires? Do I change the tires? (Currently on Alex Y2000 rims) Get a thorn resistant tube? Does that add too much weight?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpmonger23
    Newbie MTBr here. I replaced my first tube today, after getting a puncture off some thorn brush about 1/4" long. Replaced the rear tube, and went off for a ride, avoiding the area where I thought I picked up the thorns.

Coming back, both my tubes are punctured (same type of thorn), and it seems like the tires really shouldn't be this bad. Of course I am new to all this and don't really know what to expect.

Have any advice for me? Do I put some sealant in the tires? Do I change the tires? (Currently on Alex Y2000 rims) Get a thorn resistant tube? Does that add too much weight?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    1/4" thorns are going to puncture almost any tire. If you must ride in thorn areas use sealant (like Slime) in your tubes.

When you get a flat you need to check your tires for thorns and remove them before replacing the tubes. Your flats in the 2nd ride may have been caused by thorns from your first ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Young, Shawn Young
    Thorn resistent tubes or heavy duty tubes are pretty damn heavy. Try some slime tubes instead.(they are easier to carry as a spare as well). I have the Factory DH 2.3 on the front of one of my bikes and have been very impressed with the durability/rideability.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks for the help guys. What's the general opinion on things such as Spin Skins?

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpmonger23
    Thanks for the help guys. What's the general opinion on things such as Spin Skins?
    Spin skins suck big time! I tried a pair couple of seasons back, couldn't get them aligned in the tire, which in turn made the tire wobble, & the tire casing became really stiff when inflated. You could really tell they were in there. Spend your $ elsewhere. When dealing w/ thorns, I've had very good luck with the "Stans" setup.