mtbr member
    May 2012

Are my Ikon's done & Should I get an Aggressor???

My Ikon's have 1.5mm tread thickness on the center knobs. Are they essentially worn out? I don't know how thick the tread was when they were new. They still seem ok for what I do but My chain was new when these tires were new and the chain is worn out so that got me wondering if my tires are done too.

Should I get an Aggressor for a new front tire? Sometimes I wish I had a little more bite up front. Not for fast cornering but for tight cornering and gravel and loose dirt and pine needles etc. By the way, the knobs on the edges of my Ikon's look new because I don't corner fast. Maybe I could save weight by getting tires without knobs on the edges. :-)

My rims have an internal width of 30mm and Aggressors are designed for 30-35mm rims so that and the beefier tread attracted me to them.

Thanks for any tips. They might take my geriatric riding to a new level.

No good in rock gardens..
    For the likes of pine needles and gravel I'd look at a more open tread for front use than the Aggressor.

High Roller 2 for example.

Aggressor is more a rear tread design imo.

The 2.35 Forecaster is also a decent front or rear all rounder imo and pedals quite well.

All will work on your 30mm rims.
    Less isn't MOAR

Barely in control
    He says he barely corners and you want him on a HRII? ell, oh ell.

Aggressor sounds fine for your needs.

Although a tire with continuous tread knobs might be better, like Conti Cross King or Vittoria Barzo.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions. Now that I think of it (first thing in the morning good brain vs late night weak brain) my Ikons seemed good enough when they were new. Tires just a little more aggressive than them would be good enough. On the other hand, I don't race so safety and grip is more important to me than speed.

I mentioned gravel and pine needles but mostly I ride on firm or loose on firm. Also, I ride tubeless with 20 lbs of pressure and have never burped a tire. If it's muddy I ride my road bike.

eri
    mtbr member
    I got a Vittoria mezcal a few months ago. Replaced ikon 29x2.35 in the front. I loved the ikon and the Mezcal rolls better and grips better. Rolls really well going straight. Using it tubeless on an arch ex. I'm putting one on the back when its done. Was heavier than ikon but worth it.
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think the 2.5 aggressor rear will work well with your 30iw rims with a dhf front.
    It will feel heavier than the ikons but reward you with more grip and durability.
    I went from ikon 2.35 to rekons then to dhf/aggressor. Rekons are a good choice as well and a more gradual upgrade. Rekons were less bouncy than the ikons and gave me much more corner and downhill grip and braking traction.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ardent Race 2.6 if it's a 27.5" bike or 2.35 if it's a 29'er. They roll well and have good enough traction for what you want, at least better than Ikons.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    He says he barely corners and you want him on a HRII? ell, oh ell.

Aggressor sounds fine for your needs.

Although a tire with continuous tread knobs might be better, like Conti Cross King or Vittoria Barzo.
    Gravel and pine needles call for a more open tread, regardless. I'm sure there must be corners SOMEWHERE on his rides, LOL.

And an aggressive tyre up front costs next to nothing in added rolling resistance.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks again for the recommendations. I've looked into all of them and it looks like the Ardent or Ardent Race might be the best tires for me. I think all of the recommended tires will have considerably better grip than my worn Ikons and my worn Ikons are still manageable where I ride so Ardents should be grippy enough. Tomorrow I'll go to a bike shop to get a good look at some tires. I also want to measure the tread depth on some Ikons to see how worn mine are.
    Last edited by dugt; 06-13-2018 at 10:40 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Today I bought two Recon's 29 x 2.60. I hope they aren't too wide but at least they will soften the ride on my hard tail. They should be grippy enough and fast enough and tough enough. I think all of the recommended tires would have worked well enough but Recon's seem to be in the middle of the range I want between dry gravel, soft and hard.

About cornering, here are my excuses: Where I ride there are few if any places where I could practice hard cornering. Some of the tight turns I see are tight single track where it is hard to get around going slow. Wider turns usually have no visibility of what's coming up the hill. Most turns are just too gradual to warrant much leaning. It looks to me like the best places for hard charging lean over turning is at downhill resorts. I've seen the courses while snow skiing there but haven't tried biking there yet.
    Last edited by dugt; 06-14-2018 at 11:04 PM.