Not a lot of information about these rims so I wanted to write up my experiences using Maxxis 29er tires tubeless on the Pacenti DL31 rims.
As part of a new build, I had the DL31 rims laced to Hope Pro 2 hubs by my local wheelbuilder, 32 spokes in the front, 36 spokes in the back. My Maxxis tires had been mounted tubeless on my old WTB Speeddisc AMs for a little over a year with only 1 burp incident. Used tires, new rims.
I went into this project with a roll of 1" Gorilla tape, a batch of homebrew WSS sealant, and a spare 2" roll of Gorilla tape just in case. Used JoeBlow Mountain pump and wanted a tubeless setup that would inflate with a floor pump.
Emailed Kirk Pacenti before attempting this and he mentioned that many people had success using 1 layer of 1" Gorilla tape. MikeSee mentioned needing 3 layers but also commenting that this was for additional security measures.
First I laid down 1 layer of 1" Gorilla tape and installed the tires with tubes in order to seat the tape and beads. I then broke one bead, pulled the tube and tried to seat the second bead, no go. The 1" strip was not wide enough to go from sidewall to sidewall, though this might not really matter.
Next I laid down 2 more overlapping 1" layers of tape in order to make sure to cover all the way from sidewall to sidewall. Mounted tires with a tube to seat both beads, broke one bead to remove the tube and the tire inflated a little but couldnt develop a tight enough seal to pop the bead in place. It is worth noting that at three wraps of tape it was very difficult to break the tire bead by hand but not tight enough to inflate tubeless with a floor pump.
Now I was out of the 1" tape so I measured out ~29mm of the 2" roll of Gorilla Tape, this was enough to put one more layer of tape down that would go from sidewall to sidewall. Taped up both rims with the 29mm strip, inflated the tires with a tube, broke one bead to remove the tube, and these aired up perfectly with the floor pump. Incredibly difficult to break the bead by hand - literally 5-10 minutes of wrestling with each bead in order to break one side free to remove the tube.
I'm very confident in this tubeless installation, much moreso than anything shy of the full UST setup on my GFs bike (wouldnt do anything less for her). No pics for now but overall highly impressed with the tubeless seal on these rims. They're wide, stiff, and light.
TL;DR Needed 4 strips of Gorilla tape to make the DL31 rims seat nicely with a floor pump. Newer tires might have a tighter bead and require 1-2 less wraps of tape.
Hope this helps somebody in my situation in the future!
Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups
Results 1 to 8 of 8