mtbr member

My experience going tubeless on Pacenti DL31 rims

Not a lot of information about these rims so I wanted to write up my experiences using Maxxis 29er tires tubeless on the Pacenti DL31 rims.

As part of a new build, I had the DL31 rims laced to Hope Pro 2 hubs by my local wheelbuilder, 32 spokes in the front, 36 spokes in the back. My Maxxis tires had been mounted tubeless on my old WTB Speeddisc AMs for a little over a year with only 1 burp incident. Used tires, new rims.

I went into this project with a roll of 1" Gorilla tape, a batch of homebrew WSS sealant, and a spare 2" roll of Gorilla tape just in case. Used JoeBlow Mountain pump and wanted a tubeless setup that would inflate with a floor pump.

Emailed Kirk Pacenti before attempting this and he mentioned that many people had success using 1 layer of 1" Gorilla tape. MikeSee mentioned needing 3 layers but also commenting that this was for additional security measures.

First I laid down 1 layer of 1" Gorilla tape and installed the tires with tubes in order to seat the tape and beads. I then broke one bead, pulled the tube and tried to seat the second bead, no go. The 1" strip was not wide enough to go from sidewall to sidewall, though this might not really matter.

Next I laid down 2 more overlapping 1" layers of tape in order to make sure to cover all the way from sidewall to sidewall. Mounted tires with a tube to seat both beads, broke one bead to remove the tube and the tire inflated a little but couldnt develop a tight enough seal to pop the bead in place. It is worth noting that at three wraps of tape it was very difficult to break the tire bead by hand but not tight enough to inflate tubeless with a floor pump.

Now I was out of the 1" tape so I measured out ~29mm of the 2" roll of Gorilla Tape, this was enough to put one more layer of tape down that would go from sidewall to sidewall. Taped up both rims with the 29mm strip, inflated the tires with a tube, broke one bead to remove the tube, and these aired up perfectly with the floor pump. Incredibly difficult to break the bead by hand - literally 5-10 minutes of wrestling with each bead in order to break one side free to remove the tube.

I'm very confident in this tubeless installation, much moreso than anything shy of the full UST setup on my GFs bike (wouldnt do anything less for her). No pics for now but overall highly impressed with the tubeless seal on these rims. They're wide, stiff, and light.

TL;DR Needed 4 strips of Gorilla tape to make the DL31 rims seat nicely with a floor pump. Newer tires might have a tighter bead and require 1-2 less wraps of tape.

Hope this helps somebody in my situation in the future!

transmitter~receiver
    damn... what a mess! how much does 25(+) feet of gorilla tape weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Eh, not much relative to me. It's not a lightweight bike by any means and would probably be fine on new tires with a wrap or two less. I'm happy with the results but I doubt the weight weenies will be looking at these rims anyways.

2 wraps likely would have inflated with a compressor, 3 was really close but I wanted a little more security and went for the fourth. It was also late and didnt feel like having to run to the gas station to use their compressor.

transmitter~receiver
    i was just thinking about the sticky mess you're going to have if you ever have to take the tape off. gorilla tape SUCKS!!
    glad it worked for you, though.
    to save you some time, if the gas station has an air pump that you feed quarters to, it produces less air flow than a floor pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    May 2007
    After that first no go, I would have gone to 28 mm WTB (stans rebranded) tape.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    i was just thinking about the sticky mess you're going to have if you ever have to take the tape off. gorilla tape SUCKS!!
    glad it worked for you, though.
    to save you some time, if the gas station has an air pump that you feed quarters to, it produces less air flow than a floor pump.
    +1 on this

Nice tip

Keep on Rockin...
    I know that taping the rim helps the tire bead slip off to the rim hook more easily, but does it really have anything to do with how well the bead seats in the hook?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I know that taping the rim helps the tire bead slip off to the rim hook more easily, but does it really have anything to do with how well the bead seats in the hook?
    Tires fit too loosely to inflate but the beads would snap heartily into the beadhooks with a tube so I laid down more tape in order to provide a tighter fit.

I wanted to update this thread since I pulled my old 2.2 Ikon and put a brand new 2.35 Ikon onto these rims. First the 2.35 was inflated on a road wheel for a day ahead of the swap in order to smooth out any possible creases on the bead from shipping.

I also figured that a new tire would fit much tighter than my old 2.2 that had been installed and removed from a few different wheelsets so I went ahead and pulled two of the three layers of Gorilla Tape. The new tire popped on perfectly using the same method as before with installing a tube first to pop both beads and then breaking the bead on one side of the tire to remove the tube.

TL;DR use 2 layers of Gorilla tape with new tires. 4 layers of tape was perfect for really stretched out old tires.