mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Muddy Mary - pacestar v trailstar

Looking for opinions on the two compounds for a rear tire for mojo hd and nomad c for winter riding in pnw. I've heard the trailstar wears really fast in the rear on schwalbes other tires. Can I expect it to last a season of hard riding or should I try pacestar.

I'm sure it wont stop the flood of advice, but I don't need alternative reccomendations for similar tires. I have a ton of other models in my garage to use--minion, trail king, baron, butcher, ground control, purgatory, Hans dampf, weirwolf, etc etc.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Looking for opinions on the two compounds for a rear tire for mojo hd and nomad c for winter riding in pnw. I've heard the trailstar wears really fast in the rear on schwalbes other tires. Can I expect it to last a season of hard riding or should I try pacestar.

I'm sure it wont stop the flood of advice, but I don't need alternative reccomendations for similar tires. I have a ton of other models in my garage to use--minion, trail king, baron, butcher, ground control, purgatory, Hans dampf, weirwolf, etc etc.
    If you are looking for wet traction, I find Pacestar lacking.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've been using a MM on my NomadC, and I find it too big as a rear tire in the wet season, moreover, when it gets really muddy because it tends to clog with the chainstays if the mud is thick. For the drier seasons it's ok though sooo, my advice would be hans dampf trailstar compound. I think trailstar compound is OK for wetter seasons as it grips better than pacestar and durability are similar, pacestar lasts longer but not too much, I tend to use MM pacestar rear and MM trailstar front but for winter I swap the rear for a Hans Damp in the trailstar compound

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    If you are looking for wet traction, I find Pacestar lacking.
    This.

I would never use a MM with Pacestar - useless because in dry conditions the Big Betty is a far better rear tire. Trailstar rear and Vertstar front would be my choice. I run Vertstar (actually the old GGC which is the predecessor) MM for a front tire year round. Do you use the bike for light FR? If not, you'd be better off with the HD front and rear as they run a good 150 grams lighter no matter what the specs say (I have both) and hook up just fine.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!