Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Mud tire suggestions for XC racing

Anyone have ideas for mud tires for XC racing? I'm looking for something to occasionally switch to that can handle the thick, clingy clay stuff that forms when CO race courses get really soaked, like at the NORBA at Snowmass last year (yech). It cost me a potential win, and I don't plan to let it happen again because of my tires.

I have absolutely no experience with mud tires. Since this is for racing, are there any that aren't completely over-the-top heavy and slow-rolling, or is that just wishful thinking?
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    May 2006

Medusa

It really depends on how skinny a tire you are comfortable with. A lot of top pros choose to go with a 1.8 or 1.9 to slide through the mud better. The Maxxis Medusa is a popular choice and is available in a 1.8 or 2.1 at about 490 grams for the 1.8. The Medusa has great mud lugs, but does give up rolling resistance on harder terrain.

At Sea Otter last year, the best choice seemed to be the 1.9 Larsen TT to get through the soupy mud. This is the way to go if the entire course is not muddy.

Hope this helps.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Bontrager Mud X 1.8 or 2.0 or Panaracer TrailRaker. The Bonty is better in mixed conditions and the Pana in the muckier stuff.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was very happy with my 1.85 Hutchinson Mosquitos during one wet, muddy, clayy race last year.

mucho aggro
    anyone remeber the panaracer Spikes? those rocked in mud.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    A lot of people I ride with (racers incl) seem to use Continental Explorer Super Sonic 2.1's. Not too heavy but decent grip.

Claimed weight 440gr weight weenies weight 461gr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amorphous
    anyone remeber the panaracer Spikes? those rocked in mud.....
    I have a front one. Awesome mud tire.....and one of the worst tires ever on just about anything but mud, but if a course is all mud, then they're great.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

Now broadcasting from CO

Kenda

Kenda Kharisma II's plow right through the thick and sloppy East coast mud, so I'm sure they will work. They are a middle weight tire in my book. about 520g. They clear mud like it's their job, and roll pretty fast. Kenda says they are 2.1's but they are more like 1.9's. Oh and make sure to get the Kharisma II's, cause the original model has these little bumps in between the tread that stick to mud like glue. They are gone on the new model. Pick below was taken immediately after the race. Pretty much crossed the finish line and rode about 10ft to my car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brought to you by rocks.