mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Mountain King 2.2 Supersonic review

I recently swapped my Nevegals for Mountain King 2.2 Supersonics on my single speed.

My first impression were very positive. I was expecting a very fragile and thin tire, but I couldn't tell by feel if it was thinner than the 2.1 Nevegals which are on there now. The Nevs are, however, known to be pretty thin themselves.

I mounted them up with Forte Ultralight tubes and left them inflated at 60 psi overnight to let them stretch out. The next morning I checked them with my caliper, and the carcass on the MK is a fraction of a mm bigger than the Nevegal's, and the thread width is the same. This is on a Bontrager Mustang rim with roughly a 18mm bead to bead width. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed.

I took them on their first ride yesterday evening in a combination of hard pack, loose over hard, with some rooty climbs. What struck me first was how fast they rolled. They made the Nevegals feel like I was pedaling through mud. Very fun, and I may have to down gear my bike. I'd say grip is about 90% if not more of what the Nevegals had, and with a slightly looser feel to them. If I simply wanted the most traction available, I'd go with the Nevs. The only surprise was when I hit some gravel over hard and the front pushed on me, but it hooked back up. I was worried about climbs, but even though they might have slipped a little more at peak torque it didn't bother me. In fact, their weight and lower resistance let me power up hills much faster than usual. Roots in the climbs didn't pose any problems and they climbed over them without slipping.

Conclusion? I love them, and need fast rolling tires in my life from now on. The few compromises I can deal with by simply changing technique. The size is comparable to the Nevegal 2.1, and I think the MK SS is a good replacement for it.

EDIT: I ride 28 psi front and 32 psi rear.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 07-14-2009 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Riding PSI?

What PSI were you riding them on? I've got the ProTection version and I've ridden them at both 25 PSI and 40 PSI. Lower feels better.
    Peace outside

mtbr member

Totally agree

I replaced my 2.1 Nevegal DTC's on my Titus Motolite about a year ago with the 2.4 Supersonic Mtn Kings and couldn't believe the difference. They came in around 50 grams lighter than the Nevegals, but with a true width of probably a 2.2 or 2.3. Have hit the sidewalls a few times against rocks and not even a mark on them yet. Traction is unbelievable and they definitely roll a lot faster - I usually ride at least a gear higher. I'm around 150 lbs and run 25 psi front/30 psi rear with 90 gram Panaracer Greenlite tubes and they are awesome!
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    Great tires. I have run both the 2.4 and 2.2 on front and rear. Finally settled on the 2.4 front with the 2.2 in the rear for the best in traction/grip and speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was running the MK SS 2.2 f&R on my carbon Blur and was tempted to switch to the Nevegals fro more grip as the front washed out on me a few times.
    Then I put on a 2.4 MK SS on the front only and it transformed the bike. Traction is awesome and very confidence inspiring even on stuff so steep and long you get saddle sores on your chest.
    Fantastic combination, fast rolling, grippy , and light. Set up tubeless they do require pumping up before every ride though.
    Total bike weight 21.5 pounds even with the 2.4!