mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Motoraptor 2.24 front/Weirwolf 2.1 back - can I do this?

Can I do this combination?

Why on earth would you have to ask? Do whatever you like...there are no rules.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Why on earth would you have to ask? Do whatever you like...there are no rules.
    I've asked just if someone have experience with this combination. I think, forum this is forum, isn't it?

No, you just asked if you could do that. You didn't ask for anyone else's experience; in any case you'll still get the best answer by finding out for yourself as to whether it's any good or not...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    No, you just asked if you could do that. You didn't ask for anyone else's experience; in any case you'll still get the best answer by finding out for yourself as to whether it's any good or not...
    OK...

mtbr member
    A hopefully more useful and less smart alec answer is that yes you can. And it is a tried, and viable option.

This is a fairly common practice. Some people like a fat tire up front for increased float, traction, or bump absorption. Some prefer the most traction up front and would rather the rear slide first.

Also a smaller tire in the rear helps negate some of the increased mass of having a large front tire somewhat. The lighter, smaller rear tire spins up to speed a little faster than having 2 large tires. In some conditions the narrower rear tire bites in better while accelerating.

So go ahead, give it a try. In fact, yesterday I tried out a 2.4 Panaracer Fire FR up front, paired with a 2.1 Velociraptor in the back. I thought it worked excellent. The big front tire helped the front get on top of the soft sandy washes here in Tucson, and it also seemed to climb up over rocks really well, and smoothed out the choppy rocks. The WTB Velociraptor bit in and climbed excellent, and had good braking. I like that it has no ramps, which I personally think suck on a rear tire because you loose one or the other, either braking or climbing traction, for a small bit of rolling resistance. I thought this combo rolled quite well.

mtbr member
    One note on the Weirwolf. It corners the best with the tread lines running from out to in ,back to front. Like an arrow pointing forward.

However, it does climb significantly better on the rear when reversed, because the ramps do decrease climbing traction, and if you look at the tire you will see that it then puts this big side knob out where it can really grab.

My friend used to run his both the same direction, and I ran the rear Weirwolf reversed, and I always rode right up hills that he spun out on. I sacrificed a little braking traction. Pick your poison.