mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. More Skewer Advice (FSA Scatto skewers?)

Has anyone tried the FSA Scatto QR skewers? They have a centralized cam movement and is supported by hardened, stainless surfaces instead of more traditional aluminum and plastic. They're similar to internal cam Shimano XTR I think, but cheaper.

BTW, Bontrager and Ritchey labeled skewers suck as do most other skewers.

I've seen these threads about skewers too.
    I need skewer advice
    Skewers and seatpost clamps

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I use the delta bolt on skewers because they are $15 and weigh 69grams for the set. about half of what any of the others weigh.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Idea! FSA Skewers

Here's a photo of the FSA skewers courtesy of Cycling News:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    The FSA looks like a nice skewer - it might be worth looking into.

For reasons already stated in the posts linked to above, I use only Shimano skewers. I see new XT skewers all the time for $20-$25 per set online. Note that skewers are the only Shimano product on the bike - no brand loyalty here.

After using 20mm TA up front recently, I can see no reason for manufacturers to continue making QR forks for any but the absolute lightest racing applications - but this is another conversation...

mtbr member
    I'm using the FSA skewers. Wheel set is Hugi hubs, Sun rhynolite rims, DT champion spokes 14g, 3X with a 2004 Fox Vanilla 125 RLC fork. I'm 225 lbs and there's no flex at the axle. Do what they're supposed to do. Better than Salsa, WTB, Shimano XT/XTR.
    Go get 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    The FSA looks like a nice skewer - it might be worth looking into.

For reasons already stated in the posts linked to above, I use only Shimano skewers. I see new XT skewers all the time for $20-$25 per set online. Note that skewers are the only Shimano product on the bike - no brand loyalty here.

After using 20mm TA up front recently, I can see no reason for manufacturers to continue making QR forks for any but the absolute lightest racing applications - but this is another conversation...

mtbr member

FSA Skewers Recall

Those scatto skewers were recalled by FSA.
    http://www.recalls.org/sport216.htm

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineGator
    Has anyone tried the FSA Scatto QR skewers? They have a centralized cam movement and is supported by hardened, stainless surfaces instead of more traditional aluminum and plastic. They're similar to internal cam Shimano XTR I think, but cheaper.

BTW, Bontrager and Ritchey labeled skewers suck as do most other skewers.

I've seen these threads about skewers too.
    I need skewer advice
    Skewers and seatpost clamps

mtbr member

Good job! Just a little update.

Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    Spoke to FSA this morning and these skewers have been remedied. The problem was with overtorquing the front skewer and has been addressed.The new skewers have "3.5" stamped on the inside of the lever.

Be safe and ride on, all!
    Last edited by BeatVibe1; 11-04-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    From the site:

Hazard: An internal part in the lever mechanism can break, reducing clamping effectiveness and rendering the unit inoperable, potentially causing a bicyclist to fall.

It's funny on the manuals, hazards and recalls, explaining what will happen if things go wrong, and they almost always 'cause a bicyclist to fall'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope Technology skewers are nice.

Disclaimer, I sell Hope stuff. We also sell Shimano, AM Classic, DT, etc., as well as our own branded skewers. So I'm not financially motivated to promote them over most other brands...especially our own.

Hope (the brake manufacturer) offers some very nice skewers in a range of decorator colors. Where a lot of skewers have delrin plastic inserts, the Hope skewers are brass. They have stainless steel toothed-ring inserts on the end caps to securely grab the frame, as opposed to the knurled aluminum found on many skewers. They are not the absolutely lightest thing out there at 125g per pair, but they aren't porky despite being made from sturdier materials. Price is ~$35.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    It's funny on the manuals, hazards and recalls, explaining what will happen if things go wrong, and they almost always 'cause a bicyclist to fall'.

it's true, actually. the first few times i read the phrase "cause a bicyclist to fall" in various instruction manuals i used to literally laugh out loud. since the unfortunate product failure which caused THIS bicyclist to fall, i no longer find it particularly funny...