mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Minion UST 2.5 DHF vs 2.7 Minion DHF for DH?

Hi,

Anyone have an opinion on whether the 2.5 DHF UST is "enough" tire for the front vs the 2.7 non UST on a DH bike build, with Fox 40, Intense SOCOM etc running on Stan's notubes ZTR Flow rims with saint hubs.

Specifically I am wondering if I "really" need a 2.7 tire up front. I know the Maxxis tires are a lot narrower then other manufactures tires so their 2.5 is just a hair bigger then others 2.35s. I am just about to switch to UST with the purchase of new ZTR rims, also I am accustomed to running my current 2.7, 2.5 setup with tubes on dee tracks around 18 lbs of pressure when descending (I keep them at 40 for the climb then let the air out for the descent), I was hoping to not have to go above 25 lbs of pressure with this new ZTR/UST setup.

It seems like people are going away a bit from the days of 2.7, 2.8, 3.0 tires for DH. Also I am only 165 lbs.

mtbr member

Racing - yes

For racing I would move to the 2.5's; for everything else, stay with the 2.7's - they actually measure 2.56. I run Maxxis Minion's 3C DHF's F&R on my Demo 7 and they are just right for resort riding.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks for the tip, makes sense. Are the 3C tires any wider then the stock 2.5 DHF/DHR? Are you running the 3Cs with stans without any issues, what kind of pressure are you running in them, and are they burp free?

mtbr member

??

I don't know about that - I would have to measure both. I doubt it, though. I run 30 in the front, 35 in the rear, with Stan's - no burping, some loss of air over 2 weeks if I don't ride the bike.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    3cs seem like the way to go, I'll give them a try and report back later how low I was able to go without burping. I am going to try between 26 - 28 lbs front and rear.

mtbr member

My riding weight is

200 with gear so if you weigh less, you may be able to run less psi than me.