mtbr member

Minion EXO 3C... what is maxx terra 3C??

So I ordered some minion EXO 3Cs for my trail bike and I thought I was getting the DH 3C compound but it looks like they have a number of different 3Cs. This is highly annoying to me but the main question is, what exactly is maxx terra 3C (which is what is used on the Minion EXO)?

Same issue with continental's black chili. Apparently there are different trail and DH compounds but they're all called black chili. Besides "one is harder than the other", what's the difference? I want a lightweight trail tire that is STICKY. I'm tired of sliding off of roots and wood and ending up with my face in the ground.

mountain biker
    Hans Damps from Schwalbe have been good to me in the conditions you describe.

I think you are correct in that "one is harder than the other"... what does the Maxxis website say?
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

I'm with stupid
    If you like the minion style tire but want a softer compound then the maxxis "all mountain 3c" send them back and pick up a few 2.3 spec. butcher sx. I have run them in wet with lots of wet rocks and roots and slimey conditions and they are leaps and bounds above the AM 3c stuff from maxxis.
    A bit shorter knobs with a wider spacing and a softer compound on center and shoulder 50/45 could help with the staying off your face problem.

mtbr member
    The Minion DHF 26x2.5 Exo 3C is currently 70a base / 60a outer center / 50a outer shoulder.

The tire will soon change to the MaxxTerra 3C configuration, which is 70a/50a/42a. There will also be a High Roller II 26x2.4 Exo 3C MaxxTerra.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    The tire will soon change to the MaxxTerra 3C configuration, which is 70a/50a/42a.
    Wise move. I was pretty unimpressed with the current Minion DHF EXO 3C, despite liking the tread pattern.

Also pass the word that QC was lacking with at least some of the tires. I and others have had repeated burping issues with the DHF EXO (loose or damaged bead?) while others had no problems.

mtbr member
    a-ha! So that's what Maxx Terra is. I googled my brains out trying to figure out the compounds. That's definitely better than the current 70/60/50. I suppose I'll have to see which 3Cs actually show up at my house. If it's the older ones, I'll send them back and just go with 2.35 single ply 42a. I love the sticky.

Now if only we could figure out the difference between black chili compounds...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
    Wise move. I was pretty unimpressed with the current Minion DHF EXO 3C, despite liking the tread pattern.
    Exactly!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Perpetual Hack
    Is this MaxxTerra compounding choice not what most of us asked for when the 3C Exo was announced? Instead we got the 70/60/50 - now we finally get what we first asked for. This now means that the DHF /HR2 combo in 3C Exo is now back on the list, and quite high up I might add...

michael

mtbr member
    It would be nice to have a straight 42a sticky version in EXO 2.5 too as a dedicated front tire! Right now they only have a 2.35 which I have used and love but it is simply too narrow. Tubeless ready beads also on my wish list like Schwalbe did this year.

Have FUN!

G
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    It would be nice to have ...
    Thanks for the input.

I really like hearing from our customers. I'd like everyone to know that if you want a specific tire, or feel like there is something Maxxis doesn't offer that you'd like to see, please take a moment to express your desire through a contact submission through our website -> Contact Us I receive these, as well as many "higher-ups" within the company. It makes it much more likely that you'll see your tire made. I really can't stress this enough!

Thanks!
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

I'm with stupid
    Cough 29er ADvantage exo cough

I tapped that

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input.

I really like hearing from our customers. I'd like everyone to know that if you want a specific tire, or feel like there is something Maxxis doesn't offer that you'd like to see, please take a moment to express your desire through a contact submission through our website -> Contact Us I receive these, as well as many "higher-ups" within the company. It makes it much more likely that you'll see your tire made. I really can't stress this enough!

Thanks!
    SWEET!

cheers,

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Minion DHF 26x2.5 Exo 3C is currently 70a base / 60a outer center / 50a outer shoulder.

The tire will soon change to the MaxxTerra 3C configuration, which is 70a/50a/42a. There will also be a High Roller II 26x2.4 Exo 3C MaxxTerra.
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but thought I'd try here first. Looks like I fell victim to the same thing that the OP did. Had heard lots of good stuff about the Minion DHF so I sprang for the EXO 3C 2.5. Tons of different tires with different compounds and a lack of numbers posted on the Maxxis site, just trade names like "Maxx Terra" and "Maxx Grip".

Evidently, the tire switched from one compound to another, but I have no idea what version I have. The part number is TB74267100 if it means anything; it has no designation on the sidewall of the tire stating Maxx anything, so who knows. If it's the 50a casing, I'll try it, but the 60a will most likely be too slick for what I want to do.

Perhaps this Maxxis gent will be good enough to respond? I've also sent a complaint to the Maxxis contact to perhaps address the confusing number of tires/compounds. Not to say that we all couldn't nit pick out way through and decide exactly what we want, but to be more forthcoming, or simply less confusing, would be great.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bumping an old thread...

I'm trying to figure out when Maxxis switched from 70a base / 60a outer center / 50a outer shoulder to 70a/50a/42a in the Exo 2.5. Does it correlate with the change in the font form the AC/DC looking font to the new High Roller style font?

I'm wondering because I seem to have gotten two different tires. I have one with the old AC/DC font and one with the new High Roller font - both 3c. The newer tire feels stickier and softer to me. If there is a difference I should probably bump the older harder tire to the back. It's currently mounted up front. If they are the same, I'll save myself the effort of remounting tubeless with a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Esses View Post
    Bumping an old thread...

I'm trying to figure out when Maxxis switched from 70a base / 60a outer center / 50a outer shoulder to 70a/50a/42a in the Exo 2.5. Does it correlate with the change in the font form the AC/DC looking font to the new High Roller style font?

I'm wondering because I seem to have gotten two different tires. I have one with the old AC/DC font and one with the new High Roller font - both 3c. The newer tire feels stickier and softer to me. If there is a difference I should probably bump the older harder tire to the back. It's currently mounted up front. If they are the same, I'll save myself the effort of remounting tubeless with a floor pump.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hello. can somebody tell me which compound do i have? is it 70/60/50 or maxxterra(70/50/42)? my friend said it is maxxterra, but it is not written on tire. tire looks exactly like this:

http://www.cycle-tyres-direct.fr/med...n_1235x735.jpg

thanks...

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by MiLi View Post
    hello. can somebody tell me which compound do i have? is it 70/60/50 or maxxterra(70/50/42)? my friend said it is maxxterra, but it is not written on tire. tire looks exactly like this:

http://www.cycle-tyres-direct.fr/med...n_1235x735.jpg

thanks...
    If your tire looks exactly like the picture, then it's the older AC/DC style font, and so therefore the older 70/60/50 version.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

I'm with stupid
    70/60/50 It is the same one I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks guys. i was hoping for maxxterra

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I wrote to Maxxis asking what the MaxTerra compound is and they wouldn't tell me:

"Please note that Maxxis no longer discloses our durometers as this is considered proprietary information.

For our Minion DHF 26x2.50 3C/EXO spec, the triple compound this tire is offered in is our 3C Maxx Terra compound. 3C Maxx Terra is an intermediate compound configuration that is softer and offers more traction than 3C Maxx Speed, yet provides better treadwear and less rolling resistance than 3C Maxx Grip."

How do we know what we're getting then? I'm looking to get a 2.5 EXO minion and leaning towards 3C, I think I'll still do that as there are enough people who aren't happy with 60a.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    I wrote to Maxxis asking what the MaxTerra compound is and they wouldn't tell me:

"Please note that Maxxis no longer discloses our durometers as this is considered proprietary information.

For our Minion DHF 26x2.50 3C/EXO spec, the triple compound this tire is offered in is our 3C Maxx Terra compound. 3C Maxx Terra is an intermediate compound configuration that is softer and offers more traction than 3C Maxx Speed, yet provides better treadwear and less rolling resistance than 3C Maxx Grip."

How do we know what we're getting then? I'm looking to get a 2.5 EXO minion and leaning towards 3C, I think I'll still do that as there are enough people who aren't happy with 60a.
    Proprietary information, eh? That's pretty funny. Ridiculous, actually. Hardness is a physical property of a compound, and is easily measured with a Shore A durometer, easily bought for less than a hundred bucks (although those aren't the most precise.) All of the information given in this thread is accurate.