mtbr member
    Jul 2011

minion DHF vs Trail king for DH

Im looking for a set of tires just for resort days. ive already got a set of 2.4 trail kings in the black chili compound, but ive got them on my hardtail and i dont mind getting a devoted set of DH tires for my 6" bike.

ill be riding all sorts of resort conditions, smooth, fast, flowy, jumps, and technical rocky stuff. though i do try to avoid the really rocky stuff as its pretty overwhelming for a 6" bike.

id get the DHF in 2.5 or possibly 2.7. and not sure whats better for straight up traction, 3c or super tacky?

so what do you think?

mtbr member
    2.7 Super Tacky.

Get the Minions.

The Trail Kings are great tires, but to me they are more oriented towards AM. There is a reason you see so many Minions at the bike park
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yeah im kinda leaning towards the minions, i think i just wanted the TK's to work because i already have them. i really just need a dedicated set of DH tires tho. why 2.7? ive heard that 2.7's dont hook up as well in corners? the contact patch would be wider but not as long though the same amount if rubber touching the ground if i remember my car setup info correctly.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    2.5 Minion DHF's run about 2.25-2.35 actual width.

I run 3C on front & rear unless terrain is sketchy steep then I'll run a ST up front, mainly for traction but also braking hook up.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    ST up front for sure and make sure you go dual ply for the DHF's.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I would say go for the DHFs. Don't go with a 2.7 though. This wide of a tyre can make for sloppy handling and a bit less responsive ride quality. I see no reason to go wide than a 2.5
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    went with the 2.5 dhf's in the 3c compound, and definitely impressed with their grip! you have to try to get them to slide, and when they do start to slide, they still have a ways to go, as they still have good grip when the slide starts, they dont just let go. very forgiving. i noticed my brake fingers were getting tired because of how much effort i was having to use!

only thing that bothered me was they roll crazy slow. i think part of it is that im running heavy duty DH tubes. so they weigh a ton, i wouldnt be surprised if between the tire and tube i wasnt close to 2,000 grams. but i was riding DH and the quick acceleration i had with my 60 compound dhfs was gone, it was just a sluggish squishy roll, and pedaling took a ton of effort. i could corner faster, but overall i bet i was a bit slower than with my harder compound dhfs.

so my question is, is it safe to run light weight tubes for DH? im running 20-25 psi, and wouldnt want to go much higher.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsa101 View Post
    so my question is, is it safe to run light weight tubes for DH? im running 20-25 psi, and wouldnt want to go much higher.
    How heavy are you? I'm about 185 geared up and I run standard tubes at 15 psi with dual wall DH tires! At least in the front. The ticket for DHF's is 60a rear, super tacky front. Leave the 3C stuff for trail bikes if you ask me.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Minions work very well tubeless too!
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    How heavy are you? I'm about 185 geared up and I run standard tubes at 15 psi with dual wall DH tires! At least in the front. The ticket for DHF's is 60a rear, super tacky front. Leave the 3C stuff for trail bikes if you ask me.

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - Minions work very well tubeless too!
    im probably 160-165 geared up. i was running like 18psi front 21 rear with my 60a DHF's and DH tubes, id hit the rim a bit but almost never hard hits, maybe because of the tube. i am on a 6" bike so not as forgiving on the tires as a DH bike. i just decided to run around 20-25 front and rear because i wanted them to roll a little faster.

and whats wrong with 3C? i felt like it had tons of grip, more than my ability could fully take advantage of, though my slow rolling speed into corners didnt help. guy at the bike shop reccomended them because the knobs have a little more support?

i think ill try lightweight/standard tubes next time, and just bring a spare or two. my rims are also tubeless ready, flow ex's. so i wouldnt mind trying tubeless. would i really save any weight vs running a standard tube though?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rock your Trail King 2.4s at the bike park ONLY if you have the UST casing. Everything else (okay, I haven't tried their middle weight casing "protection" I think it's called) will be giving you flats left and right. FWIW I've run 2.5 Rain Kings DH wire bead up front and the 2.4 Trail King UST in back (both tubeless) for two seasons of lifts and shuttles. I like the black chili rubber cuz it lasts a long time and the nice thing about your Trail Kings is you can flip the direction and get a bit more life outta them. good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    Rock your Trail King 2.4s at the bike park ONLY if you have the UST casing. Everything else (okay, I haven't tried their middle weight casing "protection" I think it's called) will be giving you flats left and right. FWIW I've run 2.5 Rain Kings DH wire bead up front and the 2.4 Trail King UST in back (both tubeless) for two seasons of lifts and shuttles. I like the black chili rubber cuz it lasts a long time and the nice thing about your Trail Kings is you can flip the direction and get a bit more life outta them. good luck!
    i dont have the UST casing. but ive got some kinda burly mid weight tubes. nothing like my DH tubes which seriously weight as much as an XC tire, but they are a bit thicker than standard tubes. do you think that would be enough?

i may try them out next time and if i like them ill get a UST set. i think im gonna try and run my minions tubeless too.
    the trail kings do seem like a pretty good freeride tire, which is more what my "DH" riding is. i do some rocky techy stuff, but mostly smoothish jump runs and berms.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Oooh, I don't know man. I'm sure that would help but I'd still be nervous. I learned my lesson last year about trying to get away with single plys on FR/DH runs. Maybe just try the rear tire first, hate to blow the front in a rock garden.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    Oooh, I don't know man. I'm sure that would help but I'd still be nervous. I learned my lesson last year about trying to get away with single plys on FR/DH runs. Maybe just try the rear tire first, hate to blow the front in a rock garden.
    how about the minions? sketchy to run those tubeless? its the 3c downhill specific compound/casing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not sketchy, tons of people run the Minions tubeless in both ghetto and UST configurations. Dont want this to come across preachy but remember that the tire is just part of the tubeless equation. The rim, sealant, psi and proper set-up all factor in too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    what pressures should i be running at a minimum? ive liked running around low to mid 20's should i be running closer to 30 psi if im going tubeless?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It seems like everyone feels comfortable on a slightly different psi so find what you like by starting out in the low 30s and dropping a pound or two until you hit the sweet spot. For bike parks I like 27 psi front and rear, but I know some people who run low 20s. I just don't want my set-up messing with my head as I ride so I probably play it a bit safe.