mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Minion DH Rear UST or Dual Ply ?

I'm choosing tyres for my new AM build, have UST rims (Mavic 823).
    Made up my mind for Minion DH Front UST and now cannot figure DH rear UST.
    CRC doesn't offer UST version for rear, neither my local bike shops. Is that possible Maxxis does not produce Minion DH rear in UST version ?
    Certain LBS advised using DH Rear Dual Ply instead on UST rim, according to their experience it holds pressure very well and they use it this way for aggressive AM.
    Can that be truth ? Does that sound using this Dual Ply in UST rim without tube ? How well it will seal ? (I intend to use a regular sealing compound inside of course).

Another option I consider is keeping Crossmark LUST on rear - same as I used to on my current bike that I used for aggressive XC/light AM. So that having Minion DH Front 2.5 UST and that Crossmark LUST 2.25 on rear. How about that ?
    I think I'd consider Crossmark option if Minion DH rea UST cannot be obtained and Dual Ply doesn't fit UST usage (does not seal well).

My riding style is something between XC to AM, unstable soil, dry rocky trails, non-very dramatic drops.

Will be happy to hear your opinions..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzabr View Post
    I'm choosing tyres for my new AM build, have UST rims (Mavic 823).
    Made up my mind for Minion DH Front UST and now cannot figure DH rear UST.
    CRC doesn't offer UST version for rear, neither my local bike shops. Is that possible Maxxis does not produce Minion DH rear in UST version ?
    Certain LBS advised using DH Rear Dual Ply instead on UST rim, according to their experience it holds pressure very well and they use it this way for aggressive AM.
    Can that be truth ? Does that sound using this Dual Ply in UST rim without tube ? How well it will seal ? (I intend to use a regular sealing compound inside of course).

Another option I consider is keeping Crossmark LUST on rear - same as I used to on my current bike that I used for aggressive XC/light AM. So that having Minion DH Front 2.5 UST and that Crossmark LUST 2.25 on rear. How about that ?
    I think I'd consider Crossmark option if Minion DH rea UST cannot be obtained and Dual Ply doesn't fit UST usage (does not seal well).

My riding style is something between XC to AM, unstable soil, dry rocky trails, non-very dramatic drops.

Will be happy to hear your opinions..
    I'm a little confused- you didn't list any sizes. I'm assuming you've selected a DHF 26x2.5 UST tire for the front. This tire is a true downhill tire, so it might be a little overkill for your application, based on your description.

But we do make two versions of the DHR in a UST 26x2.5 size, but they are DH tires. Again, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Other options to consider that aren't full-on DH tires are the High Roller 26x2.35 UST, the Ardent 26x2.25 UST, and the Ignitor 26x2.35 UST.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks.
    On my current bike I have Advantage 2.1 LUST at front and Crossmark 2.1 LUST at rear.
    On the new bike which is more aggressive and perhaps will allow me stepping up into somewhat more advanced AM riding I'd prefer wider tyres, at least 2.35. I just was advised by many to consider Minion DHF and DHR 2.5, many swear by them, but yet again, as part of my riding there are lots of tech. uphill climbs and I'm not sure how Minions would perform here since there are pure DH tyres as you mention.
    Or they are as good as others for technical uphills (rocky, unstable soil) ?
    Perhaps I'd better still to keep Advantage and Corssmark (both LUST) but just having them wider then 2.1 ? DO they exist in wider sizes ?
    Yes, I'm talking about standard 26" size..

mtbr member
    The single ply DHF's seal up well tubeless and would be light enough for your needs. I do NOT recommend the DHR; use a DHF for the rear as well, even for AM use (rolls and brakes better with plenty of traction).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

I walk the line
    Dual ply tires on an AM bikes seems like the wrong choice - boat anchors while climbing. Run single-ply, maybe the DHF EXO 2.5 3C. If you need more flat protection, throw in mid-weight tubes or run the rear tubeless (doable on non-tubeless tires with Stan's sealant - but tube might be better on the front for burp-proof at lower pressures.) A Minion 2.35 is a really tiny tire, more like a 2.1. The 2.5 is also fairly small, more like a 2.4.
    My girlfriend stole my hipster jeans.