mtbr member

Minimum rim width for a MTB wheel

I have some road rims (700 C) laying around and since I need another wheelset for full rigid 29er project I plan to use over pavement roads I was wondering which is the thinnest rim I can safely run a 2" knobby tire ?
    The thinnest comercial rim I already check is a 16 mm (internal or bed width) mines are 14mm, do you think is safe to use them ??

TIA
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Midle Age Warrior View Post
    I have some road rims (700 C) laying around and since I need another wheelset for full rigid 29er project I plan to use over pavement roads I was wondering which is the thinnest rim I can safely run a 2" knobby tire ?
    The thinnest comercial rim I already check is a 16 mm (internal or bed width) mines are 14mm, do you think is safe to use them ??

TIA
    There is no inherent problem in using road rims for a 29er. I have many done many hundreds of miles on old road wheels with fat tires. I have been amazed at their durability.
    But there is one difficulty you might encounter. This is if you use tubes. Because the beads on MTB tires are just plain bulkier than those on road tires, there is much less open space between them when mounted. On a very narrow rim this may not be enough for a valve to fit and be fully seated against the rim between the beads. This may result in (1) unnecessary localized stress on the tube/valve stem interface or (2) the valve being seated but interfering with the tire beads seating properly.

Narrow rims also result in less lateral support at any given inflation pressure, but not to the point of being unusable.
    Bottom line - You will probably get by fine @14 mm (I have noticed the above problems @~12.5mm and even a mm or two wider is better.)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

TIA
    "thin" and "narrow" are different things.

I am fine using wide tires on narrow road rims (2.6" on 19mm external)

Full knobbies on pavement? not so much
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    Why would you run 2" knobby tires on a bike your going to use on paved roads?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies
    I find this info very useful since were I live the 29er movement is starting and the 29er specific components are hard to find at the moment.
    DirtRoadie:
    Since I am using a 14mm internal width rim I noticed the valve problem just with the car type ones.

shiggy: "thin" and "narrow" are different things.
    My apologies for the lack of accurate but English is not my mother language, but thanks helping me to get better

mtnbiker72: Why would you run 2" knobby tires on a bike your going to use on paved roads?
    Because those IRC Mythos are not too knobby and when I said "... I plan to use over pavement roads..." I must said mostly on pavement roads
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ...mtnbiker72: Why would you run 2" knobby tires on a bike your going to use on paved roads?
    Because those IRC Mythos are not too knobby and when I said "... I plan to use over pavement roads..." I must said mostly on pavement roads
    Knobbies are still a poor choice.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common