for three!
    Mar 2008

Michelin XCR road ?

Anybody using this tire and have any pictures of them mounted? Looking to use this as my street tire, currently use furious freds for hard pack and while this probably would work well on the street, it would probably wear out too soon. The michelin looks pretty nice and the only real option for a mountain slick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just have to say there are a lot of options for 26" slicks, almost all manufacturers make one or more. I have nothing against Michelin, but often some brands are more available (and/or) cheaper in a given area.

for three!
    Mar 2008
    But an actual mountain slick? I've seen several mountain road tires, but they all have had some sort of tred in them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmalone1
    But an actual mountain slick? I've seen several mountain road tires, but they all have had some sort of tred in them.
    Some have just enough grooves to stop hydroplaning (hypothetically), like Maxxis Xenith, Tioga City Slicker, Continental Sport Contact. They must roll about the same as slicks, since the grooves are quite small and spaced out.

Is there a reason you can't use one of these?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have one which I use as a trainer tire. I've ridden it outside a couple of times. It's not on the same level as michelin's 700c tires like the carbon, pro2 or pro3 (which IMO are incredible). It's got a pretty rigid casing, seems like a very durable long lasting tire. I ran it at 60psi and felt every bump in the road. It would probably do alot better at around 40-50psi.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rode XCR about 300 km, it is fastest tire among slicks. Had only one flat from glass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Some have just enough grooves to stop hydroplaning (hypothetically), like Maxxis Xenith, Tioga City Slicker, Continental Sport Contact. They must roll about the same as slicks, since the grooves are quite small and spaced out.

Is there a reason you can't use one of these?
    Actually the grooves on a tire don't do much for hydroplaning, they are more for grip in gravel and things like that. For a tire to actually hydroplane, the bike would need to be going about 200 mph.

On a lot of road tires, we put "cheverons" (little grooves) on tires to give a bit more confidence to consumers. A lot of consumers see the slick treads and get very nervous about them skidding out.

As for the XCR Roads, that is my commuter tire on m 26" bike. I run it most of the year, including during the winter months here in New Hampshire and have never had any issues with them. I have sold a bunch of them to friends who use them for the same purpose and have had very good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Run a Michelin XCR rear & Maxxis Xenith front for my daily commute. Reason for mix'n'match is LBS only had 1 of each so I took em.

Both tyres are fast and good wearing - up to 2,300kms and still going strong. They have copped a shellacking from glass shards and still not a single flat in 12 months. Cornering grip is impressive. I run them both @ 50 psi.

Highly recommend either of these tyres.

The Maxxis Xentith is also a true slick - does not have grooves - it does (did) have some slightly raised "maxxis" lettering all over the tyre.