mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Michelin XC Dry 2 or WTB Mutano Raptor for rear?

I'm looking for a large volume fast rolling rear tire for my hardtail and have considered these two.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by genci
    I'm looking for a large volume fast rolling rear tire for my hardtail and have considered these two.Any opinions?Thanks
    Just a XC Dry 2 review here:

As far as large volume, there are sure bigger low resistance rollers; but it's big for a 2.0.

I used a Michelin XC Dry 2 on the rear of my FS last summer and into the fall. I bought as a fast roller and it sure is. The funky short tread design was a little concern, as I figured I need to switch it out at the first sign of moistness, however, it held well & I was thrilled with it as my everyday go to tire. It is super predictable, rode well on roots. Any slippage on damp roots I was comfortable to keep it nailed. And it grabbed dry rock superwell. Great on dry ST.

Not sure about durability, sidewalls would most likely get torn up on sharp edge stuff, but* I had no issues in that department. I don't think I'd take it to the PNW, however in the East it was good in the loose & sandy, NE ST woods, & pretty god damb good in the never really dry far North East deep woods with big canapy. (think NE Kingdom)

All Mountain...? I don't know. I rode it a lot (5-8hrs a week for 3 months), strictly on ST and will put it on my HT & get a new one for my FS next. In short...I loved it for what it is...not a freeride, but XT screemer.

edit note: I just looked at it and the tread looks to be still 3/4 life, however, the sidewalls are showing rotational lines & cords. What I like is it's kind of a non-pro racer, it will last longer and for a slowbee like me will keep drag down. IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Alternatives - how about Hutch Pirahna or Python 2.3?

I had good results running an XC dry (not dry2) 2.0 on mixed conditions but it's not a big volume tire.

www.derbyrims.com
    Nothing rolls better than the Mutanoraptor. I'm not familiar with the Mich tire. Way better cornering grip than a Python which I removed after a few weeks of disappointment and went back to Mutanos. The Mutano duel compound wears very long. The Mutano is a great tire for hardpack to moderately rough and loose use.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Nothing rolls better than the Mutanoraptor. I'm not familiar with the Mich tire. Way better cornering grip than a Python which I removed after a few weeks of disappointment and went back to Mutanos. The Mutano duel compound wears very long. The Mutano is a great tire for hardpack to moderately rough and loose use.
    That's the kind of terrain I usually ride.