mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Michelin XC Dry 2 2.0- Not so great experience

Here is the story.

I have an Ibis Cousin It full rigid tandem I ride with my son. It gets ridden both on pavement and dry trails, so I wanted a tire to does everything well. The problem, it has limited fork clearance. Ideal would be a WTB Weirwolf 2.55LT with lots of volume, reasonable rolling resistance, and good hardpack and road traction. They don't fit. So I used to run WTB Nanoraptor 2.1's, clear well, great on the road, so so climbing traction. I then went to WTB Mutano Rapator 2.4's. They barely clear the fork (literally 2 mm on each side) and rub in harder turns.

So I was looking for a new tire, up pop the Michelin XC Dry 2 2.0 tires. They look like a nice tread, reasonable weight, should roll well and offer reasonable traction, while clearing my fork. I mount them up, they measure right at 51.5 mm, I figure sweet, I'm good to go.

I take them out for a ride last night, they roll decently, I go to turn at the first paved corner and am just about go down. These things have no cornering traction, they just start to slide. I thought maybe better on the dirt, nope, poor climbing traction and they start to slide very early. They are coming off ASAP, back to the Nanoraptors.

I'm no tire expert, I have been happy with all my other tires (Racing Ralphs, Nobby Nics, Alberts, Mutano Raptors, Weirwolf LT 2.55, Nanoraptor), but have finally found a set of tires in the Michelins that I think suck. So be careful if you buy these things.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not sure I would think it's a bad tire, just one taken out of it's intended design spec.
    Now, maybe others perform ok out of spec. OTOH, how do they perform within it?
    Put them on a normal bike then give some feed back and let us know what you think.
    IF you were riding the bike one up then it would be a bit different. I would wonder why you report this yet quite a few others have found them to be ok.

What PSI were you running at?

eBiker
    Hmmm. I found the 2.3 Dry 2 to be pretty spectacular on the rear. I was surprised for it to run really well all winter (good in light mud, not great on wet roots/rocks). I run it on a SS.

I am so stoked on it, I am putting one on the rear of my 6x6 bike.

Is it possible the manufacturer coating was still on the rubber?

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 03-28-2009 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    also had a pair of these - terrible tire. not that fast rolling and very unpredictable handling and terrible cornering. low pressure, high pressure, dry, tacky, didn't matter.

i noticed in a LBS they have changed the tread a bit this year, little bigger blocks down the middle, so less folding i would guess.

also have another set of mich tires. all mountain 2.2 - much faster and better handling, but get this, the knobs are torn off after only about 100 km or hardpack dirt (no rocks or roads). brutal quality or lack up.

mich is one of the worst major tire brands in my books.

bi-winning
    Tire pressure? Maybe your pump is giving false readings? Or maybe, these tires just aren't for you.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Edibles
    I like them as a rear tire,until it gets real steep.That when it's nice to be rolling on a full on Knobby and Yes I do no how to use my Front Brake.
    My oem parts 14 screws 3 plates and two hip replacement.I hope that's enough upgrades.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm running 38 front, 34 rear (remember it is a tandem and my stoker only weighs 50 pounds so the weight distribution is a little different). I took them on another ride today, still not that impressed with them as a tire, on hardpack dirt they started to give up the ghost way earlier than any other tire I have ever had. I was running slightly lower pressure on the WTB Mutanoraptors without the tire rolling over like these are and the tread letting go in corners. They are coming off soon as I feel they are a hazard in the turns.
    Riding slowly since 1977.