Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?

Just wanted to get some feedback/opinions from anyone that has some rides on the new Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 tires that came out this summer?

mtbr member
    Im using the advanced version and absolutely love mine, no complaints. I use one on the front tire only. I find them very predictable in loose sand/dirt.

I went to them after using Xking SS with black chili (one ride would leave me with shredded/torn knobs off).. but thats a whole different thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Im using the advanced version and absolutely love mine, no complaints. I use one on the front tire only. I find them very predictable in loose sand/dirt.

I went to them after using Xking SS with black chili (one ride would leave me with shredded/torn knobs off).. but thats a whole different thread
    Thanks for the info. Have you tried them on wet rocks and roots?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_NH View Post
    Thanks for the info. Have you tried them on wet rocks and roots?
    I havent had an problems with them on wet roots, cant comment on wet rocks since down here in Florida its almost all coral rocks, so even if theyre wet theyre sharp and abrasive...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A good tyre in front mount, i have one. "light" and resistant. very good on dry, not so bad in wet , but attention when it's slippy. sorry for my english.

no trees are safe
    Michelin Wild GripíR 2013 volume tread use?
    This might interest you. I have the non-advanced version.

To my previous statements I may add that the tyre behaves predictably on hardpack and grips well on sand. After about hundred KM of mixed trail/road use the tyres look barely used. Its also good for dry terrain, where its swift and responsive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Michelin Wild GripíR 2013 volume tread use?
    This might interest you. I have the non-advanced version.

To my previous statements I may add that the tyre behaves predictably on hardpack and grips well on sand. After about hundred KM of mixed trail/road use the tyres look barely used. Its also good for dry terrain, where its swift and responsive.
    Are they still scary on wet roots?

no trees are safe
    I haven't ridden them on wet roots recently. I stayed off that track for some time now. Perhaps I'll check it out tomorow depending on the weather conditions. From what other people say though the Advanced version has a different compound that stick on wet roots pretty well.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden them on wet roots recently. I stayed off that track for some time now. Perhaps I'll check it out tomorow depending on the weather conditions. From what other people say though the Advanced version has a different compound that stick on wet roots pretty well.
    Cool, I have a 26 X 2.25 Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced on order that I will use to replace a Continental MK II 2.4 Protection. The MK shed its lugs after basically 2 rides and 100 miles latter, is completely bald. Crazy. Will use this in the rear. If it works well, I may replace my Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo front tire, which weighs close to 900grams.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Cool, I have a 26 X 2.25 Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced on order that I will use to replace a Continental MK II 2.4 Protection. The MK shed its lugs after basically 2 rides and 100 miles latter, is completely bald. Crazy. Will use this in the rear. If it works well, I may replace my Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo front tire, which weighs close to 900grams.
    Have you tried contacting Continental to address the broken knobs/treads? I have heard from others that they were replacing them. Worth a shot I suppose....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Have you tried contacting Continental to address the broken knobs/treads? I have heard from others that they were replacing them. Worth a shot I suppose....
    I didnt contact them, and I dont have any doubt they would be replaced.. but I dont believe its a defect issue. The tires are great at what they do. Theyre very soft and sticky. GREAT for a race, if youre getting new tires every race. Just not durable enough to use for multiple races/rides. Replacing them would be useless since the condition would simply occur again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    No, because I am an idiot, I purchased them "new" from ebay.

The funny thing is I really like my old MK I tires. The had great grip and fantastic rolling resistance. The MK II's seem worse in both regards. Even without any knobs, the rolling resistance seems worse...

no trees are safe
    Continental stated that they had a defective batch and did replaced the tyres from that batch.

mtbr member
    Just got my Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced 2.25 mounted with tubes on 819 rims. No pics yet, but they look small. This is compared to the Continental MK II 2.4's that were there previously. Will get a ride in tomorrow morning and will report back. Will ride them with tubes before pulling them and adding some stans.

mtbr member
    Just got my Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced 2.25 mounted with tubes on 819 rims. No pics yet, but they look small. This is compared to the Continental MK II 2.4's that were there previously. Will get a ride in tomorrow morning and will report back. Will ride them with tubes before pulling them and adding some stans.
    Can't wait for your report!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Also considering these tires on 819 rims - awaiting your impressions.

mtbr member
    When I put these on, I was a little underwhelmed at their size. It just looks smaller than the MK II that I had on their previously. I run a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo up front, which is a HUGE tire so it makes the bike look a little funny. I was going to go straight to tubeless but wanted to get a ride in just to make sure I liked the tire. I ran the tire with close to 40 lbs of air, which is crazy high for me but was afraid of pinching so kept the pressure high.

Ride this morning was pretty dry and heavily leaf covered. Some wet spots but nothing major. The tire itself is pretty darn good. Rolls a lot better than the MK II and grips a ton, both on dirt and rocks. Out of the saddle, the tires still hooked up and was a huge improvement over the MK II. The tire also took rocks and roots really well and really felt stable. I would not call the roots wet, more damp from the cold temps,but I got no slip when I hit them. All of this with way too much pressure and tubes no less. Overall, I am really impressed. Darn good tire.

mtbr member
    When I put these on, I was a little underwhelmed at their size. It just looks smaller than the MK II that I had on their previously. I run a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo up front, which is a HUGE tire so it makes the bike look a little funny. I was going to go straight to tubeless but wanted to get a ride in just to make sure I liked the tire. I ran the tire with close to 40 lbs of air, which is crazy high for me but was afraid of pinching so kept the pressure high.

Ride this morning was pretty dry and heavily leaf covered. Some wet spots but nothing major. The tire itself is pretty darn good. Rolls a lot better than the MK II and grips a ton, both on dirt and rocks. Out of the saddle, the tires still hooked up and was a huge improvement over the MK II. The tire also took rocks and roots really well and really felt stable. I would not call the roots wet, more damp from the cold temps,but I got no slip when I hit them. All of this with way too much pressure and tubes no less. Overall, I am really impressed. Darn good tire.
    Good to hear. Im going to give the 29x2.25 a try.

mtbr member
    Pulled the tube this morning, added two cups of stans and pumped up to 40psi with a floor pump without much hassle. Had the "seat the bead" twice but that was it. Popped in nicely. See if it holds but feel good about getting these to work tubeless. This is on a 819 rim. Will be going for a ride tomorrow and will give another update.

mtbr member
    Yesterdays ride was wet. Morning fog put a a thin layer of water on all the rocks and such. Tire was good but not like a nevegal or a highroller in traction. Reduced the pressure to ~25 and worked well. Still impressed with this tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Any new thoughts or updates on this tire? I was thinking of trying the 26x2.25 advanced version. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driven916 View Post
    Any new thoughts or updates on this tire? I was thinking of trying the 26x2.25 advanced version. Thanks!
    Nothing really new to report. Good all around tire. Rolls fast, corners well, has good grip. Highly recommended. Easy to set up tubeless as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nothing really new to report. Good all around tire. Rolls fast, corners well, has good grip. Highly recommended. Easy to set up tubeless as well.
    Thanks!

no trees are safe
    Also I might add that they behave very well on wet tarmac. Since the local trail are converted into a mudbath right now I've been using them for a bit of urban riding, and they behave very well in wet or dry conditions (Much better than continental MK II, Bontrager Jones XR or no-name semislicks).

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Millfox! Are you guys using them as both front and back tires?

no trees are safe
    Eyup. Although the front is 2,25 and rear is 2,1

mtbr member
    Thanks Millfox! Are you guys using them as both front and back tires?
    Im using the wild grip'r 2 advanced on the front only. Using the Wild race'r Ultimate Advanced on the rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the responses. FLMike, how do you like that combo? I'm running Schwalbe Nobby Nic up front and Racing Ralph rear, both TLR 26x2.25 Snakeskin. I love 'em but they wear pretty quickly and are pretty expensive. I haven't ried Michelin tires yet so I was interested in the same combo, although for the winter I was thinking of having the Advanced 2.25 Grip'r front and rear.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. FLMike, how do you like that combo? I'm running Schwalbe Nobby Nic up front and Racing Ralph rear, both TLR 26x2.25 Snakeskin. I love 'em but they wear pretty quickly and are pretty expensive. I haven't ried Michelin tires yet so I was interested in the same combo, although for the winter I was thinking of having the Advanced 2.25 Grip'r front and rear.
    I like it. I cant comment on long term wear cause Ive only been using them for XC races the past few months, but so far all the knobs still exist, which is already better than my last rear tire.

mtbr member
    Subscribing.. want to know more about these tires.

FLMike, what was your last tire that was losing knobs? Schwalbe Rocket Ron by chance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Millfox, how do you like it as a rear tire? How's the rolling resistance compared to some of the other tires you've tried?

mtbr member
    I run mine as a rear tire (2.25 Advanced) and it rolls much better than a Continental MKII (2.4). Not a Rocket Ron, but not bad.

mtbr member
    May 2006

good for cross country.....

not so good for AM. When it's rolling terrain and dry, the tire works well because of it's low profile (short nobbs) thus light weight. But because it's light, I had a side wall cut in each tire after only a few short rides (had to through out) and low profile didn't give good grip in wet.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker T View Post
    not so good for AM. When it's rolling terrain and dry, the tire works well because of it's low profile (short nobbs) thus light weight. But because it's light, I had a side wall cut in each tire after only a few short rides (had to through out) and low profile didn't give good grip in wet.
    No standard casing tire is good for AM. What size were you using?

The UST and 2.35 (reinforced) casings are robust enough for AM.

P

no trees are safe
    Millfox, how do you like it as a rear tire? How's the rolling resistance compared to some of the other tires you've tried?
    I've never used any race tyre patterns so its a relative question for me. I'd say it rolls a bit slower that the Bontrager Jones XR yet has a lot more grip in climbs. And it has definitely less rolling resistance than the Mountain king II.
    I'd say it's an acceptable tyre for every day trail or XC riding if weight isn't your top priority

mtbr member
    Just an update to say that these are really great tires that continue to impress me. Found the sweet spot with pressure and ridding them feels like I am in heaven. In or out of the saddle, they have great grip. They roll fast, hold a line well and climb like a demon. Really impressed with this tire. It weighs exactly as advertised, was easy to set up tubeless.

Two big tubes up for a way under appreciated tire.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

no trees are safe
    Whats your weight, how heavy is your bike n whats the pressure?

mtbr member
    Whats your weight, how heavy is your bike n whats the pressure?
    I am close to 200 lbs kited up and ride a 28lb 2011 Turner 5-spot. I found a happy medium with 28lbs front and rear. They are mounted on 819 rims and run tubeless with Stans. I have the advanced version.

They are not great mud tires but I never ride in mud. Right now, the trails are frozen and bone dry. In these conditions, these tires are fantastic. They hook up in almost every condition and are really confidence inspiring. Without question, some of the best tires I have ever used.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had my first ride on the 2.25 WG'r Adv. It installed easily, ghetto tubeless. Running it on the rear of a hardtail. I think it's the knobbiest tire I've ridden so far but seems to pedal easily. I don't feel that huge of a difference between it and the Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25 it replaced. There IS a difference but nothing that I would consider negative. I lowered the pressure a bit & will do so again on the next ride- climbing over roots/rocks was good, & it seemed to grip really well in corners.

I'm thinking the 2.35 reinforced tire may be what I'll buy when I need a new front tire this summer. The price is pretty good. I am a little paranoid that the 2.25 doesn't have a reinforced sidewall (like the Ardent) but my trails are not all that gnarly but there's still enough rocks to cut'em open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    I had my first ride on the 2.25 WG'r Adv. It installed easily, ghetto tubeless. Running it on the rear of a hardtail. I think it's the knobbiest tire I've ridden so far but seems to pedal easily. I don't feel that huge of a difference between it and the Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25 it replaced. There IS a difference but nothing that I would consider negative. I lowered the pressure a bit & will do so again on the next ride- climbing over roots/rocks was good, & it seemed to grip really well in corners.

I'm thinking the 2.35 reinforced tire may be what I'll buy when I need a new front tire this summer. The price is pretty good. I am a little paranoid that the 2.25 doesn't have a reinforced sidewall (like the Ardent) but my trails are not all that gnarly but there's still enough rocks to cut'em open.
    Thanks for the update. The Exo sidewall is really tuff. Post your pressures and weight if you get a chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Glad I found this thread! I've been curious because I work for Michelin and would get 30% back of my purchased price. Thinking of using the grip'r on the front and the race'r in the rear

mtbr member
    Update on mine. I rode them into the ground. My rear tire is balder than Gallagher. I ran them for 5 months straight for everything. Trail riding, super d and enduro races etc... I set them up tubeless and ran them bald. I never added sealant, never burped them or cut them in that 5 months.
    I had the wildgrip'r 2 2.25 non advanced tires, and they are a huge high volume tire. Michelin advanced and regular 60tpi tires use different casings. The advance casing is a regular size 2.25 but the 60 tpi tires are huge. The high volume let me run less pressure, and they gripped well in all conditions even though they are not the softest tires around. I rode them a ton in the wet and they are good as long as you just let them roll on wet tree roots and don't do anything stupid. Overall I really like them as an all around tire and I recommend them for sure.
    Now, I have a Super D race tomorrow and I just mounted up the 2.35 Wildgrip'r 2 advanced reinforced tires. If you have not seen these in person, they are absolute beasts. It does not even look like the same tread pattern as the other wildgrip'r 2 tires because the knobs are super big and chunky like a Dh tire. The compound is also really soft, and the sidewalls are really beefed up. My buddy is already running them and he says they grip as well as any Dh tire he has ridden. I will report back after I get some rides on them.
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    I'm a big fan of these tires as well. I ran them all last summer and never had a single issue, no sidewall cuts, no torn knobs, no burping. They were on American Classic AM wheels. Love these...light, roll fast, good predictable traction. Going to build up my XC race 29er with a wild gripper front and racer rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I'm a big fan of these tires as well. I ran them all last summer and never had a single issue, no sidewall cuts, no torn knobs, no burping. They were on American Classic AM wheels. Love these...light, roll fast, good predictable traction. Going to build up my XC race 29er with a wild gripper front and racer rear.
    Actually I have you to thank for the original recommendation.
    Great find and report. Have a dropper post you could recommend?

mtbr member
    Well, I'm going to have to say the DSP Bighorn. Not the lightest but probably the most reliable.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    On my 5th ride, I got a large enough puncture in my Wild Grip'r that Stan's could not seal up so had to throw in the heavy Slime tube I had laying around. I like the tire but from now on, I'll pay extra for a tire with some puncture & sidewall protection. I think I ran over a gnarled root; it flatted immediately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    On my 5th ride, I got a large enough puncture in my Wild Grip'r that Stan's could not seal up so had to throw in the heavy Slime tube I had laying around. I like the tire but from now on, I'll pay extra for a tire with some puncture & sidewall protection. I think I ran over a gnarled root; it flatted immediately.
    standard model, advanced, or reinforced?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    standard model, advanced, or reinforced?
    It's the advanced 2.25 tire.

If you ride rough trails, I'd think the reinforced 2.35 would be best. I may consider it for a front tire later this year.

mtbr member
    Last night I mounted my Michelin Wild Grip'r 2's on my Yeti Big Top. 29x2.25 front and rear. They easily mounted tubeless on my Mavic Crossmax wheels! I will be sure to write a review once I get some time on them this spring. So far I can say the tires are built very well with great fit and finish. Michelin appears to have done their homework on these and If they perform as good as they are made they will rock!
    Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-wg1.jpgMichelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-wg2.jpgMichelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-wg3.jpgMichelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-wg4.jpgMichelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-wg5.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've just got a set of these. 26" 2.25 Advanced, fitted them today on Arch EX rims with out much hassle just needed a lever to pop the last section on. The first ride will be next week.
    They seem to have a slightly more tread depth than Maxxis Advantage 2.25's but thats purely on a visual check as I have no way to accurately measure it.

mtbr member
    How do you guys think these tires would fair in rocky conditions? I ride quite a variety of trails but the go to spot is littered with jagged rocks/lava cap. Looking for a lighterweight fast rolling tire but am a bit questionable on the durability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YamiRider1316 View Post
    How do you guys think these tires would fair in rocky conditions? I ride quite a variety of trails but the go to spot is littered with jagged rocks/lava cap. Looking for a lighterweight fast rolling tire but am a bit questionable on the durability.
    If I lived in a place with sharp cutting rocks, I would get some Maxxis tires with exo sidewalls. I love the Michelins but don't think they would last real long in situations like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been meaning to write a full review, but I have no time. So a quick summary for the 2.35 Advanced Reinforced.

- These are much beefier then the 2.25 versions: bigger/thicker knobs and a much thicker casing.
    - About bike/rider: I have these mounted on an 07 Giant Reign X. I climb because I have to in order to get to the descents, but I really only care about how fast I can get down the trail. I like my trail bikes to ride like my DH bike.
    - Mount up tubeless just fine with a floor pump on Flows. They held air with just soapy water overnight. No burps in two months using 1.5 scoops of Stans.
    - I usually run DHF 2.5 EXOs when it's dry. This winter I also ran Dirty Dans F/R as well as Dirty Dan F/Muddy Mary R
    - The 2.35 Grip'r 2 has the most predictable drift characteristics I've come across in the dry, previously this was the DHF for me. Absolute cornering grip is a little less, but I'm noticeably faster in corners because I completely trust throwing the bike into a drift at higher speeds. This may be due to the side knob design - if you take a look at them, the have a crease (not really sure if you can call it a sipe) part way down the outside edge that appears would cause the knob to have a progressive give characteristics. Other tires do this by having two different types of sideknobs, but the effect is similar.
    - It corners well in the wet and loam as well (better then the DHF or Mary), likely due to the height of the side knobs. Thankfully those side knobs are also nice and thick.
    - The only place I've lost control in the past two months is grass covered mud.
    - Braking is about the same as a DHF, nothing to write home about.
    - There are no extended root sections or rock slabs around me, so I don't know how these do on wet roots/rocks.

The best description of the Grip'r2s I can give is that they feel surfy when cornering, like slashing a pow turns on a snowboard, but on hard pack. I love these tires. They've replaced my DHFs in all but slop conditions where the Dirty Dan is still my choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New Favorite

The 29x2.25 weigh only 704 grams the wild grip'r is my new favorite tire!! Low price, low weight, very well made. Do you see how true the tire spins on wheel, very low rolling resistance. This tire out grips the Nobby nic, and has stronger sidewall in my opinion. Also like it better than the Racing Ralph where the sidewall I wore up and sliced it after only about 100 miles.

At 40 buck for the Mich, this is the tire. Also this is a true 2.25 tire in with, not undersized like other brands. Continental to name one.

mtbr member
    I just mounted a set of Race'R's on my new Titus Carbon Rockstar. 2.1 rear, 2.25 front. The 2.1 weighed 580 grams and measured exactly 2.1", the 2.25 weighed 670 grams and measured 2.3". Looks to be the same bomber casing as the Grip'rs. Volume is great. It will be a while until they see dirt but the rolled pretty good on pavement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-p1050369.jpg  

Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-p1050365.jpg  

Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?-p1050364.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Just a data point for anyone looking. I bought a set of the Wild Grip'r 2 advanced in 26 x 2.25 for my son's bike. I decided to try the advanced version since they were lighter and he only weighs 90 pounds, so it makes a difference for him.

I am glad to report the weights were pretty close to advertised, 597 grams for one, 602 grams for the other. The sizing in the Advanced is definetely smaller than the non-advanced. After sitting overnight, I come up with 52mm on my caliper (casing), mounted to a Crossmax UST wheel (19mm internal width). This is definitely smaller than the non-advanced, which was measured by Bike magazine at 53.7mm and 680 grams.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

J:
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp View Post
    I've been meaning to write a full review, but I have no time. So a quick summary for the 2.35 Advanced Reinforced.- These are much beefier then the 2.25 versions: bigger/thicker knobs and a much thicker casing. - About bike/rider: I have these mounted on an 07 Giant Reign X. I climb because I have to in order to get to the descents, but I really only care about how fast I can get down the trail. I like my trail bikes to ride like my DH bike.- Mount up tubeless just fine with a floor pump on Flows. They held air with just soapy water overnight. No burps in two months using 1.5 scoops of Stans. - I usually run DHF 2.5 EXOs when it's dry. This winter I also ran Dirty Dans F/R as well as Dirty Dan F/Muddy Mary R- The 2.35 Grip'r 2 has the most predictable drift characteristics I've come across in the dry, previously this was the DHF for me. Absolute cornering grip is a little less, but I'm noticeably faster in corners because I completely trust throwing the bike into a drift at higher speeds. This may be due to the side knob design - if you take a look at them, the have a crease (not really sure if you can call it a sipe) part way down the outside edge that appears would cause the knob to have a progressive give characteristics. Other tires do this by having two different types of sideknobs, but the effect is similar.- It corners well in the wet and loam as well (better then the DHF or Mary), likely due to the height of the side knobs. Thankfully those side knobs are also nice and thick.- The only place I've lost control in the past two months is grass covered mud.- Braking is about the same as a DHF, nothing to write home about.- There are no extended root sections or rock slabs around me, so I don't know how these do on wet roots/rocks.The best description of the Grip'r2s I can give is that they feel surfy when cornering, like slashing a pow turns on a snowboard, but on hard pack. I love these tires. They've replaced my DHFs in all but slop conditions where the Dirty Dan is still my choice.
    Sweet review, how does size compare between the 2.35 Advanced Reinforced and the Muddy Mary 2.35 FR? I'm looking for slightly taller tire and it's between three tires I haven't tried yet, this Grip'r 2.35, the 2.4 Ardent or Rubber Queen/Trail King 2.4

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Sweet review, how does size compare between the 2.35 Advanced Reinforced and the Muddy Mary 2.35 FR? I'm looking for slightly taller tire and it's between three tires I haven't tried yet, this Grip'r 2.35, the 2.4 Ardent or Rubber Queen/Trail King 2.4
    About the same size. 58mm at the knobs, 52mm at the casing on Flows (measured with a ruler, not calipers).

They're much grippier then Ardent 2.4s. Haven't tried the Rubber Queen or Trail King.

J:
    mtbr member
    About the same size. 58mm at the knobs, 52mm at the casing on Flows (measured with a ruler, not calipers). They're much grippier then Ardent 2.4s. Haven't tried the Rubber Queen or Trail King.
    Rocky dry, loose hard pack w/ lots of climbing to get there sounds familiar. I use the 2.5 DHF as rear also, how does the 2.35 Grip'r rolling resistance as a rear compare to the DHF?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Just a data point for anyone looking. I bought a set of the Wild Grip'r 2 advanced in 26 x 2.25 for my son's bike. I decided to try the advanced version since they were lighter and he only weighs 90 pounds, so it makes a difference for him.

I am glad to report the weights were pretty close to advertised, 597 grams for one, 602 grams for the other. The sizing in the Advanced is definetely smaller than the non-advanced. After sitting overnight, I come up with 52mm on my caliper (casing), mounted to a Crossmax UST wheel (19mm internal width). This is definitely smaller than the non-advanced, which was measured by Bike magazine at 53.7mm and 680 grams.
    Just to verify those caliper measurements are for a 2.25? Thinking about 2.1s all around for my Salsa hardtail but if these measurement are for the 2.25 the 2.1s might be small. Also is the rubber on the advanced softer? just wondering which would be more durable in terms of treadwear over the long run?

Anyone have measurements for a 2.1 advanced or non-advanced?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by richsto View Post
    Just to verify those caliper measurements are for a 2.25? Thinking about 2.1s all around for my Salsa hardtail but if these measurement are for the 2.25 the 2.1s might be small. Also is the rubber on the advanced softer? just wondering which would be more durable in terms of treadwear over the long run?

Since they have been mounted and inflated for a week now, I went and double checked. With them set at 30 psi, I come up with a casing width of 52-53mm and tread width of 55-56mm. The reason for the variance is that the there is actually 1mm of difference at different points in the tire. I measured at 7 different points around the tire and the above is the narrowest and widest of the points. This is for the 2.25 Advanced version on a 19mm internal width rim.

I can't really comment on how they ride as they are on my 9 year old son's bike. His feeback is they work well and he seemed to be spinning out a bit less on climbs than he was on 2.25 rocket ron's in the performance version. This could also be because the tubeless tire conforms to the ground a bit better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Rocky dry, loose hard pack w/ lots of climbing to get there sounds familiar. I use the 2.5 DHF as rear also, how does the 2.35 Grip'r rolling resistance as a rear compare to the DHF?
    I can't tell a difference, but I'm not super sensitive to rolling resistance. If anything, probably slightly less due to less open tread area I'd think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by richsto View Post

Just take note the Michelin Advanced is usually much smaller than the ordinary folding.They come closer to what's considered normal undersized.It's that weight weenie racer weight comparison thing. Michelin 2.1 ordinary folding are usually the same volume and size of most mfg 2.25's.The 2.25 ordinary folding have the same volume and are nearly as big as most mfg's 2.4's.

The advanced have the softer compound . The ordinary compound lasts better than most but as a result is less than ordinary on wet rocks etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

After reading this thread, I am looking for a 29er 2.25 Wild Grip'R (regular) for the front. Anyone know who has the best price?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Look on ebay for around 40 bucks. Quick note on size my 29x2.25 Wild Grip'R 59.32 mm wide. Cont. Mountain King 29x2.4 on the same Pacenti TL28 rim 58.12 wide.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Should be as tall or taller as well.

May contain nuts
    Are they difficult to mount on Stans BST rims? I read they're designed for UST and can be a real struggle, like Geax TNT...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Are they difficult to mount on Stans BST rims? I read they're designed for UST and can be a real struggle, like Geax TNT...
    Not at all. I had no problems mounting mine.

App-a-LATCH-un
    Iíve been running the 26 2.25 advanced for a while now. I really like the tire, but lately the front has been burping really badly, sometimes enough to lose all air and control. I tried an extra layer of tape and ran a tube to set the tape and while running the tube, I sucked a bunch of dirt and leaves in the side of the rim bead. If it were tubeless, that would have resulted in a blow out and wipe-out. I think the bead may be stretched? Or maybe Iím not getting the bead to seat fully and therefore the bead comes off the rim easier. The rim is a WTB Frequency i19. Any ideas?
    Fifty-two, I mean fifty-four bicycles on the wall
    Ready to ride, ready to ride until the last of them falls

Save Jesus
    I got a 26x2.25 Advanced a few days ago.

It was difficult to set up tubeless with a floor pump only. The beads are soft and tend to fall into the center channel. I had to go around both sides of the tire trying to pull the bead up towards the bead shelf.

It has the best sealed sidewall I have ever seen. Did not have any pinhole leaks and held pressure overnight without any of that "shake and lay the tire on its side" business.

It does seem to roll better than my Bontrager XR4 with less buzzing on pavement and smooth hardpack.

I am not sure yet about the cornering grip. When rolling, you can see that there is a gap between the center knobs and the side knobs. I hope this isn't one of those tires that "starts to slip out but then grabs" or "requires you to really lean it over to grip". When cornering over hadrpack with a little gravel on top, it suddenly gets louder when cornering harder, which automatically caused me to back off. Doesn't feel as confidence inspiring as the XR4. It hasn't slipped out on me yet, though. Maybe if I lower the pressure a little more it would help?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I got a 26x2.25 Advanced a few days ago.

It was difficult to set up tubeless with a floor pump only. The beads are soft and tend to fall into the center channel. I had to go around both sides of the tire trying to pull the bead up towards the bead shelf.

It has the best sealed sidewall I have ever seen. Did not have any pinhole leaks and held pressure overnight without any of that "shake and lay the tire on its side" business.

It does seem to roll better than my Bontrager XR4 with less buzzing on pavement and smooth hardpack.

I am not sure yet about the cornering grip. When rolling, you can see that there is a gap between the center knobs and the side knobs. I hope this isn't one of those tires that "starts to slip out but then grabs" or "requires you to really lean it over to grip". When cornering over hadrpack with a little gravel on top, it suddenly gets louder when cornering harder, which automatically caused me to back off. Doesn't feel as confidence inspiring as the XR4. It hasn't slipped out on me yet, though. Maybe if I lower the pressure a little more it would help?
    You will need to work with the pressure to find the "sweet" spot. I found that the tire would wash out on loose soil when I was out of the "sweet" spot.

When I set up my tires, I always use a tire iron to seat the bead. I have never had to use anything but a floor pump to inflate the tire.

I use about 31 lbs of air in the rear (and 33) in the front to keep things in place for me and my spot (6'1", 205 lbs).

mtbr member
    I have a 26x2.25 Advanced on the front with a Ground Control 26x2.3 rear. Most recently I was running a set of Geax Saguaro TNTs, 2.2 front and 2.0 rear.

The Michelin has a LOT more grip. The Saguaro is a really fast tire, but the Michelin isn't bad. I am pretty happy with the strength of the knobs on hardpack. A lot of times when you get a really beefy shoulder knob it'll squirm a lot on hardpack, but I haven't had a problem yet.

One specific thing Beanbag said was he could hear the knobs. Yes. On hardpack (or pavement, for that matter) the sound of the tire changes when you're on that shoulder knob and it roars.

You don't have the chuck the tire onto the shoulder knobs, you can work there progressively.

Save Jesus
    I got in one more ride today, but there was very minimal testing. I am starting to think that this tire is not the best for my conditions, which is a thin layer of gravel and dust over hardpack. I think maybe there are just not enough knobs to "stand on". The XR4, with more knobs, was kind of a "point it wherever, do whatever" kind of very forgiving tire. This one I am not so sure yet. Someday, I will get both tires and just do figure 8's in the dirt parking lot.

There is another type of soil condition up in the hills where there are more leaves and more organic material, so the soil is softer. Maybe this tire will work better there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Can anyone compare advanced and nonadvanced version?

mtbr member
    I got in one more ride today, but there was very minimal testing. I am starting to think that this tire is not the best for my conditions, which is a thin layer of gravel and dust over hardpack. I think maybe there are just not enough knobs to "stand on". The XR4, with more knobs, was kind of a "point it wherever, do whatever" kind of very forgiving tire. This one I am not so sure yet. Someday, I will get both tires and just do figure 8's in the dirt parking lot.

There is another type of soil condition up in the hills where there are more leaves and more organic material, so the soil is softer. Maybe this tire will work better there.
    I hope it works out for you. If not, are you planning to go back to the XR4 or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Srdan View Post
    I don't have a durometer but the advanced is a softer rubber compound. The casing is more compliant also. The tread pattern is identical.

Someone commented a while back that the advanced seemed smaller than the regular variety but I didn't notice that. My wife's bike has a 26x2.1 and it's exactly 2.1" wide at the shoulder knob on a 19mm ID rim (Mavic). I have a 26x2.25 advanced and it is exactly 2.25" at the knobs, also on a 19mm Mavic rim.

The profile looks slightly different-- the 2.25 is a bit more round-- but I've had a number of 2.25 and 2.3" tires on narrow rims and it does make them more rounded left-to-right across the tread. I would bet the two sizes would have a more similar profile on a wider rim, say 23mm or greater.

I dig trails!
    Non Advanced:
    - harder 63A (& faster) rubber, single compound, a bit thicker sidewalls, over sized, wears longer

Advanced:
    - sticker 50A rubber, dual compound, thinner/more supple casing, smaller, lighter, wears shorter

P

Save Jesus
    I hope it works out for you. If not, are you planning to go back to the XR4 or something else?
    I have two front wheels, so the XR4 remains the "all / bad conditions" front tire. I am looking for another tire that is a dry conditions faster roller. Maybe the XR3? Still too early to give up on this tire, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Non Advanced:
    - harder 63A (& faster) rubber, single compound, a bit thicker sidewalls, over sized, wears longer

Advanced:
    - sticker 50A rubber, dual compound, thinner/more supple casing, smaller, lighter, wears shorter

P
    Thanks, I know the specs differences but want to know is there a (big) difference in real life performance to justify almost x2 price tag.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I know the specs differences but want to know is there a (big) difference in real life performance to justify almost x2 price tag.
    I paid $56 shipped for a Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced on Ebay and you can too. I paid $38 shipped for a standard model. For me, the $18 extra was worth it. For my wife, the standard tire is plenty of grip for her use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    In Croatia advanced version is 69$ while standard model is 37.
    On Ebay with shipping to Croatia it is even more expensive.

mtbr member
    I probably would use the standard tire in that case.

mtbr member
    Any info on the actual width of the 2.25" advanced and 2.35" advanced reinforced models?

Save Jesus
    For those of you that like the Wild Grip'r, what dirt conditions are you riding in?

My conditions are hardpack with a thin layer of dust or gravel on top. In these conditions, the Wild Grip'r does not have as much grip as my Bonty XR4. I was hoping that this condition would be an "easy" one, where a tire can have as much grip, but less rolling resistance. Oh well. I don't claim to understand tire grip dynamics, but I think the Wild Grip'r just doesn't put enough knobs down.

May contain nuts
    How wide is your rim? (can't believe I just said that). Maybe your rim is too narrow for the edge knobs to stand up properly? I'm using them on 29er Flows, on everything from mud to tar seal and they perform very well - lighter than an Ardent 2.4 but with more grip.

Save Jesus
    23mm internal

mtbr member
    For those of you that like the Wild Grip'r, what dirt conditions are you riding in?

My conditions are hardpack with a thin layer of dust or gravel on top. In these conditions, the Wild Grip'r does not have as much grip as my Bonty XR4. I was hoping that this condition would be an "easy" one, where a tire can have as much grip, but less rolling resistance. Oh well. I don't claim to understand tire grip dynamics, but I think the Wild Grip'r just doesn't put enough knobs down.
    I run the 26 x 2.25 Advanced version. I run them tubeless on 819 UST rims. I am close to 200 lbs and run 33-30 lbs front and rear (I set it using a Slime digital gauge - don't know how accurate this is but I like this setting).

The trail conditions are varied. Some are hard packed soil with lots of rocks and roots, while others are soft, loamy and smooth. Grip has not been an issue for me. Much better than a MKII UST I ran for about a month and equal to a MK 1 I ran before the Michelins. Have you tried playing with the air pressure?

mtbr member
    I run the same tire, 26x2.25 Advanced, on a Mavic Crossmax ST which is a very similar rim to the 819, both are 19mm and stiff. I'm 180 pounds geared up and use 26 psi in the front, and currently I'm running a Ground Control 2.3 at 28psi rear, tubeless.

After it's fried in another ~200 miles I will be using a Wild Race'R 26x2.25 Advanced rear tire. I debated a lot about what I want/need and decided to try the Race'R. I also considered using a Grip'R in the 'speed' direction rather than reversed.

Local trails are hardpack with roots and rocks, and nearly always dry. There can be small patches of sandy soil, but it's infrequently encountered. There is some loose over hardpack, usually limestone gravel, but it's also infrequent on trails.

So, that's why I have typically used fast hardpack tires. I came to the Wild Grip'R out of a desire for a meaty front tire that still rolled well, because I don't like the little hardpack tires in rock gardens.

In my limited context, the Wild Grip'R definitely has the most bite of any front tire I've used. Other tires I've had up front with nowhere near as much cornering grip on hardpack, roots and rocks: Ground Control 2.3 (like it MUCH better on the rear), Crossmark LUST 2.1, Saguaro TNT 2.2, Rocket Ron 2.25 Evo.

I dig trails!
    The Grip'R is designed and advertised as an all around tire. Which mean you can get good results for running it on the valley hardpack trails and good results in the soft terrain Sierra.

But that also means it will not be great at both.

Especially now, when there is a fine layer of dust over hard pack - the most technical time of the season for hard pack (Auburn and other valley trails) The only tires that are great at dust over hard are densely knobbed tires with lots of sipes - cutting into the dust to put a lot of rubber on the trail. The Racer'r is a much better tool for the job.

P

Save Jesus
    Have you tried playing with the air pressure?
    Yes, from about 23 down to 18 or so. I only weigh 145.

mtbr member
    Yes, from about 23 down to 18 or so. I only weigh 145.
    It may come down to the fact, that the tire is just not for you. Tires are a subjective thing and it could be that the XR4's are the tire for you. Nothing wrong with that. The XR4's sound like a good tire, I may give them a shot next time as well! (:

Save Jesus
    Minor update:
    I tried the XR4 again. Yup, it has more cornering "confidence". I don't outright say grip because maybe the WG only "feels" skittish. Then I tried out an XR3, which is like XR4 Lite, with smaller and lower knobs. It does roll faster and seems to grip with as much confidence. So for me it is settled which tire to use for my hardpack conditions. Lots of transition knobs FTW.

Maybe the WG is better up in the hills where the spare knob pattern can poke thru leaves and stuff. Dunno.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ran both these and the Maxxis High roller II's. I have only been able to find a couple of people so far that have on the forums with my searches so far. Now that these are available in the 650B/27.5 sizes, I might try a set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    Has anyone ran both these and the Maxxis High roller II's. I have only been able to find a couple of people so far that have on the forums with my searches so far. Now that these are available in the 650B/27.5 sizes, I might try a set.
    I've only run a dual ply HR2 3C on the back of my DH bike. It broke decently, but the new side knobs can fold over when you're really pushing it in hard corners. I've been running the 2.35 Advanced versions of the Grip'r 2 on my AM bike since spring. The tread is more aggressive then the 2.25 and the sidewall is considerably thicker/stiffer. Overall they're very "surfy" feeling; they drift very predictably, even more so then DHFs, but without as much outright cornering grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    I have actually. I had a 26 X 2.3 with the exo sidewalls. I also ran that tubeless. Great tire with phenomenal grip. The exo sidewall lives up the the hype. It is strong and gives lots of confidence running through rocks. With a 2.4 Advantage up front and the Highroller in back, I could climb almost anything my legs had the strength for. The negative was the weight, the high rolling resistance, the narrowness of the tire and the high rolling resistance. Yes, I mentioned it twice. The WG is just so much faster with a slight loss of grip that just could not stand the HR anymore. The WG works better in our of the saddle climbs as well, which I liked.

mtbr member
    Vespasianus, do you run the WG reversed or standard orientation on the rear? I'm sure it rolls faster in standard orientation, and probably corners better too, looking at the lugs.

But it won't have squared edges for climbing unless you run it reversed.

mtbr member
    Vespasianus, do you run the WG reversed or standard orientation on the rear? I'm sure it rolls faster in standard orientation, and probably corners better too, looking at the lugs.

But it won't have squared edges for climbing unless you run it reversed.
    I originally ran the rear in the "front direction". I did this mainly as Craig on the Titus boards had done this and had good results. I tore the sidewall of that tire and had another WG advanced I put on and ran it in the correct "rear direction". Surprisingly, the tire rolled as fast and had the same, if not more, traction. I had moved to a MK II for a while as I tore the sidewall again but have gone back to the WG and am running it in the correct "rear" direction again.

The key I find with this tire is pressure. Too much pressure and I am sliding all over the place. Too little and it feels crappy. Get it right and it is the best overall tire that I have ridden.

mtbr member
    I originally ran the rear in the "front direction". I did this mainly as Craig on the Titus boards had done this and had good results. I tore the sidewall of that tire and had another WG advanced I put on and ran it in the correct "rear direction". Surprisingly, the tire rolled as fast and had the same, if not more, traction. I had moved to a MK II for a while as I tore the sidewall again but have gone back to the WG and am running it in the correct "rear" direction again.
    I see. Were the torn sidewalls all the advanced models, or any standard? The standard is a little heavier and the casing is fewer TPI, but when I subjectively compared the standard and advanced I didn't really think that the standard was any tougher, or thicker carcass.

mtbr member
    I see. Were the torn sidewalls all the advanced models, or any standard? The standard is a little heavier and the casing is fewer TPI, but when I subjectively compared the standard and advanced I didn't really think that the standard was any tougher, or thicker carcass.
    No, they were both Advanced models and they only happen in one particular rocky park. In fact, I will only ride there with straight UST tires. I have ripped exo sidewall there as well.

mtbr member
    I've only run a dual ply HR2 3C on the back of my DH bike. It broke decently, but the new side knobs can fold over when you're really pushing it in hard corners. I've been running the 2.35 Advanced versions of the Grip'r 2 on my AM bike since spring. The tread is more aggressive then the 2.25 and the sidewall is considerably thicker/stiffer. Overall they're very "surfy" feeling; they drift very predictably, even more so then DHFs, but without as much outright cornering grip.
    I have actually. I had a 26 X 2.3 with the exo sidewalls. I also ran that tubeless. Great tire with phenomenal grip. The exo sidewall lives up the the hype. It is strong and gives lots of confidence running through rocks. With a 2.4 Advantage up front and the Highroller in back, I could climb almost anything my legs had the strength for. The negative was the weight, the high rolling resistance, the narrowness of the tire and the high rolling resistance. Yes, I mentioned it twice. The WG is just so much faster with a slight loss of grip that just could not stand the HR anymore. The WG works better in our of the saddle climbs as well, which I liked.
    Thank you both for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a pair of WG Advanced 2.35 for my 27.5/650B bike. I'm hoping for a little more durability then my Schwalbe Nobby Nic's. Schwalbe HD's were on the list, but too many reports of ripped side lugs. The WG's will be on for my next ride, so I'll report after I get some time on them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Just a heads up that chain reaction has the non advanced wild grip'r 2 tires for $26 each right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7