Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 142
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YETI_NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64

    Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 updates anyone?

    Just wanted to get some feedback/opinions from anyone that has some rides on the new Michelin Wild Grip'r 2 tires that came out this summer?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Im using the advanced version and absolutely love mine, no complaints. I use one on the front tire only. I find them very predictable in loose sand/dirt.

    I went to them after using Xking SS with black chili (one ride would leave me with shredded/torn knobs off).. but thats a whole different thread

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YETI_NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    Im using the advanced version and absolutely love mine, no complaints. I use one on the front tire only. I find them very predictable in loose sand/dirt.

    I went to them after using Xking SS with black chili (one ride would leave me with shredded/torn knobs off).. but thats a whole different thread
    Thanks for the info. Have you tried them on wet rocks and roots?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_NH View Post
    Thanks for the info. Have you tried them on wet rocks and roots?
    I havent had an problems with them on wet roots, cant comment on wet rocks since down here in Florida its almost all coral rocks, so even if theyre wet theyre sharp and abrasive...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    16
    A good tyre in front mount, i have one. "light" and resistant. very good on dry, not so bad in wet , but attention when it's slippy. sorry for my english.

  6. #6
    no trees are safe
    Reputation: Millfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    490
    Michelin Wild GripíR 2013 volume tread use?
    This might interest you. I have the non-advanced version.

    To my previous statements I may add that the tyre behaves predictably on hardpack and grips well on sand. After about hundred KM of mixed trail/road use the tyres look barely used. Its also good for dry terrain, where its swift and responsive.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Michelin Wild GripíR 2013 volume tread use?
    This might interest you. I have the non-advanced version.

    To my previous statements I may add that the tyre behaves predictably on hardpack and grips well on sand. After about hundred KM of mixed trail/road use the tyres look barely used. Its also good for dry terrain, where its swift and responsive.
    Are they still scary on wet roots?

  8. #8
    no trees are safe
    Reputation: Millfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    490
    I haven't ridden them on wet roots recently. I stayed off that track for some time now. Perhaps I'll check it out tomorow depending on the weather conditions. From what other people say though the Advanced version has a different compound that stick on wet roots pretty well.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    I haven't ridden them on wet roots recently. I stayed off that track for some time now. Perhaps I'll check it out tomorow depending on the weather conditions. From what other people say though the Advanced version has a different compound that stick on wet roots pretty well.
    Cool, I have a 26 X 2.25 Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced on order that I will use to replace a Continental MK II 2.4 Protection. The MK shed its lugs after basically 2 rides and 100 miles latter, is completely bald. Crazy. Will use this in the rear. If it works well, I may replace my Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo front tire, which weighs close to 900grams.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Cool, I have a 26 X 2.25 Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced on order that I will use to replace a Continental MK II 2.4 Protection. The MK shed its lugs after basically 2 rides and 100 miles latter, is completely bald. Crazy. Will use this in the rear. If it works well, I may replace my Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo front tire, which weighs close to 900grams.
    Have you tried contacting Continental to address the broken knobs/treads? I have heard from others that they were replacing them. Worth a shot I suppose....

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Have you tried contacting Continental to address the broken knobs/treads? I have heard from others that they were replacing them. Worth a shot I suppose....
    I didnt contact them, and I dont have any doubt they would be replaced.. but I dont believe its a defect issue. The tires are great at what they do. Theyre very soft and sticky. GREAT for a race, if youre getting new tires every race. Just not durable enough to use for multiple races/rides. Replacing them would be useless since the condition would simply occur again.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Have you tried contacting Continental to address the broken knobs/treads? I have heard from others that they were replacing them. Worth a shot I suppose....
    No, because I am an idiot, I purchased them "new" from ebay.

    The funny thing is I really like my old MK I tires. The had great grip and fantastic rolling resistance. The MK II's seem worse in both regards. Even without any knobs, the rolling resistance seems worse...

  13. #13
    no trees are safe
    Reputation: Millfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    490
    Continental stated that they had a defective batch and did replaced the tyres from that batch.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    Just got my Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced 2.25 mounted with tubes on 819 rims. No pics yet, but they look small. This is compared to the Continental MK II 2.4's that were there previously. Will get a ride in tomorrow morning and will report back. Will ride them with tubes before pulling them and adding some stans.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YETI_NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Just got my Wild Grip'r 2 Advanced 2.25 mounted with tubes on 819 rims. No pics yet, but they look small. This is compared to the Continental MK II 2.4's that were there previously. Will get a ride in tomorrow morning and will report back. Will ride them with tubes before pulling them and adding some stans.
    Can't wait for your report!!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    33
    Also considering these tires on 819 rims - awaiting your impressions.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    When I put these on, I was a little underwhelmed at their size. It just looks smaller than the MK II that I had on their previously. I run a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo up front, which is a HUGE tire so it makes the bike look a little funny. I was going to go straight to tubeless but wanted to get a ride in just to make sure I liked the tire. I ran the tire with close to 40 lbs of air, which is crazy high for me but was afraid of pinching so kept the pressure high.

    Ride this morning was pretty dry and heavily leaf covered. Some wet spots but nothing major. The tire itself is pretty darn good. Rolls a lot better than the MK II and grips a ton, both on dirt and rocks. Out of the saddle, the tires still hooked up and was a huge improvement over the MK II. The tire also took rocks and roots really well and really felt stable. I would not call the roots wet, more damp from the cold temps,but I got no slip when I hit them. All of this with way too much pressure and tubes no less. Overall, I am really impressed. Darn good tire.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: YETI_NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    When I put these on, I was a little underwhelmed at their size. It just looks smaller than the MK II that I had on their previously. I run a Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Exo up front, which is a HUGE tire so it makes the bike look a little funny. I was going to go straight to tubeless but wanted to get a ride in just to make sure I liked the tire. I ran the tire with close to 40 lbs of air, which is crazy high for me but was afraid of pinching so kept the pressure high.

    Ride this morning was pretty dry and heavily leaf covered. Some wet spots but nothing major. The tire itself is pretty darn good. Rolls a lot better than the MK II and grips a ton, both on dirt and rocks. Out of the saddle, the tires still hooked up and was a huge improvement over the MK II. The tire also took rocks and roots really well and really felt stable. I would not call the roots wet, more damp from the cold temps,but I got no slip when I hit them. All of this with way too much pressure and tubes no less. Overall, I am really impressed. Darn good tire.
    Good to hear. Im going to give the 29x2.25 a try.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    Pulled the tube this morning, added two cups of stans and pumped up to 40psi with a floor pump without much hassle. Had the "seat the bead" twice but that was it. Popped in nicely. See if it holds but feel good about getting these to work tubeless. This is on a 819 rim. Will be going for a ride tomorrow and will give another update.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    Yesterdays ride was wet. Morning fog put a a thin layer of water on all the rocks and such. Tire was good but not like a nevegal or a highroller in traction. Reduced the pressure to ~25 and worked well. Still impressed with this tire.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    52
    Any new thoughts or updates on this tire? I was thinking of trying the 26x2.25 advanced version. Thanks!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by driven916 View Post
    Any new thoughts or updates on this tire? I was thinking of trying the 26x2.25 advanced version. Thanks!
    Nothing really new to report. Good all around tire. Rolls fast, corners well, has good grip. Highly recommended. Easy to set up tubeless as well.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Nothing really new to report. Good all around tire. Rolls fast, corners well, has good grip. Highly recommended. Easy to set up tubeless as well.
    Thanks!

  24. #24
    no trees are safe
    Reputation: Millfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    490
    Also I might add that they behave very well on wet tarmac. Since the local trail are converted into a mudbath right now I've been using them for a bit of urban riding, and they behave very well in wet or dry conditions (Much better than continental MK II, Bontrager Jones XR or no-name semislicks).

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    52
    Thanks Millfox! Are you guys using them as both front and back tires?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •