mtbr member

Michelin Wild AM 29x2.35 (Official Thread)

Got one of these coming in the mail...

Looking for something outback on my AM HT, that has decent volume, clears mud ok & grips ok as well.

It'll be paired up with a Hans Dampf 2.35 Evo SS Tsc

Been bouncing between a Bontrager XR4 2.4 & Maxxis Forekaster 2.35 Exo.

The XR4 has good volume & rolls pretty ok, but lacks a little in the grip department. While the Forekaster lacks overall volume.

I'll post up my findings once it arrives & I've given it some trail time.

Stunt pics:

Last edited by targnik; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:59 PM.
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm watching this thread closely, looking for an alternative to my Butcher up front. Haven't heard much from actual users of Michelin's new Force and Wild offerings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverino View Post
    I'm watching this thread closely, looking for an alternative to my Butcher up front. Haven't heard much from actual users of Michelin's new Force and Wild offerings.
    From what I've heard/seen... the Wild AM, is more Trail-AM than full on All Mountain.

From my experience with Michelin tyres in the past, they provide good volume. Which is what I'm primarily after in a rear tyre on my AM HT 29er.

If it measures up true to size 58-59mm, it will provide solid grip. The large side knobs should keep you glued to the deck, when railing & leaned over.

Hopefully I haven't talked it up too much

Love new tyre day it's like Xmas morning... for those of us w/ a tyre fetish

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    Last edited by targnik; 5 Days Ago at 01:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Daverino View Post
    You can forget about the Force AM, I've ridden them and was rather disappointed. To me it's an XC tire more than anything else and doesn't belong in the same class as a Butcher, DHF, or other such tires. If you want a Butcher alternative look at the the Michelin Wild Rock'r2, yes it's heavy, but the grip is unreal and it's pretty much indestructible. If you want to corner so hard that your handlebars drag on the ground, the Wild Rock'r2 is the tire you need.

mtbr member
    Solid review here of the 27.5 tire in case you missed it: Michelin Wild AM 27.5" X 2.35"

Looking forward to your report as I'm really interested in this tire as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    You can forget about the Force AM, I've ridden them and was rather disappointed. To me it's an XC tire more than anything else and doesn't belong in the same class as a Butcher, DHF, or other such tires. If you want a Butcher alternative look at the the Michelin Wild Rock'r2, yes it's heavy, but the grip is unreal and it's pretty much indestructible. If you want to corner so hard that your handlebars drag on the ground, the Wild Rock'r2 is the tire you need.
    Wild Rock'R2 is my all time favourite tire, it turns your bike into a himalayan goat.
    It just sticks to rocks and roots like magic, even in the wet, as long as they don't get clogged with mud.

I'm really interested in the Force and Wild AM tires in 29" for my hardtail, to be used as a fast rolling trail setup.

mtbr member
    Tire arrived today

No scales sorry so can't confirm/deny weight claims...

In the hand, doesn't feel much heavier than my 2.35 Forekaster that I took off

It was a little tight, getting it on the rim. Not nearly as tight as one of it's cousins that I've run in the past i.e. Wild Race'R 2 - thing was a frikin nightmare to get on & off

@40 psi on a 22.5 ID rim (I know... my rims have shrunk!?) it blows up to 57mm and change, for the tread width

Guessing it'll stretch 1+mm over the next day or so... Should end up close to 59mm in width

Tread is definitely more closely spaced than the Forekaster that came off. So, it'll likely pack up quicker in the slop

But, tire has got the height/volume I'm after for my AM HT 29er

Ride report will have to wait for a few days, as it's raining cats & dogs here and the forecast for the rest of the week is crap

Pics:

Last edited by targnik; 5 Days Ago at 01:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Checked tire again this morning...

Sitting at a whisker over 58mm ^^

The more I look at it paired with the Hans Dampf up front, the more I like how they look as a combo.

Dirt will reveal the real truth o/c...

mtbr member
    Don't leave us hanging targnik! Inquiring minds want to know! Have you been out on some proper trails yet? Any additional feedback?

This tire really intrigues me. I ride hard, but I weigh about as much as a high school cheerleader, so I'm not really hard on my tires. A pair of sub 800 gram, grippy shoes would really liven up my 9er.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Don't leave us hanging targnik! Inquiring minds want to know! Have you been out on some proper trails yet? Any additional feedback?

This tire really intrigues me. I ride hard, but I weigh about as much as a high school cheerleader, so I'm not really hard on my tires. A pair of sub 800 gram, grippy shoes would really liven up my 9er.
    Think you need to check out another thread as this shoe is 800g+ (815g according to one reviewer - not sure on tolerances).

Be patient good things come to those that wait

mtbr member
    Had planned to ride my AM HT 29er w/ Wild AM on board...

But, my riding buds pulled rank & changed our ride venue.

DH was the order of the day (changed order), so I needed to defer to my 650b Enduro mule.

First ride impressions to come...