mtbr member

Maxxlite 310 tubeless: experiences ?

I just bought a pair of Maxxis Maxxlite 310 for my 12 year old daughter. I would like to go ghetto tubeless to lower weight and go low pressure. Does anybody have experience with these tyres tubeless? With such a low weight (310g), can the sidewalls hold well given that my daughter is less than 50kg (110lbs) ?

mtbr member
    Geoff Kabush runs the 310 and the lighter 285 tubeless using sealant, and he weighs a bit more than your daughter.

I have to ask, though, why Maxxlite 310's for your 12 year old daughter? Many pros have trouble cornering on a tire with such minimalistic tread. Have you looked at the Larsen TT's?
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    i think can remember reading that 310 and 330 both have very weak beads and some have had them blow off the rims. not something i would want anyone's daughter to go through.

i did use a 330 converted for a couple of races but the performance was not great.

your daughter is light, she can probably run very low pressure with tubes, most gals don't rid that rough either.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Very light, very fast and works well tubeless. They make zero noise on pavement and roll just like a road slick. Is your daughter an excellent rider? Bike handling skills are absolutely required, with this super-fast tire. All this speed and such comes at a steep price...utter lack of cornering ability and no off-camber grip whatsoever. Why don't you try riding on them FIRST before subjecting your poor girl on these racer-only tires?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member

Thanks for all this info

It is most helpful to know that they will most probably not blow off the rim without agressive riding.
    Now Why ? Because they are....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Very light, very fast and works well tubeless. They make zero noise on pavement and roll just like a road slick.
    So with these tyres it will be easier for her to keep up with me in the climbs so we can ride together which is cool ?

Is your daughter an excellent rider?
    No but she knows it and she does not take risks and we ride on easy trails for now.

Why don't you try riding on them FIRST before subjecting your poor girl on these racer-only tires?
    Because I am a clyde and they would not last very long.....Anyway I have bought them cheap off eBay and I'll give it a try while we still ride on easy trails (my daughter begins MTB) and I'll change for more aggressive tyres when she progresses.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I would have to say you need to put FAR more thought into this.

She's really not going to want to ride much once YOUR choice of tire has dumped her onto the ground (let's hope nothing got broken). At that age she will never keep up with you and you need simply to have ride days just to spend some time with her, not where she feels the need to go as fast as you do. Better to have a daughter who is stable and has years worth of interest in the sport than to put her at risk like you are.

Although your intentions are good- the reason you got your daughter a tire made for advanced/pro riders will quickly show, once she under-estimates the capabilities of this tire. I know I took many a fall, before learning the Maxxis 310 is a straight-ahead-only tire. She will definitely like the lack of rolling resistance, but this tire also performs poorly in mud, deep sand and is very sketchy on rocky surfaces. She would most likely fare much better with 2.0 Maxxis Larsen TTs as bholwell suggested. The 310 Maxxlite has a painful "learning curve" in my honest opinion.

mtbr member

oups..

Although your intentions are good- the reason you got your daughter a tire made for advanced/pro riders will quickly show, once she under-estimates the capabilities of this tire. I know I took many a fall, before learning the Maxxis 310 is a straight-ahead-only tire. She will definitely like the lack of rolling resistance, but this tire also performs poorly in mud, deep sand and is very sketchy on rocky surfaces. She would most likely fare much better with 2.0 Maxxis Larsen TTs as bholwell suggested. The 310 Maxxlite has a painful "learning curve" in my honest opinion.
    I missed some Karma L3R for 1/2 the price..... too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_syd
    I missed some Karma L3R for 1/2 the price..... too bad.

That's okay, use it as a rear tire only and maybe some other low rolling resistance tire on the front, like Maxxis High Roller or Kenda Small Block 8. A kid washing-out on a trail is NOT a fun or learning experience and is a 100% preventable occurrence.

mtbr member

Thanks

That's okay, use it as a rear tire only and maybe some other low rolling resistance tire on the front, like Maxxis High Roller or Kenda Small Block 8. A kid washing-out on a trail is NOT a fun or learning experience and is a 100% preventable occurrence.
    Will do that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    maxxis maxxlite 310 is it much better than maxxis detonator 26x1.5?

maxxlite 26x1.9 is at 310grams each tire, for the maxxis detonator 26x1.5 550grams each tire

I do xc road, flats and climbs, and some light trails off road.. maxxlite for the win?