mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Maxxis Xenith or Geax Evolution?

I am looking to get some slick tires for weekday workout rides around my hood before I hit the trails on the weekends. Up until this point I have kept my Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires on my bike and have been doing roughly 10-15 miles paved everyday figuring that it would be better to ride the same tires on pavement as dirt so that I'd become familiar with how my tires perform under any situation. Well this has led to my tires wearing extremely fast and the sidewalls shredding and me blowing 2 tubes in 2 days. I am now looking to train on slicks during the week and hit the fireroads with my dirt tires on weekends. I has a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, I like to bunny hop on and off curbs and take stairs etc..... but also do grueling climbs as if I was riding a road bike. I am looking at the Maxxis Xenith, but I am worried I might blow tubes from hopping on and off curbs all the time. The Geax Evolution seems like the much more durable tire but at 800 grams a piece they weight more than my Panaracers. However I have heard they roll pretty well for a heavy tire. But will it be able to hang on steep paved climbs? Any thoughts?
    '05 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    anyone?
    '05 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert

mtbr member

GEAX Roadster

I am not familiar with the Maxxis Zenith. But I recently purchased GEAX Roadsters for road tires. They are lighter than the GEAX Evolution at 650 gms and seem to be well made and durable. I had problems with flats from bits of glass while riding my hardtail around my neighborhood with my Specialized Hemisphere EX tires (non-armadillo, "flak jacket" version). The GEAX Roadster has alot of kevlar reinforced rubber on an inverted tread pattern, which makes it kind of a semi-slick tire. Their thinner (1.5 vs. 1.95) but weigh the same as my old Spec Hemisphere EXs. I have rode over quite a bit of glass since I got my GEAX Roadsters with no flats. I do a bit of curb jumping and so far they perform very well.

Who is John Galt?
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by edIT
    I am looking to get some slick tires for weekday workout rides around my hood before I hit the trails on the weekends. Up until this point I have kept my Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires on my bike and have been doing roughly 10-15 miles paved everyday figuring that it would be better to ride the same tires on pavement as dirt so that I'd become familiar with how my tires perform under any situation. Well this has led to my tires wearing extremely fast and the sidewalls shredding and me blowing 2 tubes in 2 days. I am now looking to train on slicks during the week and hit the fireroads with my dirt tires on weekends. I has a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, I like to bunny hop on and off curbs and take stairs etc..... but also do grueling climbs as if I was riding a road bike. I am looking at the Maxxis Xenith, but I am worried I might blow tubes from hopping on and off curbs all the time. The Geax Evolution seems like the much more durable tire but at 800 grams a piece they weight more than my Panaracers. However I have heard they roll pretty well for a heavy tire. But will it be able to hang on steep paved climbs? Any thoughts?

I ride Xeniths on my XC hardtail. I ride maybe 75% of the time on the road and these tires are wonderful. They roll fast and wear very well. I've got about 400miles on my current set right now and the "skin" on the tire is just starting to wear....that's good wear in my book, they should have another 1000miles+ in them. There are slicks out there that are narrower and lighter but the Xeniths seem to be a good mix between grip/rolling resistance and durability.

A few words of caution though...the xeniths are meant to be a road training tire for XC racers. They aren't an urban assault slick. I've hopped down a few curbs here and there but I don't make a habit of it (it's not my thing and these few cases where avoiding something else). They are a fairly lightweight tire and aren't going to take big impacts or repeated abuse down stairs and the like.

Also the Xenith is a full slick, not one ounce of tread on them at all...which means if there is even the slightest chance you will be on any other surface than paved....you are royally screwed (i.e. wet grass...is like ice)....so if you ride somewhere where you need to ride on non-paved surfaces for even a tiny bit these tires won't work.

Surprisingly these tires are fairly good in rain. They maintain as good of a grip as they can and alot better than I expected a full slick to. The more rain the better as well. They do get iffy on damp surfaces, you know those early mornings or late nights with fog where the road surface is just a little bit "greasy"....they are scary on those.

The other thing I like about them is that they are 1.5s. For knobbys I mainly ride 1.9-2.0 (crossmaxs, Larsen TTs, Rancheros) and in a pinch I can get away with the same tube in both (though you SHOULD buy 1.25-1.5 tubes for these tires) and also run the same rims with no worries.

All in all I like these tires alot, then again I'm a big fan of Maxxis tires and ride them exclusively.

I have no experience with the other tires you mentioned.

Gravity hurts
    I'm trying to find some Geax Evolution tires, but so far everwhere I've searched is out. Anybody know somebody that has them in stock?

Gravity hurts
    I finally found some Evolutions and know where 3 more are located. I've had them on my bike for about 2 weeks and am very happy with them so far. They do extrememly well on the road and really very good on trails. I haven't had a chance to try them out on any trail hills, but I think there could be some down hill braking issues. The rear tire seems to slide a lot under braking on the road, but not enough that it would be an issue.