Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maxxis "Ultra-Light" Tubes = "Super-Thin"?

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  lebikerboy 
#1 ·
I just received an order I placed with Red Barn. I ordered Maxxis Ultralight tubes. I received tubes labeled Super-Thin in boxes labeled Ultra-Light. :skep: Are these the same tubes? I am thinking of returning the tubes - especially since everything else I ordered was wrong - (Thompson seatpost - wrong size, NOB computer mount - wrong size, Hope seat clamp - wrong color).

I did have a good shopping experience with Mountain High Cyclery. Just received a custom wheelset (Hope Pro2 hubs, DT 4.2d rims and supercomp spokes). The wheels look nice, it looks like Larry did a nice job. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though - I was waiting for these tubes to arrive from Red Barn. :rolleyes: Guess I will resort to whatever is in stock at the lbs.

#6 ·
Correct tubes were delivered

allandavid said:
What I meant was that the tube is labeled SUPER-THIN and what I ordered is called ULTRA-LIGHT. I just what to know if the two names are one in the same.
I had a Maxxis Flyweight tube (the lightest, thinest tube Maxxis makes) in my parts bin so I checked what was written on the tube. The Maxxis logo, the size of the tube, and 0.45 (the thickness of the tube) was the only thing written on it. "Super-thin" was not written on the tube.

I have purchased other standard ultralightweight tubes (either from Specialized or Performance, I can't recall) where I for sure remember reading "super-thin" on the tubes. This leads me to believe that all tubes are made at the same factory. Anyway, if you're still worried that you got the Flyweight tubes by mistake, just weigh your tubes. The Flyweights will check in at around 100 grams while the standard ultralights will be around 130 grams.

#7 ·
hkmeup said:
I The Flyweights will check in at around 100 grams while the standard ultralights will be around 130 grams.
I measured the tubes at 120 grams each. I suspect they are the Ultra Lights, or close to what the Ultra Lights should be. I am just a little heistant using a tube without knowing exactly which one it is. To me the Ultra Lights seem like a good compromise between being lightweight and not too thin, unlike the Flyweights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.