mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Maxxis Tire Failure

I have about 4 rides on a new Ardent Race EXO and today it lost air rather quickly on a rocky descent. Also kinda surprised I didn't damage the rim because I came down hard and felt a rock hit.

It was leaking at the bead but no apparent tire damage. I removed it and attempted to reseal but it was just spraying air at the bead near the "WARNING" text. I shifted the tire on the rim and same thing, spraying air in the same location on the tire. Then I mounted an older Maxxis and it sealed instantly. I can't see any damage on the bead either.

Any ideas? Does this sound like something Maxxis would warranty?

I was running about 20psi, this is a 2.35 tire and in general I've never had a tire fail like this and have been running Maxxis tires for 3000+ mtb miles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoise View Post
    I have about 4 rides on a new Ardent Race EXO and today it lost air rather quickly on a rocky descent. Also kinda surprised I didn't damage the rim because I came down hard and felt a rock hit.

It was leaking at the bead but no apparent tire damage. I removed it and attempted to reseal but it was just spraying air at the bead near the "WARNING" text. I shifted the tire on the rim and same thing, spraying air in the same location on the tire. Then I mounted an older Maxxis and it sealed instantly. I can't see any damage on the bead either.

Any ideas? Does this sound like something Maxxis would warranty?

I was running about 20psi, this is a 2.35 tire and in general I've never had a tire fail like this and have been running Maxxis tires for 3000+ mtb miles.
    Call Maxxis and don't be rude. Explain what happened and that you are a loyal customer. You never know what they will do.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    Just to be clear, it sealed up find during install but at a random time during the ride it began leaking between the bead and tape at a specific point on the bead? And there is nothing visually different about that spot on the bead?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Just to be clear, it sealed up find during install but at a random time during the ride it began leaking between the bead and tape at a specific point on the bead? And there is nothing visually different about that spot on the bead?
    Yes, sealed perfectly about a month ago.

Today it failed on descent. Was unable to reseal it with fresh sealant. Gushes air at the bead (not a tape issue).

I mounted and older tire which mounted fast and sealed perfectly so the wheel is fine

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Call Maxxis and don't be rude. Explain what happened and that you are a loyal customer. You never know what they will do.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    I may talk to my bike shop and see if they can warranty. I don't want to be petty but this tire is practically new and at $80 expect a bit more life

mtbr member
    Yes, sealed perfectly about a month ago.

Today it failed on descent. Was unable to reseal it with fresh sealant. Gushes air at the bead.
    There should be some defect you can see or feel then.

mtbr member
    I had that challenge with a Minion FBF. It was sitting in the garage and hanging up on the wall, I came into the garage I found it like that, off the rim. I tried several attempts but it blew off the rim at a few pounds of air. I never ran it below 11 pounds or had any mishap with it; I only use the fatbike in the winter so it was was sitting 4 or 5 months before it happened really odd. It was an OEM tire but less than a year old and BikeWagon helped me out and took it back. They were really cool about it.

I'm with stupid
    I had a double down aggressor that I ran at 26 psi. for 3 weeks. then one day sitting in the living room all of a sudden massive boom and the tire had just blow of the wheel while I was watching tv. I think my dog has PTSD cause she is scared to walk by the bike. After the fact I could find nothing wrong with the tire and did not want to air it up again because that seemed dangerous. So, I just threw it out and chaulked it up to something happen on one of the rides.

MTB B'dos
    Hum, subscribing to this as have never experienced this with any Maxxis tyres and I've been using them for well over 10 years. I have had casings get knocked out of whack a bit easier than I'd expect when they were having casing issues a few years back, but never had one develop such a leak or just blow off the rim at such low pressures. Wondering if maybe they are having some QC issues now, as assuming these are new production tyres.

I'd definitely contact Maxxis and let them know, see what they say. Curious OP, are you sure you didn't loose some pressure before that DH and maybe did damage to the tyre without realising it? Have to ask as it just sounds really weird for it to happen just like that without there being clear damage to the tyre bead.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hum, subscribing to this as have never experienced this with any Maxxis tyres and I've been using them for well over 10 years. I have had casings get knocked out of whack a bit easier than I'd expect when they were having casing issues a few years back, but never had one develop such a leak or just blow off the rim at such low pressures. Wondering if maybe they are having some QC issues now, as assuming these are new production tyres.

I'd definitely contact Maxxis and let them know, see what they say. Curious OP, are you sure you didn't loose some pressure before that DH and maybe did damage to the tyre without realising it? Have to ask as it just sounds really weird for it to happen just like that without there being clear damage to the tyre bead.
    I've had nothing but great experience with Maxxis as well. I know I hit a rock but I don't know if that was the cause or the effect of losing air. It's entirely possible that it burped but two things:

1 I couldn't have hit it too hard since the rim (carbon) did not chip.
    2. I can't feel or see any damage on the tire where it is leaking

mtbr member
    I had a similar experience earlier this summer ... after the tire bottomed out (nothing violent, just felt rim touching rock). Nothing would seal the air leak, and I couldn't see any hole either. It seemed like it was coming from underneath the stitches at the bead/side-casing junction. I glued a patch on the inside of the tire to about where the leak was coming from. This fixed the problem (over 1 month of riding since then) ... touching wood.

Sometime, I feel the necessity to add some stiches using dental floss to reinforce the puncture area, but it this case, all seem to be ok without it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I had a double down aggressor that I ran at 26 psi. for 3 weeks. then one day sitting in the living room all of a sudden massive boom and the tire had just blow of the wheel while I was watching tv. I think my dog has PTSD cause she is scared to walk by the bike. After the fact I could find nothing wrong with the tire and did not want to air it up again because that seemed dangerous. So, I just threw it out and chaulked it up to something happen on one of the rides.
    I would at least contact Maxxis to see what they'll do for you. Their tires are way too expensive to only last 3 weeks. It's our duty to hold these companies accountable for their high-priced products.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Had a DD agress do same thing, defective/broken bead. You should have warrantied it, had to ship the defective one back to them but they seemed good about warrantying it.

https://www.maxxis.com/warranty/bicycle-warranty
    Last edited by In2falling; 1 Week Ago at 05:41 PM.

I'm with stupid
    I should have! I am running another one and just figured I hurt the first one out riding somehow. Even after that and a few other knocking them into a wobble and a pinch flat or two I still run Maxxis tires. Just DD front and rear with Cushcore. I tend to be hard on wheels and tires. Kinda plow with wreckless abandon as my friend calls it. So i figured that sh!t happens and i will just buy another and move on. But IF it ever happens again I will make sure I get a warranty.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Has a DD agress do same thing, damaged/broken bead. You should have warrantied it, had to ship the damaged one back to them but they seemed good about warrantying it.

https://www.maxxis.com/warranty/bicycle-warranty
    So you're suggesting companies warranty items damaged by the user? Neato. That's why stuff costs so much (ok, that's part of it). smh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    So you're suggesting companies warranty items damaged by the user? Neato. That's why stuff costs so much (ok, that's part of it). smh
    Fixed it for you.

B.Ike
    Your rim can puncture/damage the tire at the bead with a hard rim strike. Usually there's two punctures. Sounds like user error (not enough air/tire/finess for the particular trail).

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Reminds me of the "carbon rim failure" thread recently...

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    It's early and I haven't had coffee yet, but I'm a bit perplexed. Usually when someone "fixes" something, there's some sort of...I don't know...change? I don't think words mean what you think they mean.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    Your rim can puncture/damage the tire at the bead with a hard rim strike. Usually there's two punctures. Sounds like user error (not enough air/tire/finess for the particular trail).
    Last time I did it, only the puncture along the bead wouldn't seal. There was no way to make that seal on the trail short of a side-of-bacon plug. We had and tried an extra bottle of sealant. It would seal for a while, then let go and blow out all the air.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

B.Ike
    ^^I've done it twice this year...Have had good luck with after ride repair using super glue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I couldn't see this originally but yeah it's punctured near the bead. Ok so ran pressure too low and probably pinched it. Got it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Tire Failure-screen-shot-2018-10-13-10.29.55-am.jpg  

SPECIALizED
    I couldn't see this originally but yeah it's punctured near the bead. Ok so ran pressure too low and probably pinched it. Got it
    I did the same thing on the same tire. Repaired it with a slice of bacon when I got home and rode it until it wore out.

MTB B'dos
    Yup, did that to 3 different Maxxis tyres when I switched to an i29 rear rim, think all in the same spot or there abouts on the same trail, switched back to an i25 and haven't had it happen since. Maybe I was running a bit too low pressures and bottoming out on the rim, not sure, but it was 3 different tyres, a Forekaster, DHR2 and MinionSS, all EXO casing. I personal thought it was more because the casing was further out and more exposed, hence getting snagged.cut on a piece of rock or something. Never could get them to hold tubeless with patches, never did try a plug, might give that a go and see if it works.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

I'm with stupid
    Got another wobbly casing Maxxis Maxx grip EXO DHF. slapped it on the night before leaving to moab. Went ahead and rode it for the weekend, not I need to go to LBS and see if they can call maxxis and see if I can get a warranty. It has some very strange wear as well like air bubbles in the rubber from the mold. I have perfectly round craters in the center of about 5 lugs.