Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Maxxis Rekon Plus.... SilkShield???

Anyone running the SilkShield version? I am running the 60 TPI standard EXO version on rocky trails and still getting cuts/abrasions which are deep enough that the sealant can be seen seeping all over the tire. Wondering if the SilkShield version is more bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Hi Uly, the SilkShield layer is taken from our road tire lineup, offering bead-to-bead puncture protection. In the EXO/SilkShield build on the Rekon, the two layers work together to provide better support at lower pressure as well as increased bottom-out protection, reducing tire cuts.

If you wanted to compare it to our standard MTB tires, the EXO/SilkShield construction is a midpoint between an EXO tire and a DoubleDown tire in terms of weight increase and protection.

Many of our riders and OE partners are beginning to use the reinforced EXO/SilkShield Rekon+ in the rear with a standard EXO tire in the front. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxisTires View Post
    Hi Uly, the SilkShield layer is taken from our road tire lineup, offering bead-to-bead puncture protection. In the EXO/SilkShield build on the Rekon, the two layers work together to provide better support at lower pressure as well as increased bottom-out protection, reducing tire cuts.

If you wanted to compare it to our standard MTB tires, the EXO/SilkShield construction is a midpoint between an EXO tire and a DoubleDown tire in terms of weight increase and protection.

Many of our riders and OE partners are beginning to use the reinforced EXO/SilkShield Rekon+ in the rear with a standard EXO tire in the front. Please let us know if you have any other questions.
    Good news! Thanks for the info. I've got one on order. The Rekon is a great tire!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    Good news! Thanks for the info. I've got one on order. The Rekon is a great tire!
    So how did the tyre go? I want to drop some weight in the rear and am considering this as an option. I have the same issues as you with EXO tyres, they don't survive one ride.

I have found Schwalbe Super Gravity to be the lightest strongest option so far....

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jah0073 View Post
    So how did the tyre go? I want to drop some weight in the rear and am considering this as an option. I have the same issues as you with EXO tyres, they don't survive one ride.

I have found Schwalbe Super Gravity to be the lightest strongest option so far....
    The SS Rekon is a tougher tire. I ran it through the same granite rock gardens the non-SS version had issues with. It still got a few micro cuts that you could visibly see the sealant seeping from. But no where near as many as the non-SS version. I did not have trouble with the extra 80 or so grams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly View Post
    If you wanted to compare it to our standard MTB tires, the EXO/SilkShield construction is a midpoint between an EXO tire and a DoubleDowntire in terms of weight increase and protection.
    I am curious if the SS version is only 1.2% more resilient than the EXO as that is the percentage difference in weight? Or it is substantially more? does Maxxis tires know? Guess I will get one and see if it survives a day...