Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Maxxis Minions DHR II 2.3 true to size?

I'm looking to run this on the back of my bike:Universal Cycles -- Maxxis Minion DHR II EXO Tubeless Ready Tire

It's their "all-mountain/enduro" version of the DH model. Historically, Maxxis tire sizes have been all wonky. Does anyone know if this is a true 2.3 or closer to a 2.1?
    Thanks.

Bike's hmmm nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merijn101 View Post
    Dammit...

mtbr member
    Maxxis tires always run small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Not anymore, advantage, DHR II, HR II are pretty up to size. Look at the ETRTO sizing, it gives good hints:

DHR 2.35: 52mm (2.05 in.)
    DHR II 2.3: 58mm (2.28 in. -> 25% volume increase).

mtbr member
    You really shouldn't talk about things you have no idea of.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Maxxis tires always run small.
    No, they don't.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    I'm looking to run this on the back of my bike:Universal Cycles -- Maxxis Minion DHR II EXO Tubeless Ready Tire

It's their "all-mountain/enduro" version of the DH model. Historically, Maxxis tire sizes have been all wonky. Does anyone know if this is a true 2.3 or closer to a 2.1?
    Thanks.
    I designed and developed nearly every Maxxis bicycle tire over the last 5 years. Every one is 'true to size'. Of course, there will be some variation due to rim width, inflation pressure, etc. And be sure to let the casing grow for a few days before measuring.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    I designed and developed nearly every Maxxis bicycle tire over the last 5 years. Every one is 'true to size'. Of course, there will be some variation due to rim width, inflation pressure, etc. And be sure to let the casing grow for a few days before measuring.
    You've done a great job and the MTB community thanks you!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    No, they don't.
    Theres a ton of treads here, with a ton of people who run maxxis tires claiming they run small. If you dont want them to be comparatively small and you design them, why dont you make them larger?

mtbr member
    How about doing some research and refraining from taking for gospel everything you read on these forums?

The old Maxxis tires are undersized. The newer stuff is 'true to size'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    You've done a great job and the MTB community thanks you!
    Thanks, man!

Bike's hmmm nice

Thanks bhobwell for your well thought of advice...... My maxxis minion 2.3 that i have in my shed and that has been on my bike for 6 month is the exact same size as the numerous 2.1 schwalbe tires that are the same shed.... It might be that i do know something about maxxis minion tires.....

Bike's hmmm nice

Thanks for cranking up the size though. I bought the 2.3's as an enduro tire because i love the 2.5 so much. I was just highly disappointed with the size.....

mtbr member
    Thanks bhobwell for your well thought of advice...... My maxxis minion 2.3 that i have in my shed and that has been on my bike for 6 month is the exact same size as the numerous 2.1 schwalbe tires that are the same shed.... It might be that i do know something about maxxis minion tires.....
    What tire are you referring to, exactly? And you measured it using calipers on what rim at what inflation pressure?

Bike's hmmm nice
    bholwell, please don't bad rep for stuff like this... makes you a bit uncool.... Although you should be cool as the Minion designer.

I must admit my mistake: I missed the II in the minion description of the OP. I had the "old" 2.35 minion on a DT Swiss EX500 rim at 1.9 bar (EU setting) with tube. It looked very skinny to me. Took some calipers out and matched it to some Schwalbe 2.1 I had on my xc bike.

If you designed the new Minions to be true to size, I might give them an other try. Just be a bit more positive in your reply's next time.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

bholwell, please don't bad rep for stuff like this... makes you a bit uncool.... Although you should be cool as the Minion designer.

I must admit my mistake: I missed the II in the minion description of the OP. I had the "old" 2.35 minion on a DT Swiss EX500 rim at 1.9 bar (EU setting) with tube. It looked very skinny to me. Took some calipers out and matched it to some Schwalbe 2.1 I had on my xc bike.

If you designed the new Minions to be true to size, I might give them an other try. Just be a bit more positive in your reply's next time.
    Correcting misinformation is very appropriate and not negative. Being blunt gets the point through better than handholding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Thanks.
    True to size and mates with a Minion DHF 2.5 nicely when used as a rear tire or front to back. I really dig this tire, especially since it is tubeless ready and seals and holds much better than standard Maxxis single-ply (EXO, wire, etc) and the tire has excellent cornering/stability and braking control. The only quiver is that it begs for conditions to dig and bite into (loam and loose) as it rolls fairly slow on anything else despite it's really modest weight.
    Ride On!

Bike's hmmm nice
    I disagree, he was not correcting misinfo. He was just slapping my wrist. Uncool, but mostly not useful to the OP.

Correcting in an efficient way:
    Old were 2.1, new and improved is now truly 2.35. Go out and buy them.

But whateverrrrrrrr It's weekend up here! Wife is out riding, kids are in bed. Time for a beer. Cheers!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I disagree, he was not correcting misinfo. He was just slapping my wrist. Uncool, but mostly not useful to the OP.

Correcting in an efficient way:
    Old were 2.1, new and improved is now truly 2.35. Go out and buy them.

But whateverrrrrrrr It's weekend up here! Wife is out riding, kids are in bed. Time for a beer. Cheers!
    When you tell the guy that was responsible for producing the tires he is wrong, I think he has the right to b****-slap you. Hard.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I disagree, he was not correcting misinfo. He was just slapping my wrist. Uncool, but mostly not useful to the OP
    Hey man, I'm sorry I publicly slapped your wrist. Perhaps you're right; probably pretty uncool of me.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people post misinformation, particularly when it's regarding a product I designed and developed. But yours was an honest mistake, and that's forgivable. One Pivot, however, was simply spreading false info blindly, and that's much worse.

mtbr member
    Hey man, I'm sorry I publicly slapped your wrist. Perhaps you're right; probably pretty uncool of me.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people post misinformation, particularly when it's regarding a product I designed and developed. But yours was an honest mistake, and that's forgivable. One Pivot, however, was simply spreading false info blindly, and that's much worse.
    The problem is that people may not know when a tire was designed. Old, smaller tires are still in production so you can't blame people for having the wrong impression.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    True to size and mates with a Minion DHF 2.5 nicely when used as a rear tire or front to back. I really dig this tire, especially since it is tubeless ready and seals and holds much better than standard Maxxis single-ply (EXO, wire, etc) and the tire has excellent cornering/stability and braking control. The only quiver is that it begs for conditions to dig and bite into (loam and loose) as it rolls fairly slow on anything else despite it's really modest weight.
    Ok. Good to hear. I will have it here by Tuesday and will reply here for reference. Running it the rear with a Specialized Butcher SX 2.3 up front. I wish they would release a tubeless ready Minion DHF 2.5 so I could run that up front but right now I'm liking the butcher. Right now, here in Utah, we have mostly loose soil so I'm not too concerned with a bit of drag as long as I can get it to bite in on the downs. Thnaks for the input!

mtbr member
    I wish they would release a tubeless ready Minion DHF 2.5 so I could run that up front but right now I'm liking the butcher.
    Just saw that they available on their e-store. Good news. I will have to wait until the Butcher wears out to switch back over. Probably not until next season.

mtbr member
    So while we are on the subject of tires sizes, my DH rig needs some new 2 plys. I want to try out a Highroller II 2.4 in the back, mated with a DHF up front. So I'm just going to ask a blatant and maybe redundant question since the expert is reading this thread.

Are the new DHF's with the newer logos more true to size? So if I got a 2.5 DHF, I'd be good to go? Obviously just don't want the DHF to be smaller than the HR II in the back.

Thanks for the help!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast