Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Maxxis Minion dhf exo 2.5 question.

My friend told me to run the Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 2.5 (non UST) on my All Mountain bike. I have DT Swiss EX 500 tubeless compatible rims. I want to run these tires tubeless. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I have never run tubeless in the past and this is going to be my first tubeless setup. Would you consider this a "Ghetto Tubeless" setup? I have read accounts of ghetto tubeless setups getting bloody.
    Thanks,
    Unity

mtbr member
    I have used that tire tubeless on Stans rims without problems. Not sure about the DT rim. Great tire.

mtbr member
    The tire has a regular (i.e. non-UST) bead, and can blow off the rim under certain situations (like jumping and landing to flat, landing sideways, etc.)
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    The tire has a regular (i.e. non-UST) bead, and can blow off the rim under certain situations (like jumping and landing to flat, landing sideways, etc.)
    Is there a compatible tire that you would recommend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpcunity View Post
    Is there a compatible tire that you would recommend?
    Maxxis has some tubeless ready AM tires in the works, but who knows when they'll be available. In the meantime, take a look at Schwalbe's line. Many people are happy with the Hans Dampf. The Muddy Mary is also available in a folding single ply 'Freeride' option.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ran that same tire/rim combo both front and rear, also tubeless, 2 summers ago. The front would burp, but the rear never gave me any problems. I ran the front about 24-25psi and the rear about 28-29

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I haven't had any trouble running standard Maxxis tires tubeless, including minions. They seat and hold air nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason300b View Post
    I ran that same tire/rim combo both front and rear, also tubeless, 2 summers ago. The front would burp, but the rear never gave me any problems. I ran the front about 24-25psi and the rear about 28-29
    I ran the DHF exo on DT 5.1D rims (I think they're the precursor to the EX500) with Maxxis rimstrips and with ghetto tubeless conversion for about two years (two or three sets of tires).

Like jason300b I had a couple burping episodes in extreme sideload conditions on really grippy (granite/slickrock) surfaces in the front when I ran lower pressure using the rim strip but only when it was first installed. It seems like once it was well seated for a few weeks and I made sure I had at least 25-28lbs up front I never had another issue.

In the rear I never had any burping issues with either the rim strip or the ghetto setup running between 25-30 lbs mostly (sometimes less though).

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight. I'm just afraid of loosing total air pressure and crashing more that I do on my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I ran the DHF exo on... I had a couple burping episodes in extreme sideload conditions on really grippy).
    What he said.

I am going good except for one Burp on a weird major side hit. My fault really.

Stans strip on a Mavic 721. Good to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Havn't personally run that setup, but we (shop I work at) recommend that tire in tubeless setups all the time however it is mainly on Stan's or Frequency rims. More often than not we steer people away from DT rims as they are more difficult to build/seat/work with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ran that rim/tire combo with stans rubber strips with no burps for 4 months until I cut a sidewall. I ran 25 front and 28 in the back

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Yes

Ran those for a year tubeless on Flow rims with yellow tape. No burping or stability issues. I weigh 190 and ran 24/26 PSI on everything from super d races to bike parks. No problem. Best tire ever, still.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpcunity View Post
    My friend told me to run the Maxxis Minion DHF EXO 2.5 (non UST) on my All Mountain bike. I have DT Swiss EX 500 tubeless compatible rims. I want to run these tires tubeless. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I have never run tubeless in the past and this is going to be my first tubeless setup. Would you consider this a "Ghetto Tubeless" setup? I have read accounts of ghetto tubeless setups getting bloody.
    Thanks,
    Unity
    Hi, I am using DHF EXO on the front and the rear on DT SWISS 2200 2009 model and it has the rims you are talking about. I have been running this set up for about 2 years with pressure 21 up to 26 for the front and 23 psi up to 28 psi for the back and have 0 problems. By the way I did not see how old is this tread so by now you might be well on your way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have been burping or blowing the DHF off rim almost every ride.....Ordering new tires

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Huh. Never had an issue with mine. On Flow rims with yellow tape, low to mid 20's, 195lb rider, expert-ish from Whistler to Steven's Pass bike parks. Worked fine for me. Ran them for years.

beater

Quote Originally Posted by BOAT View Post
    I have been burping or blowing the DHF off rim almost every ride.....Ordering new tires
    The tire is only half the equation. What rim? Do other tires work tubeless for you?

I've had flawless experiences with TR DHFs and DHRs on Stan's rims, as have many of my friends.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sorry to resurrect the thread, but this tire sounds like an ideal choice for a front in dry SoCal riding conditions. I run tubeless now on my Turner 5.Spot with Frequency i23's. Sounds like guys with tubeless rims (Stan's/WTB Frequency) are running this 2.5 DHF just fine set-up tubeless with no burping??? Rear tire is definitely going Maxxis TR, prob 2.35 HRII or DHRII. Opinions please!

Slower But Faster
    I've been running them tubeless on Frequency i23's at 24 psi for over six months with no issues at all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    running tubeless on front of both easton haven alum and now carbon version with no issues ..220lbs..

Si vales, valeo.
    Quote Originally Posted by trojan08 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect the thread, but this tire sounds like an ideal choice for a front in dry SoCal riding conditions. I run tubeless now on my Turner 5.Spot with Frequency i23's. Sounds like guys with tubeless rims (Stan's/WTB Frequency) are running this 2.5 DHF just fine set-up tubeless with no burping??? Rear tire is definitely going Maxxis TR, prob 2.35 HRII or DHRII. Opinions please!
    I've run DHF/HR & DHF/HRII (front/rear) for years without any problems - best setup ever. Ghetto tubeless w/ various rims to boot.
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

beater

The TR casing on Stan's rims has been a great combination for me and my friends.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just tried to mount a 3C/EXO 2.5 DHF to a WTB Frequency i23 and completely failed. Did the typical Stans goop and air compressor deal. It didn't even begin to seat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Huh. Never had any issues with Flow rims.

mtbr member
    JFL, I had a similar experience. Went 2.5 DHF 3C/Exo up front, 2.3 HRII TR-casing out back; both on i23s. The DHF was a beast. Heart nearly exploded using a floor pump - fail. Standard air compressor - nope. Eventually took it to LBS and they removed my air valve core, bingo. Never really popped like my TR tires do as they're seating but so far so good. Kinda PITA process but if these tires are as good as people say they are, it'll be worth it. Interestingly the HRII (TR casing) seated super easy (less effort than WTB's TCS tires) with just a floor pump.

Had a few short easy rides on the tires and they feel awesome. Will be pushing these harder on tonight's ride. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast