mtbr member
    May 2009

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 ?

Is the 2.5 Minion much larger in volume & width than the Hans Dampf? I've read a couple things that the tire is not much wider than the 2.25 Ardent. If that's the case, I'll order. I don't need a true 2.5 sized tire so thought I'd ask before ordering. The HD is about as large as I want.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ok, I've read enough threads that it seems the 2.5 Minion is around the same width as a 2.35 & smaller than the HD. I think I'll give it a try..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think it is a taller tire but not as wide. Definitely not a true 2.5, much closer to a 2.35. Excellent tire!
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ordered so next week I'll have the DHF & an Ardent for the rear, both in EXO. I've run an Ardent before on the rear & liked it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That's the exact combo i have right now and it's been working great. The Ardent climbs and corners nicely in the rear.

Honestly the Ardent in the rear is good but i prefer the Highroller II for a rear tire, it has better braking (though my rear triangle won't fit it, so i gave up and ran the Ardent).

At any rate, we're talking the difference between an 'A+' tire combo and an 'A++' tire combo, so enjoy
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ended up chickening out on the Minion. I started thinking it's probably more tire than I need in terms of weight. I have a lot of climbing & no descents that I need a Downhill Specific tire for, unfortunately.

So, still trying to figure out a tire to replace my HD...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My understanding was that the Minion was originally created as a downhill tire, but they wound up making the casing lighter because so many people started using them for XC/AM (i ride somewhere in-between the two). For that reason you'll see the DH-F and the DH-F Downhill. But, it's still a pretty hefty tire (860g or so?). The Highroller II is another good tire in the same vein.

If you want to go lighter but still have a big tire you could check out the Ardent 2.4..
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Minion DHF 29x2.5 vs. Hans Damp vs. Ardent

Have both tires and here is what i see.
    The HD is a great tire and hooks up well in all situations, light and mine ran tubeless however the knobs started to tear off from the riding fast and leaning it into the turns. the outside knows tore about half way off and then the tire felt unstable on edge as you can imagine.
    The minion DHF exo 29x2.5 it is not as voluminous as the HD at a 2.35 and feels heavy I am going to run it anyway and pay the weight penalty for now. It has stronger rubber and the casing is significant. I have two but probably wont run them front and rear due to the weight. If I had a lift I'd do it for sure but since I like the climbing I just need to get stronger:P Great tire
    These tires are often compared and they are not alike at all. The HD is a little more all mountain than XC but the Minion is DH with a tiny bit of all mountain. It has twice the knob, sidewall and those 200 grams add up quick.
    Now that I think of it the HD is a bit bigger Ardent and that would be a good comparison. The HD is no Minion competitor.
    Last edited by DPeper; 08-16-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: last thougth

mtbr member
    2.3 HR II for the front Ardent for the rear, cracking combination