mtbr member

Good job! Maxxis Medusa or Medusa UST for Stans NoTubes?

Hi guys,

Im looking for a tire to run tubeless on my Mavic CrossRide 2010 rims with Stans NoTubes rim strips and sealant. For the rear I got a Bontrager Mud X tubeless ready. I want to get the Maxxis Medusa for up front, but not sure which version to get. I have three choices:

Medusa UST with LUST 2.1 120 TPI 665 g:
    Medusa 2.1 60 TPI: 535 g
    Medusa 2.1 120 TPI Exception: 515 g

LUST: An acronym which stands for “Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology.” The outside of the casing is covered in a lightweight material and an airtight rubber compound resulting in a durable tire that is lightweight with excellent air retention.

My question regarding the UST version: is this a proper UST tire with the thicker, heavier casing/compound or a Maxxis-like "TubeLess Ready" tire? If this is a full-scale UST tire, I won't need it as I'll be using sealant and using it on non-UST rims anyways. But then, if I went for one of the lighter versions, will the sidewall be strong enough and not burp air when cornering on low PSI? Just looking for the lightest option as I'll also use them in some races.

Thanks for your help!

g3h6o3
    Maxxis doesn't do tubeless ready tires. They do UST (LUST series) or regular.

Their regular tires are the easiest I've seen to setup tubeless with sealant and I would go that route. Never had a burp with a regular Maxxis, they are solid!

My experience is based on some Ignitors (On XC717 with Stan's strip) & Advantage (On Stan's Flow). I'll also be running the Aspen this year and possibly the Medusa (On either XC717 or XM819).

Quote Originally Posted by akindo
    Hi guys,

Im looking for a tire to run tubeless on my Mavic CrossRide 2010 rims with Stans NoTubes rim strips and sealant. For the rear I got a Bontrager Mud X tubeless ready. I want to get the Maxxis Medusa for up front, but not sure which version to get. I have three choices:

Medusa UST with LUST 2.1 120 TPI 665 g:
    Medusa 2.1 60 TPI: 535 g
    Medusa 2.1 120 TPI Exception: 515 g

LUST: An acronym which stands for “Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology.” The outside of the casing is covered in a lightweight material and an airtight rubber compound resulting in a durable tire that is lightweight with excellent air retention.

My question regarding the UST version: is this a proper UST tire with the thicker, heavier casing/compound or a Maxxis-like "TubeLess Ready" tire? If this is a full-scale UST tire, I won't need it as I'll be using sealant and using it on non-UST rims anyways. But then, if I went for one of the lighter versions, will the sidewall be strong enough and not burp air when cornering on low PSI? Just looking for the lightest option as I'll also use them in some races.

Thanks for your help!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Nice, thanks for that info. Think I'll get the 60 TPI version in that case.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Also had good luck with LUST...

I am using the LUST Ignitors (2.1 back and 2.3 front) with excellent success on XC717 with Stans rim strips and sealant. Never had a flat and been through at least 2-3 pairs front and rear. Nice to hear of success on the non-UST(LUST) version as well....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip richsto. I'd be using Stans rim strips and sealant as well.