mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Maxxis Maxxlite 29er Tire

Anyone use this (29 or 26 version)? Just found out about them and they're crazy light. Just wonder about durability. I would be using them for endurance events. Last thing I want is a tire failure in a long race. Last year at Leadville I sliced a sidewall on a Rocket Ron at mile 91. It was a huge bummer. Didn't think that would happen on that course, but i guess anytime rocks are involved it's possible. It's a gamble between weight and durability. The Rocket Rons seem to have a really thin sidewall. I've had that happen twice with those tires. Too bad b/c I like em...

mtbr member
    Yes, they are crazy light and crazy fast. The casing uses our thinnest material (170 tpi), so it's on the fragile side.

It's up to you whether you'd like to take the gamble. I would probably opt for a more robust rear tire.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Time to bring out the DTH in a 29er tire,it would be the best of both worlds,super fast,yet a very reliable tire...It would be the dream speed tire for dry hardpack and commuters !!

mtbr member
    anyone tried to run this guy tubeless?