Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    MTB B'dos
    If you're is looser terrain, the NN will definitely work better because of it's deeper knobs, better all around to cut into the loose and get grip/brake, if it's nice, moist hardpack, not sure which I'd pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    How well does the Ikon 2.35 work as a rear tire for All Mountain applications?

How does it compare to the Nobby Nic 2.35?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

Maxxis Ikon EXO 29er "Long Term" Review

I ran the NN/HD combo for a while... a short while 'cause IME the Schwalbe stuff just don't last that long. I went back to the Ikons F/R for wear, $$ and fast rolling, not traction. Maybe NN/Ikon is not really a apples/apples comparison.

I just put the DHF/DHR2 combo on to try that traction thing again ;^)

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by rx4mtb View Post
    I ran the NN/HD combo for a while... a short while 'cause IME the Schwalbe stuff just don't last that long. I went back to the Ikons F/R for wear, $$ and fast rolling, not traction. Maybe NN/Ikon is not really a apples/apples comparison.

I just put the DHF/DHR2 combo on to try that traction thing again ;^)
    And traction you shall have with that combo. That is what I am running now on one bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Any of you guys compared ikons to an ardent race? Thinking ikon rear, ardent race front but have never tried the ardent race.

I'm with stupid
    I have run the ardent race on the rear and was very impressed with it. I am thibking about in early summer running them front and rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath27 View Post
    Any of you guys compared ikons to an ardent race? Thinking ikon rear, ardent race front but have never tried the ardent race.
    I ran this combo on my previous bike (26er) and it worked well for dry & loose over hardpack conditions. It's more a XC setup with good weight and rolling resistance vs grip.

I'd run the regular Ardent before that so I was used to its cornering characteristics. If you haven't used an Ardent/Ardent Race up front then it can take a while to get used to its tendency to slide a bit if you don't get the bike over onto the side knobs in corners. Because the intermediate tread is almost non existent, it can slip a bit until the large side knobs take hold. The cure is to always get the bike tipped over so the side knobs are always getting grip.

mtbr member
    Disclaimer, I work for Maxxis. Katarina Nash won the 2015 BC Bike Race on this exact tire setup and it's really popular for a lot of 24 hour racers who might have vastly changing trail conditions depending on weather on race-day. It's a fast rolling XC tire setup for riders that need a little more bite up front.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Depends on conditions.

I run that combination mid-summer when it is dry and loose. For it size and weight the grip the Ardent race has in the loose is stunning. However, in wet conditions the Ardent race really struggles, if you are going to ride an XC tire from Maxxis in the wet condition the Ikon is the way to go.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Disclaimer, I work for Maxxis. Katarina Nash won the 2015 BC Bike Race on this exact tire setup and it's really popular for a lot of 24 hour racers who might have vastly changing trail conditions depending on weather on race-day. It's a fast rolling XC tire setup for riders that need a little more bite up front.
    When is the wider Ardent Race coming? A 2.35 Ardent Race with a 2.2 IKON in the back would be an amazing combo.

I'm having to go to a Purgatory 2.3 on the front of my 100 mile rig because I don't like the way the Ardent has the dead spot, and I need more ooomph than the 2.35 IKON provides

Warrior's Society

I have put a ton of miles on this combination....really liked it. Very fast, but enough hookup that I wasn't questioning whether it would hold in a loose turn.

It has been my go to combo for 12hr races and endurance rides.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's what I was hoping to hear. My plan is to use them for the breck epic and some NUE races this year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm also seeing people use the Ikon 2.35 F & R on XC hardtail 29ers for similar conditions. The 2.35 has much better cornering grip and better bump absorption than the skinnier 2.2.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by dischucker View Post
    I'm also seeing people use the Ikon 2.35 F & R on XC hardtail 29ers for similar conditions. The 2.35 has much better cornering grip and better bump absorption than the skinnier 2.2.
    My issue with the 2.2 Ikon as a rear was lack of braking traction. I assume the 2.35 would be better in that regard simply because of the larger footprint. Could you measure the actual total width?
    ASRc X0
    SB5c X0
    Cannondale Black
    (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95c (retired)
    SB95a (retired)

mtbr member

Maxxis Ikon EXO 29er "Long Term" Review

I measured my 2.35s before taking them off: 2.35" @ 20psi mounted on LB 23mm inner width wheels, measured at the widest point.

That's after 654 miles riding Austin chunk with a bit of CO goodness mixed in.
    Last edited by rx4mtb; 01-07-2016 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I bought them November last year and they are a monster tubeless tire, maxxis really know how to make a good tire. I feel they are kind of heavy maybe Y have a different version of it but the grip and handling is way better than the race King I had before.

Enviado desde mi C6906 mediante Tapatalk
    Visit my Photography WEBSITE
    Like me on FACEBOOK

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789