mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Maxxis Ikon 2.8 recommendation, please 😃

Hi...hoping Iím not posting wrong here. I have a very nice titanium 27.5+ hardtail. Iím currently running Maxxis Rekons (2.8) on a set of Stanís wheels and their hubs. I just ordered a set of Industry 9 Backcountry 360ís, (Beautiful wheels). Now I need to decide on tires. I ride to and from the trailhead on the street. I live in Colorado so the ground dries quickly and sorta sandy I guess. The rekons work well front and rear, but I was wondering what others thought of me running Maxxis Ikons 2.8ís front and rear. Iím looking for a little less rolling resistance, but not wanting to sacrifice too much of the traction that Rekons provide. I come from a triathlete background so this is all new to me...any suggestions?
    thanks, Larry

mtbr member
    Well, the Ikon will certainly be a little easier on the rolling resistance and in your neck of the woods the traction trade off might play ok.

My wife's Pivot came with Rekon front and Ikon rear and the Ikon made it about 1 week before I went Nobby Nic for her as the Ikon was a joke in New England, but two totally different soil and terrain things between CO and New England.

I could probably do a pic with side by side of 2.8 Ikon, Rekon, Nobby Nic etc. since we have more friggin' tires than I can shake a stick at.....
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the insight...your parting comment is funny😂. Do u think I would realize a big difference in speed between the ikon and rekon? I know Iíd possibly give up a little traction, but if the payoff is more speed then it might be worth it. I sold my Tri-bike and now all I have is my MTB...so, occasionally I plan on busting out 30-50 Miles on the road.
    Thanks, Larry

mtbr member

I promised a pic....

I know these will show thumbnail as sideways, if you open the pics they should be fine, I'm too lazy to play with them.

Top one L to R is Ikon, Rekon, Rocket Ron, Nobby Nic all 2.8"

Bottom Pic L to R is the same but I added a 29" 2.35 Dampf for comparison on our 29er sets we run those.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maxxis Ikon 2.8 recommendation, please 😃-img_2708.jpg  

Maxxis Ikon 2.8 recommendation, please 😃-img_2710.jpg  

2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike