mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 vs. Conti Explorer 2.1

I've ran Conti Explorer 2.1 as my front race tire last season and was happy with it's cornering ability, but would like to find something with a higher volume and that is a better roller (if possible). It looks like the Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 has a similar but slightly less aggressive tread pattern. Good, but I've read that the Ignitors run small.

How does the volume of the Ignitor 2.1 compare to the Explorer 2.1?

mbabaracus
    In my experience Conti tires are the bomb for predictable cornering. I run Maxxis Ignitor 2.1s on my XC rig. I reverse the rear tire's direction to get more bite in my sandy local conditions. I thought the tires were useless before I did that. The leading edge of each knob is ramped but the knobs are fairly tall and spread out. If you ride on hard surfaces you'll chew up the ignitors really fast - especially if you reverse the rear like I do. Because of the tread pattern the rolling vibration from the spread-out knobs is pretty heavy on hard surfaces. This is opposed to Conti's "endless edge" design which lowers rolling resistance. I'm pretty happy with the ignitors now but it's because of where I ride and the reversal of the rear tire. Your experience may vary.
    Last edited by mbabaracus; 03-22-2007 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry I don't understand "Conti tires are the bomb for predictable cornering"

Do you mean good???

mbabaracus
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Sorry I don't understand "Conti tires are the bomb for predictable cornering"

Do you mean good???
    Yes I mean good... Sorry for the antiquated and lame hipster lingo. Every set of Conti tires I've owned railed corners when used in their intended element.

bm

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ahhh excellent.

I have been considering the Conti Explorer....

In addition to the above points which tire has a tougher sidewall, to prevent cuts and tears from rocks. (East Slope Rockies Scree).

mbabaracus
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Ahhh excellent.

I have been considering the Conti Explorer....

In addition to the above points which tire has a tougher sidewall, to prevent cuts and tears from rocks. (East Slope Rockies Scree).
    Conti offers it's tires in a variety of durability options. I run the "protection" version of their traffic street tire on my commuting rig and they are bullet proof but for XC I typically buy the "supersonic" versions which are lighter and thus more prone to tears. I guess they offer the different versions to cater to your desire for weight vs durability. I have a hard time recommending ignitors, even though I run them currently and they meet my needs. I don't think the sidewall would hold up to a sharp rock. I also think Conti, in general, makes better tires. Please realize I am not a tire expert. I'm just relaying my experience.

bm

mtbr member
    May 2006
    And I thank you much fot it.

I have been poking at the Conti's posters all winter long about the Conti's and everything is good so far.

My studded tires will come off in a matter of weeks now.... yeah

So I'll buy a set of Conti Explorers Front and back and just go from there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the advantage of the Explorer Pro or Protection casing is that it's very resistant to cuts from sharp rocks, still being relatively light (520-540g) . The Vertical Pro 2.3 should have the same casing, but a slightly bigger volume (never tried tough)
    fab

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable
    The Vertical Pro 2.3 should have the same casing, but a slightly bigger volume (never tried tough)
    fab
    Bigger volume and much deeper tread. I put one up front and found it slow rolling. Cornered great, however! An Explorer is plenty for XC, I think, if you don't mind the low volume. Still looking, however...

Double-metric mtb man
    Anyone tried the Slash? It has the same tread as the Edge but is wider (2.3 vs 2.1). Maybe I should just ask how people have liked the Edge.

I'm looking at somthing newer for an all rounder on a more XC oriented bike. It commutes, so I want to stay with a decent tire that will last, but I also deal with mud and snow (joys of being Canadian). Any opinions out there?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I just tried Ignitors this past weekend in Moab and Fruita. Liked them a lot. I used to ride Conti Explorers (not sure if it was a model with thicker sidewall or not). I thought the traction was decent but was never in awe of it. My first run with the Ignitors impressed me more. The Ignitors seemed to be very fast as well.

On another note, I've ripped the sidewalls of two Conti Explorers in situations that just did not seem like a rip should have occurred. I've been riding for 14 years and most of it in harsher terrain than the Denver front range area, and have never before rippped a sidewall. The second tire I ripped was the replacement for the first. Both tires only had 2 to 4 rides on them. That gets to be expensive and has left me with a 'bad taste' regarding Conti tires. I don't know if I'll ever ride them again. Maybe it was just a run of bad luck, but the fact that the rips happened in such close sequence was enough to turn me off of Conti.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by tsvaughn
    Bigger volume and much deeper tread. I put one up front and found it slow rolling. Cornered great, however! An Explorer is plenty for XC, I think, if you don't mind the low volume. Still looking, however...
    One of the tires I'm looking forward is the Vertical in front, Explorer in back. Right now I have a Nevegal Stick-E 2.35 front/ Nev DTC 2.1 rear. I love the grip but I want something with less rolling resistance.... I thought the Verti would have a low rolling ressistance, but now I don't know.

Still looking for tires, I'm in no hurry to change (I will be off my bike for a while ... ).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just got the UST version of the ignitors and I really like them. They are replacing the stock Bonty ACX that came on the bike. I find them to be faster and grip better then the ACX. Have never tried the Explorers so I can't compare.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How does the volume of the Ignitor 2.1 compare to the Explorer 2.1? Ballpark estimates, anyone?