mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Maxxis Holy Roller Life Span?

I just installed a set of Maxxis Holy Rollers on my KHS XC104. First of all, I love these tires! My KHS weighs in around 30-32 LBS and is generally a brute to ride with traditional aggressive mtb tires. The Maxxis Holy Rollers make ridding a lot more enjoyable both on the street and on trails!!

Anyhow, my question is this, what can I expect to see in terms of tread or over all tire life? This bike spends 99% of it's time on trails. I switch between bikes but I probably put about 15-20ml a week on this bike. I'm also a Clydesdale weighing in @275lbs.

Thanks.

No Stranger to danger....
    I use holy rollers for cruizin round the city as my concrete pair of tyres along with maxxis DTH.
    Man the holy rollers have to be one of the longest wearing tyres on the market.
    You will not have to replace your front for ages, the back obviously wears quicker but you wont find a longer lasting pair of tyres than those, they are pretty heavy but have a lot or rubber on them, maxxis tyres are the only tyres i use, i just like em.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

undercover brother
    I ride one in the rear and its held up pretty well. I like mine a lot for most conditions, but mud is absolutely terrible (just a heads up). The compact tread design becomes almost like a slick in real muddy conditions.

Holy rollers were originally made as a BMX tyre to be used on hard pack flat tracks and for urban riding.
    Definatly not a tyre to be used taking on roots n rocks, as i said if its flat trails they should be ok, but for anything more they are going to be pretty dangerous tyres and tangaroo is spot on, they are a poor tyre for mud...

undercover brother
    My bad, I have a high roller, not holy roller!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    My bad, I have a high roller, not holy roller!!!
    I was only just thinking a few might make that mistake, lol, ive got HIGH rollers too, they are as opposite as you can get to the holy rollers, i fing the high rollers not to bad in the mud, but because the HOLY rollers are block pattern they are truly shocking in the mud and on the roots n rocks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the info!

Ya, just looking at the Holy Rollers you can tell mud is out of the question. I generally ride on hard packed trails and avoid mud. However I do encounter the occasional root but nothing serious and I try to bypass them or hop over them when possible.

I may put the Holy Rollers on my Cannondale Trail and pick up a diffrent set of Maxxis tires for the KHS.

^^ heres a good maxxis combo for trail, put a HIGH roller on the back, and a MINION on the front, cheers