View Poll Results: Which tire has the best traction/grip?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Maxxis Minion

21 55.26%
  • Maxxis High Roller

6 15.79%
  • Panaracer Fire XC Pro

7 18.42%
  • WTB VelociRaptor 2.1

4 10.53%
    mtbr member

Maxxis High Roller vs. Minion vs. Panaracer Fire XC Pro vs. WTB VelociRaptor 2.1

What would you say has the best traction?

Maxxis High Roller
    Maxxis Minion
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    WTB VelociRaptor 2.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The Minion...

DHF/DHR combo is hard to beat. They hook up very solidly. The WTB offering is only okay because of the scketchy front tire, the Raptor front washes way to easily. The rear hooks up solid though, but the roll very slow.

The Fires are good, but not as leanable as the Minion. They are predicatable, but the square tread profile doesn't give you allot of warning before you reach the tires limits.

The Highroller is a very good tire as well. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if a lighter faster rolling tire than the Minion is needed. The hook up for climbs and corner well.

The problem with your comparison is you are comparing 3 cross country tires (Fire, Raptor, and Highroller) to a DH/Freeride tire (Minion). And traction isn't the end all of tire performance.

But from strictly a traction stand point I give the knod to the Minions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oh i though the High Roller is also a DH tire?

Yeah traction isn't the end all, but after riding with my tires i suppose, its really pushed me to find something with superior traction. I mean like, with my tires, i managed to come off my bike when just trying to get back on the track from the side grass. I just turned and leaned a bit into the track and the wheel slipped out.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Oh i though the High Roller is also a DH tire?
    There's different versions.

The very skinny 2.1XC version in it's various guises with light casing and the 2.35 to 2.5 DH versions with dual ply casings.

Don't expect them to be fast rolling though.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

squish is good
    Minion DHfs are the best gripping tire I've used front and back. They roll slow as snot though so keep that in mind.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Minions

mtbr member
    Yeah, i'm leaning more and more towards the Minions. They seem like really good tires. The two variations that are of interest to me are the Minions 2.35" (Kevlar) and the normal 2.5". The Kevlar would obviously be much lighter, which is ideal, but i've read that the minions appear to be thinner than the specified width, like some one had said the 2.5 = 2.3 and that the 2.3 are smaller than other brands at 2.3. Any ideas?

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I have a Minion DHr on the back of my 575 and it is the best gripping tire I've used. Slow as molasses, but man does it grab when breaking coming downhill. I have a Nevegal on the front and it feels like a fast rolling tire compared to the Minion. I previously thought the Nevegal was the slowest rolling tire around.

mtbr member
    Hmm. The Nevegal seem like pretty good tires, will have to look into that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    Hmm. The Nevegal seem like pretty good tires, will have to look into that.
    Nev's are good, but Minions have better traction (well in my own world anyways)... ever look into Schwalbe tyres ?

mtbr member
    Not really, but i have been told that the Schwalbe Nobby Nic are really good, but i haven't read much on it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Big Betty is very popular. Many 2.35 Nevegal owners are switching. I will be replacing my Nev's with BB's soon. BB rolls better apparently and have more volume with great grip.

Some use Big Betty front with Fat Albert rear.

Nobby Nic has been well received. Maybe not as grippy as the above, but supposedly roll very good for their grip.

mtbr member
    Big Betty looks quite similar to the Minions rear, how do they compare to the Minions front in terms of grip? I assume that it'll be better in rolling.