Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005

Maxxis High roller UST issues

Wanted to see if its just me or if anybody else has had a problem getting a maxxis high roller UST bead to seat. Ive aired up dozens of UST tires and never had a problem, but this is my first go around with a Maxxis. the tire went on almost too easy (819 rim). It also does not say UST on the side wall but did on the packaging so Im starting to wonder if its a UST tire at all. When I put air to it it just seems to blow out around the bead. I tried soaping and working the bead etc but it will not seat. and yes I am using an air compressor with about 100 psi of pressure.

mtbr member
    Where did you purchase this tire? A Maxxis UST Tire should have the UST symbol on the sidewall, and "TUBELESS" molded onto the sidewall.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    well thats a bit of an issue too, the bike shop closed about a month ago. I had bought it a few months back as I knew I was going to need one at some point here and wanted it ready to go.

mtbr member
    its no big deal, I use both, and they work very well, no flats in over a year, if I use tubes I pinch flat within minutes of going into a trail (220 lbs rider that likes low psi)
    Just use "lots" of soapy water the "suds" (the more suds the better) help seal the tire; press in on the tire with your hand just above the valve, this is where most of the air will escape, when you press in with your hand you will hear the sound of the air wheezing out change pitch. Use your hand, do not rest the tire on the floor. Also make sure you remove the valve core, with the core in, you cant get enough air volume to seal the tire (CFM not PSI is the trick), this makes a hell of a difference..................... if this doesn't do the trick take your clothes of and watch some TV ...it doesn't fix your problem but it sure as hell is relaxing
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    Wanted to see if its just me or if anybody else has had a problem getting a maxxis high roller UST bead to seat. Ive aired up dozens of UST tires and never had a problem, but this is my first go around with a Maxxis. the tire went on almost too easy (819 rim). It also does not say UST on the side wall but did on the packaging so Im starting to wonder if its a UST tire at all. When I put air to it it just seems to blow out around the bead. I tried soaping and working the bead etc but it will not seat. and yes I am using an air compressor with about 100 psi of pressure.

Well, that sounds odd. In my experience, Maxxis High Rollers are a real pain to get on.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    i double checked when i got home, sure enough, no mention of UST or tubless anywhere on the tire even though the packaging had said UST, tubless and LUST
    but the nevegal that i picked up at another shop on the way home worked just fine. guess i just will put it on the shelf and use it later on a tubed wheel

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    My High roller mounted up easily on my 819. I'm running a tube on it right now to get the beads on tight, then I'll toss in some sealant and yank the tube.

Edit-forgot to mention, mine is NOT a UST.
    Last edited by Datalogger; 03-07-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

on my 3rd wind...
    Here's picture of my Maxxis Highroller 2.35 UST. Yes, it was real pain in the arse to fit over the 819 rim...had to use leather gloves. Sealed up fine with Stans goo and maybe 2 psi air loss over a week, if that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sth

EDR
    All UST tires carry the 'UST' logo.

Forget what the box says, the tire you have is not a ust tire. It could have easily been mixed up by the lbs for whatever reason, intentional or not.