mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Maxxis front and rear recommendations for Trek Stache 29er?

Hi All, first post to forum, long time lurker. Haven't been able to pin point a previous thread to answer this so I thought I would post a new thread.

Currently running Bonty XR3's tubeless at 30 psi F & R. Looking for some suggestions on some Maxxis rubber for F & R to replace. Overall not happy with the XR3's performance, they seem great on hardpack but a little scary in the corners and on climbs in the looser stuff.

Namely looking for something that climbs well in steeper, sandier conditions and handles rocky root filled steeper descents.

I am 6'0" and 180 with gear.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Slower But Faster
    Ardent would fit the bill if your conditions are generally dry. Go for a Minion DHF if conditions are wetter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    At your weight on a Stache 8 you first can try 20/25 fr/rr for much MI terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would recommend the ardent race based on the tread patter on the XR3 which appears to be quite similar to the Ikon. The ikon 2.35" might be a good choice, same center blocks and taller corner blocks and big volume. I have one but haven't had time to try it out yet, probably next spring since it's the middle of CX season for me right now.

I also finished up a short blog post on some of the Maxxis XC tires I was able to try this year, might help you out some. YMMV

Maxxis XC Race Mountain Bike Tires - Cycling and Suffering

Crash Dummy In Training
    I recently put a set of Maxxis Ikon's 2.2 front and rear on my Stump Jumper Comp hard tail and I will say I'm impressed.
    I was running Spec Captain in the the front 2.2 and a 1.95 Renegade in the rear which I liked.
    But the Ikon's grip a lot better climbing and cornering and roll pretty fast.
    And feel a lot lighter.
    I'm 190 geared up and run them on a set of Light bicycle Carbon 27 mm outer and 22 mm inner width bead hook less rims at 28 psi rear and 25 psi front I'm going to lower that to see how they feel.
    The Maxxis 3C compound seems to really grip well.
    The one thing I will do next time is order the TR model since they set up better tubeless.
    FWIW ebikestop had the best prices...
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks everyone for the comments, going to drop the pressure and try that the rest of the season. I think the Ikon seems to be a popular choice going to give those a try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A future option for next season could be some wider wheels. I get more traction for climbing and cornering and very noticeable sidewall support for less washouts from 30mm inside rims using XR1 Teams on my SF 9.8. Added comfort from more volume too.

mtbr member
    I ran 26x2.4 Ardents front and back in Moab. I'd say that's some pretty sandy climbing. They performed beautifully even in off camber sandy steps (the side knobs grabbed great) and "paddled" through the sand pits really well.