Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maxxis Crossmark snipping/tweaking

Hello,

Anybody tried the Crossmark modification mentionned here:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...-8-UST.34.html

I really like the Crossmark for dry hardpack conditions in the summer, but they lack some cornering grip and can get pretty sketchy in wet conditions, with leaves, mud, etc. From the description in the article, it sounds like a great modification to make the tire slightly less "condition specific", but I've never heard it reported or recommended elsewhere.

If that matters, I have the 2.25 F/R on a XC hardtail. I also have a set of wheels with Conti Trail Kings 2.2 on a full susp trail bike and I don't expect the cut Crossmark to become excellent performers in the wet. I am just looking at giving the CM a bit more cornering bite.

So...anybody did the mod? Any drawbacks and/or reasons not to do it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by A.P.; 10-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Interesting that removing knobs makes the tire grip better in the corners...
    I could picture it, though. My new bike came with 29x2.1 Crossmarks that I immediately swapped for my preferred trail tire (Specialized Purgatory Control 2.3). I had tried Crossmarks years ago and didn't remember being a big fan. I thought I would maybe mount them up for a 38-mile gravel road race I do every year. I'd like to hear if anyone confirms this tuning because I would be interested in improved cornering traction on loose gravel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I haven't tried it, but it can't hurt. The Crossmark was probably the worst tire I ever bought. I'll definitely try that mod some day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Tried it and it worked really well.

I chose 29" Crossmarks for the 2010 Transalp Challenge for their light rolling and wanted them to corner a bit better on loose stuff. Cutting out the little round knobs made it feel like a new tire, which Competitive Cyclist also says.

Another mod is to cut out one or two of the rectanglular knobs in the middle row, between the 'swiss cross' knobs. This increases straight line grip (braking, climbing) a lot, as well as grip on slippery rocks and roots.

I totally agree with CC on this: The Crossmark seems to be made for modification to make it suit your needs. If you are not happy with them, either sell them as new, or definitly try one of these mods.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks! Would you advise cutting the round knob both on the front and rear? ...or front only?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I only did the front, because the front tire has the most effect on cornering grip and feel. At least in my mind .

Good luck. You will notice there are a lot of those round knobs! A sharp not too large set of pliers is the right tool for the job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Do you guys mount your Crossmarks in reverse to more simulate a more knobby tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NOCSUCOW View Post
    Do you guys mount your Crossmarks in reverse to more simulate a more knobby tire?
    I did that, but the whole thing is symmetrical apart from the transition knobs that have a ramp on one side and an edge on the other, so the difference is small. Turning a Crossmark around does not make it a more knobby tire. It just tunes it a bit towards a bit more climbing grip vs. a bit more braking grip .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run them in opposite direction front vs rear.

Front for braking, rear for climbing traction.

mtbr member
    I went ahead and tuned since this tire is sitting in my parts bin anyway. The remaining side knobs now appear like they would have a better chance to bite and not have their penetration hindered by the little round knobs.

I like how it looks but I won't be mounting them up soon to try them out. But here are some pics at least.

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 10-04-2012 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ^ got a pic of whatever scissors/tool you used to get those off? I started cutting some of mine off last night but my scissors were really tight fitting and cramping my fingers. I tried a wire cutting tool but it wouldn't get as deep as my scissors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOCSUCOW View Post
    ^ got a pic of whatever scissors/tool you used to get those off? I started cutting some of mine off last night but my scissors were really tight fitting and cramping my fingers. I tried a wire cutting tool but it wouldn't get as deep as my scissors.
    I hear ya! I first tried with a set of wire cutters and quicly realized it wasn't the right tool for the job. I had great luck with a pair of sheers with narrow blades. I could use just the tip of the shears to get at the round knob from the side and the blades were narrow enough to fit beween the round knob and the surrounding rectangular knobs. They were actually very cheap sheers that came from the hardware store. They looked something like this.

No good in rock gardens..
    Can you guys get the Maxxis Rendez? The 2.1 matches the Crossmark for volume and is a great front tyre in loose conditions IMO. Save all that knob snipping.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If it matters to anyone, I weighed what I cut off of one of my 26x2.1 Exo Protection tire and it was 18grams
    Last edited by NOCSUCOW; 10-05-2012 at 06:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Can you guys get the Maxxis Rendez? The 2.1 matches the Crossmark for volume and is a great front tyre in loose conditions IMO. Save all that knob snipping.
    Maxxis Rendez? Never heard of it... I just googles it and I don't think its available around here.

eBiker
    For more hardpack grip... sipe those intermediate knobs!

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I cut the round knobs on my front CM earlier today. No ride on it yet, but from the look of the tire, I'd agree those knobs were almost made to be removed. It now looks even more aggressive than I thought it would be. Can't wait to try it. If I like it, I'll probably tweak the rear tire too.

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    I decided to work on sealing them up for tubeless usage. So far the conversion is going well, one seems air tight but the other got a bit soft overnight. Some weeping occurring around the beads. I gotta say, this tire is looking more attractive and I'll throw them on for XC racing next season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    Interesting that removing knobs makes the tire grip better in the corners...
    This mod allows the remaining side knobs to support more weight and really bite in.

I might have to try this although I've always been pretty happy with the Crossmark for GA conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have done this before and really liked the handling results especially on softer terrains.

mtbr member
    Damn little nubs flying all over my garage.

Also helps to fold tire like so to expose the nub in order to achieve clean cut.

Wear gloves, there are more nubs than you think - I got a damn blister. Thought about cutting the skin flap off blister w/ same snips I used to cut nubs - but decided to be safe and not risk an infection or worse yet grow nubs on my fingers. Isn't that how spider man came to be? **** I think I drank to much beer.
    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by funnyjr; 10-09-2012 at 10:41 PM.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    doing this this weekend. should have bike finished by mid next week, so i will give you a good ride report on my tuned CMs.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Just modded my 650b CM by removing the round side knobs....I used a new pair of narrow bladed pruning cutters I purchased from my local hardware chain store.

My CM is mounted tubeless on the rear and has certainly improved what is the worst tyre in the Maxxis line up.....only running it because I'm sick of piss weak walled schwalbes blowing off the rims Grrrrrrr

Anyway, the mod definitely improves the corner grip of the tyre......I didn't push it to hard, just trying to gauge it's behavior....update to follow

mtbr member
    May 2005

Maxxis Crossmark snipping/tweaking

Made some more mods to the Crossmark by cutting slits into the + of the centre block to get some more driving edges.

Last edited by Gripo; 02-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I think the only Crossmark mod I'd want to make is to get them off my bike! I've been using them for about a month and I'm not a fan. They're heavy and don't grip well. However, they do hold air like no other, but that's nothing a pump couldn't fix with another tire. I'm going with Specialized's Purgatory and Ground Control for F/R.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast